Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
On 15/05/2022 at 16:30, 97406 said:

I think this is one of the best examples 

I’ve always liked 92038, which retained the Crewe depot plates and ‘polo mints’ after repaint into CS teal. Lost the BR arrows though. It ran for a while with no CS logos too. 

92038 Blisworth 090615

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Exciting news and views from the factory this morning. 

Production of our Class 92 locomotives is well underway, with the injection moulding nearing completion. Next step will be painting, before final assembly.

Class92-3.jpg.53981e4be3e9d5ae5344c03eae797bff.jpg

Class92-1.jpg.848865e3e4c32bb9e3158aca75a8085f.jpg

With several variants already sold out pre-ordering is recommended. You can do so via your local stockist, or direct via our website ahead of late Q3 2022 delivery. Click here to pre-order yours today: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/british-rail-class-92? 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Production of our Class 92 locomotives is well underway, with the injection moulding nearing completion. Next step will be painting, before final assembly.

Would I be right in saying that all the class 92s are pretty much the same? So no variation in the body moulds? Must be a much easier job than moulding all the Deltics, or Class 37s. 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Would I be right in saying that all the class 92s are pretty much the same? So no variation in the body moulds? Must be a much easier job than moulding all the Deltics, or Class 37s. 

Hi Tom,

It's no 37, (or even Deltic!) but two different positions of polo mints, with a third variant without them at all. Then there are the two types of headlight with LEDs coming into fashion in recent years and then cut outs on the buffer beam also being a recent change, drawbar changes etc.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/02/2019 at 10:06, JSpencer said:

DCC controlable panto is fine, but to be really novel, they could have DCC controled lifting shoe beams.

What is the shoe beam? Is that the part that touches the overhead wire? If it is I did not realize they could move it. Makes sense that they could from the cab. If that is the shoe beam I agree that would be cool if the could control that with DCC.

Edited by wairoa

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, wairoa said:

What is the shoe beam? Is that the part that touches the overhead wire? If it is I did not realize they could move it. Makes sense that they could from the cab. If that is the shoe beam I agree that would be cool if the could control that with DCC.

The ‘shoe beam’ is the thing upon which individual 3rd rail pickup shoes are mounted on.

3rd Rail shoe beams / pick up shoes are out of gauge on SNCF infrastructure* and will clout things like shunt signals so they had to be retractable when not on UK rail infrastructure.

* Although there is nothing for deployed 3rd rail pickup gear to hit in the UK infrastructure wise, it was very common in the early days of Thameslink for the 319s (which do not have retractable pick up gear) to come back from the MML without theirs as it had got ripped off by high ballast shoulders suggesting retractable gear is a good idea even within the UK

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, wairoa said:

The shoe beam is this bit arrowed below. The beam has collector shoes to collect electricity from the third rail (750ish Volts of DC). The thing on the roof that touches the overhead wire is called a pantograph (collecting 25kV AC).

FD3CAA14-2A7A-437B-B278-50EA0EDEA8B4.thumb.jpeg.275a2564eaa1003e4480321f46a7b9c9.jpeg

This is 92022 Charles Dickens at the Crewe Basford Hall Open Day, 28th August 1995 … and I have one of these lovely loco’s on pre-order!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, wairoa said:

Class 92s also operate on third rail (well some of them still can).

The shoe beam is attached to the bogie and when lowered will touch the third rail at the side of the track

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

Yes. I think many of us are going to have rakes of Mk5 sleepers sitting in sidings with nothing to pull them.

That was quite realistic for CS too for a while, whilst the 92’s were being converted to mk5 spec.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We know all the Accurascale locomotive excitement is happening in another thread with the Deltics arriving, but we've a small update on another of our beauties. It's the turn of the Class 92, which as you can see, has now progressed to the decoration phase of production.

1229743244_Class92-2(1).thumb.jpg.65296bb1d8242e6a0b3d2aa2e40204d0.jpg

This process has just begun but it's another significant milestone in the production process on what promises to be the most technologically advanced loco ever in OO/4mm. With twin DCC operated raising and lowering pantographs, powerbank capacitors, a very heavy diecast chassis with powerful 5 pole skew-wound motor complete with 2 meaty flywheels, full lighting packages and a wealth of detail, they will lead the way in electric locomotives in 00/4mm scale.

1465589533_Class92-3(1).thumb.jpg.9727002924f50201fda3e75fc44176cc.jpg

With several versions already sold out direct with us there has never been a better time to pre-order. Priced at £189.99 DC/DCC ready and £279.99 DCC sound fitted with ESU Lok Sound 5, twin speaker set up and Legomanbiffo sounds, they offer exceptional value for money.

Order today via your local stockist, or direct for a Q3 2022 delivery. https://www.accurascale.com/collections/british-rail-class-92

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2022 at 16:58, phil-b259 said:

The ‘shoe beam’ is the thing upon which individual 3rd rail pickup shoes are mounted on.

3rd Rail shoe beams / pick up shoes are out of gauge on SNCF infrastructure* and will clout things like shunt signals so they had to be retractable when not on UK rail infrastructure.

* Although there is nothing for deployed 3rd rail pickup gear to hit in the UK infrastructure wise, it was very common in the early days of Thameslink for the 319s (which do not have retractable pick up gear) to come back from the MML without theirs as it had got ripped off by high ballast shoulders suggesting retractable gear is a good idea even within the UK

The shoe beams were/are not out-of gauge on SNCF but the shoes in lowered position were/are out of gauge.  As there were persistent problems with shoe retraction on Eurostars at one time SNCF threatened to provide concrete blocks at their boundary with Eurotunnel to make absolute sure that no un-retracted 3rd rail shoes got any further onto their network.

The biggest problem with shoes was that anything loose could get caught up in them and on one occasion a train was stopped at Hondeghem because it had upset a lineside detector (of the hot box sort??) because although the shoe had retracted some newspaper had been caught up round it.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The shoe beams were/are not out-of gauge on SNCF but the shoes in lowered position were/are out of gauge.  As there were persistent problems with shoe retraction on Eurostars at one time SNCF threatened to provide concrete blocks at their boundary with Eurotunnel to make absolute sure that no un-retracted 3rd rail shoes got any further onto their network.

The biggest problem with shoes was that anything loose could get caught up in them and on one occasion a train was stopped at Hondeghem because it had upset a lineside detector (of the hot box sort??) because although the shoe had retracted some newspaper had been caught up round it.

I had a morning ruined when a shoe decided to stay down on the approach to the Tunnel; it took out some sort of signalling equipment, stopping the job completely for most of the morning. Being after a night shift, there was only one S&T Technician available, as the others had been working over night.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Fran and team, my apologies as I don't know if this has been raised in connection with the Class 92s but would it be possible to deliver them with bufferbeam detail fitted at one end? For those like myself who are not that skilled in fitting these items it would be a huge boon. I'm hoping that my DPS and Rails Deltics are easy to do when they arrive. I confess I am a collector who mainly displays my models and only runs them occasionally, but I am sure there are others like me out there for whom the pre-fitted detail would be highly useful. I know that suggestions are read by the team at Accurascale so hope that my contribution is at least considered. Congratulations by the way to Fran and the team who seem extremely helpful and pro-active and seem to have produced a masterpiece with their production of the Deltic. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

Fran and team, my apologies as I don't know if this has been raised in connection with the Class 92s but would it be possible to deliver them with bufferbeam detail fitted at one end? For those like myself who are not that skilled in fitting these items it would be a huge boon. I'm hoping that my DPS and Rails Deltics are easy to do when they arrive. I confess I am a collector who mainly displays my models and only runs them occasionally, but I am sure there are others like me out there for whom the pre-fitted detail would be highly useful. I know that suggestions are read by the team at Accurascale so hope that my contribution is at least considered. Congratulations by the way to Fran and the team who seem extremely helpful and pro-active and seem to have produced a masterpiece with their production of the Deltic. 

Hi Sir William!

This is the "out of the box" appearance. We can do it on the 92 as the pipe are stowed away. On our other locos they would still foul the coupler even in the stowed position

91-2.jpg

91-1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks McC for your quick reply, the 92 buffer beam detailing looks very well fitted and is a perfect solution for my needs and hopefully many others. Once again well done Accurascale, looking forward to 92010! 

Edited by sirwilliamfrs
correction
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, McC said:

Hi Sir William!

This is the "out of the box" appearance. We can do it on the 92 as the pipe are stowed away. On our other locos they would still foul the coupler even in the stowed position

91-2.jpg

91-1.jpg

But would it be a good idea to include cut down pipes as well that don't foul on locomotives such as the Class 37

?  Just thinking surely a tap and short pipe is more prototypical than holes in the buffer beams?

• Like 1