Mark 5, By Accurascale

53 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

That does look 'special'.

Is 'running backwards' going to be a regular thing - just seems 'wrong' even if 'push-pull' services have been commonplace for decades?

Al.

If by 'regular' you mean 50% of the time, then yes.

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

Sometimes stating the obvious is embarrassing but at least it clarifies!!

Should be fun at scale, 'though I managed to do the same with my Hornby Super Detail HST for a few laps without major issue, albeit at reduced speed ...

What length are the rakes typically - stay at 5-coach, or multiples of, not exceeding 10?

Al.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:21, adb968008 said:

video of the TPE departing Carlisle, I'm old fashioned,  it's nice to see "real" trains again, even if they are going backwards :-)

Wouldn't it be nice someday if the Manchester - Glasgow turned into Class 88 and Mark5's too :-)

Thank you for that. I agree about old-fashioned trains. I had a trip in a Class 150 when it was getting on in years. I was quite impressed but there is no getting away from the slight noise and vibration from the underfloor engine, even if it was well muffled. An unpowered coach avoids that problem.

I didn’t follow Corporal Jones’ advice. I panicked because Dapol’s TPE 68s seemed to be disappearing  like money at a booking office. One is on its way. I’m glad I panicked. Now for the Mk. Vs. (Note the old-fashioned touch. None of this new-fangled Arabic stuff for me!)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Sometimes stating the obvious is embarrassing but at least it clarifies!!

Should be fun at scale, 'though I managed to do the same with my Hornby Super Detail HST for a few laps without major issue, albeit at reduced speed ...

What length are the rakes typically - stay at 5-coach, or multiples of, not exceeding 10?

Al.

Take a look at the video adb968008 posted on the previous screen for the TPE. A lovely, easily modellable train. With any luck, you’ll get a link to a video or two about the Caledonian Sleeper, which will have you thinking about an extension to  your layout and an extension to your dwelling to accommodate it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well my TPE 68 arrived on Friday. It is as you said a stunning model. I already have Avenger in DRS Compass livery  but the TPE livery really adds to it . Struggling with something to run it with until your mk5s arrive. What became obvious was that Brutus didn’t like the wide couplings of my Lima, Hornby ,Joueff Mk3s , with derailments when the coupling throws on corners . i know the Dapol coupling on the 68s is a bit low or even droopy. It does run ok with  the narrower couplings of my Airfix Mk2ds . I mention this only because obviously she needs to run well with your forthcoming Mk5s both pulling and pushing . I know you are at early stages but clearly testing compatibility of couplings would be very useful . 

Edited by Legend
Got the name of my 68 wrong! Avenger not Astute
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Legend said:

testing compatibility of couplings . 

Only if there was some sort of universal standard manufacturers adhere to these days, hmm, ;) 

Sorry I tease, clearly we know the Normal European Modelling (NEM) Standards for coupling shall be applied to the Mk5As as they are to the Class 68. 

Of course, if you are going to push-pull, a Kadee semi-permental coupler is highly advised with the class 68.

I believe Hornby’s latest Mk3 coaches come with a new NEM coupling? But then again, I cannot recall any suitable Mk3 livery produced to suit a 68. 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, 159220 said:

...Of course, if you are going to push-pull, a Kadee semi-permental coupler is highly advised with the class 68...

I would suggest a more pragmatic approach if planning on installing couplers in the NEM pockets, and determining by trial once the vehicle combination is available which of the NEM compatible coupler options function best. If either or both vehicles have close coupling mechanisms fitted, then the 'rigid bar' couplers from Roco and Fleischmann are likely to function best, especially when propelling; as these act to positively recentre the mechanism exiting curves.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Like all Accurascale models, the NEM pocket will be at correct height. Tension locks are not great when it comes to push/pull operation so we will most likely provide a different coupling solution, which will be NEM compatible with additional couplings for the locomotive in the detail pack along with a spare tension lock for those who prefer that system.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 11

20 hours ago, 071 said:

Hi All,

Like all Accurascale models, the NEM pocket will be at correct height. Tension locks are not great when it comes to push/pull operation so we will most likely provide a different coupling solution, which will be NEM compatible with additional couplings for the locomotive in the detail pack along with a spare tension lock for those who prefer that system.

Cheers!

Fran

You'd be spot on there Fran. Our Scottish Push Pull 47/7s and mk2/3s  (and push and pull sets 27/1 mk2s 27/2 etc) sets are all close coupled with Kadees and work perfectly. Seems obvious to sort of copy what the real thing uses as near as is possible. Will be intrigued by what solution you land on

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Marcus-Jay said:

Another preemptive question.. Will the MkV DVT have pre-built provision/space for a speaker and sound fitting if we desired or would we be butchering the unit from the get-go?

Cheers,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

We're making provision for DCC fitment. Space for a sugarcube etc should be fine. Is this for station announcements, door sounds etc? 

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 071 said:

Hi Marcus,

We're making provision for DCC fitment. Space for a sugarcube etc should be fine. Is this for station announcements, door sounds etc? 

Cheers!

Fran

Horn, brake sounds etc. I have a number of 'fitted' MkIII DVTsand it does add to things when the toot comes from the front. Not the sort of unit that will require a 'mega bass' speaker!

Could probably throw in some guards announcements in there. And it is always nice when the lights work as a complete set with red at the back and white at the front.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Marcus-Jay said:

Another preemptive question.. Will the MkV DVT have pre-built provision/space for a speaker and sound fitting if we desired or would we be butchering the unit from the get-go?

Cheers,

Marcus

Pedant alert. The Mk5 isn't a DVT - it's a DTSO - driving trailer standard open - there is no guard's van space.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

Pedant alert.

Well seeing as it is the hour... 

The terminology by Beacon Rail (owner)/CAF (design/manufacture) of the Mk5A is:

DT (Driving Trailer), T2 (Trailer Two with Cycle Space), two x T3 (Trailer Three's), T1 (Trailer One with TSI-PRM Access Toilet, First Class seating, Catering 'Area' and Staff/Guard 'Area') & Locomotive (Class 68). 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 159220 said:

Well seeing as it is the hour... 

The terminology by Beacon Rail (owner)/CAF (design/manufacture) of the Mk5A is:

DT (Driving Trailer), T2 (Trailer Two with Cycle Space), two x T3 (Trailer Three's), T1 (Trailer One with TSI-PRM Access Toilet, First Class seating, Catering 'Area' and Staff/Guard 'Area') & Locomotive (Class 68). 

We have a naming structure to avoid owners/builders obscurateing what is being produced, like the Mk4 'Pullmans'

So we have DTSO, TSOx3, TSOD, BFO(T) (the latter depending on whether it has a parking brake)

• Agree 2

The Manufacturers drawings designate the TPE as T1 (universal access friendly coach), T2 (bike spaces), T3 (standard open) and DT (funky shaped cab bit) so it tallies with 159220's post, albeit his nomenclature is a bit more technical than mine.

RM

• Agree 1

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:37, 071 said:

Hi All,

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran,

My recommendation there would be the ROCO style couplings (Hornby supply them with their coaches).

https://www.roco.cc/en/product/22591-0-0-0-0-0-0-003005-0/products.html

https://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x10626-nem-close-couplings-for-coaches-pk2.ir

It locks the connection between vehicles, like a bar coupling from Bachmann, but allows you to be able to easily uncouple vehicles when you wish to break the train up for transport etc.

These are really effective in making sure that the close coupling system works fully in both pull and push situations.

My coach stock fitted with close coupling systems, only ever use these now.

Rgds John 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Question for Accurascale/Irish Railway Models.

At a quick glance the mk5 coaches are similar to the Irish Rail Mk 4 coaches on the Dublin to Cork line.  Are they close enough for any of the following to give a reasonable representation: a) simple re livery, b) purchaser modification & repaint or c) RTR version?

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Correcting auto correct.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Question for Accurascale/Irish Railway Models.

At a quick glance the mk5 coaches are similar to the Irish Rail Mk 4 coaches on the Dublin to Cork line.  Are they close enough for any of the following to give a reasonable representation: a) simple re livery, b) purchaser modification & repaint or c) RTR version?

Hi Colin,

unfortunately they’re quite different in profile, size, windows and bogies. So that’s a non-starter for us I’m afraid.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 071 said:

Hi Colin,

unfortunately they’re quite different in profile, size, windows and bogies. So that’s a non-starter for us I’m afraid.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran,

But a lot of the running gear, the hardest part to make on a model, is the same, I think. Perhaps you could make a few extras for people to use as parts in scratchbuilt Irish models?

• Agree 1