Class 92, By Accurascale

Having read both the DJM thread and this one, I would just like to say that how disappointed I am again that two manufacturers have again gone head to head on the same model.  As pointed out on the DJM 92 thread, this is becoming a common theme.

I can see the reasoning behind it, but that doesn't make it any better.  There's people crying out for other missing models, like the 81s to 84s, the 89, and the still missing 88 and now the 93 (OK I understand Dapol might have the right to the 88, but Dave having a right to the CS 92 hasn't stopped Accurascale getting the rights as well).

I wish all you manufacturers would get your acts together and stop duplicating things, it's really starting to pi55 me off!

What about some of the new CAF DMUs and EMUs, or the new Stadlers for East Anglia?

Let's have some of them, rather keeping re-inventing the same wheels!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Do these 92's pull ICA Silver Bullets as in today's railway?

If yes I'll get one and is it in the list that's being produced?

If no then I'll regrettably pass on these.

Indeed they do:

9849490_orig.jpg

Source: https://www.jamiesquibbs.com/class-92---the-dysons.html

DBS is one of the livery options on offer.

Tom.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Do these 92's pull ICA Silver Bullets as in today's railway?

If yes I'll get one and is it in the list that's being produced?

If no then I'll regrettably pass on these.

Here is 92 video with china clay wagons

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1nW6cemf55U

And amongst the collection of 92 photos here, I think there is one with V cement tanks (the image is rather oblique to be sure):

https://malsfotofile.smugmug.com/Railway/Class-92/i-mSJrZTF

The crowning glory would be with Accurascale PCAs

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Since 2017 it’s been GBRF ones on the silver bullets, so you can use just about any livery you want!

image-e1484873472348.png

It’s interesting GBRF often seem to have a 66 DiT behind the 92 as well, presumably positioning. A quick google threw up more photos with the 66 than without!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

I wish all you manufacturers would get your acts together and stop duplicating things, it's really starting to pi55 me off!

To do so would involve collusion between manufacturers, which is against competition law. What upsets you is seen as the sign of a healthy market by others. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 13

53 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

Having read both the DJM thread and this one, I would just like to say that how disappointed I am again that two manufacturers have again gone head to head on the same model.  As pointed out on the DJM 92 thread, this is becoming a common theme.

I can see the reasoning behind it, but that doesn't make it any better.  There's people crying out for other missing models, like the 81s to 84s, the 89, and the still missing 88 and now the 93 (OK I understand Dapol might have the right to the 88, but Dave having a right to the CS 92 hasn't stopped Accurascale getting the rights as well).

What about some of the new CAF DMUs and EMUs, or the new Stadlers for East Anglia?

Let's have some of them, rather keeping re-inventing the same wheels!

You assume DJM had the rights to the CS scheme or indeed any other in the first place, wasn’t there an isssue with Class 59 schemes he couldn’t get the permissions ?

Also he claimed to have some kind of special prize in partnership with CS, any news or word on that ??

This new project 92 saw a gap in the market and will fill it, if the DJM model ever breaks plastic then the market will decide in the end. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Great Western said:

You assume DJM had the rights to the CS scheme or indeed any other in the first place, wasn’t there an isssue with Class 59 schemes he couldn’t get the permissions ?

Also he claimed to have some kind of special prize in partnership with CS, any news or word on that ??

This new project 92 saw a gap in the market and will fill it, if the DJM model ever breaks plastic then the market will decide in the end. 

Hi everyone,

Just to clear something up here; no company can have ‘exclusive rights’ to the Caledonian Sleeper livery, the branding is controlled by the Scottish Government ( @Ben A can correct me here if I’m wrong about Scottish Government part) and they simply would not allow that. Hence why all model companies can produce models with their branding on them. I’m pretty sure all other operators would treat their liveries the same too. We just seek permission and build a relationship.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by 071
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Guest teacupteacup
27 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

I know what you're saying Hillside Depot, but that doesn't make it any the less galling, when we're waiting for so many other classes of loco or unit to be produced.  

At the end of the day, its a toy train and not something to get pissed off about...

We'll probably never know all the ins and outs behind Accurascales' deal with Caledonian Sleeper, they wanted to produce the Mk5's, CS said deal, but do a 92 as well.  Its a huge risk to Accurascale to produce the 92 as a highly detailed, modern, AC loco is an unknown quantity at the moment (Bachmann's 90 isn't out yet so we've no benchmark on how that will sell), and even more of a risk that DJM are doing the same loco, along with the well known Hornby product.  A huge risk that they are willing to take to get the MK5's to market for both the popular west coast sleepers and the no doubt soon to be very popular TPE sets.  

If it wasnt Accurascale, it could be any other company facing the same risk, hats off to them to proceed with these exciting new models.

One question, aimed at Accurascale, and probably a stupid one at that, will you be matching the colours used by Dapol on the TPE 68?

I don't model the current scene, but if I had the space, I would definitely be modelling the TPE at least!

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, teacupteacup said:

At the end of the day, its a toy train and not something to get pissed off about...

We'll probably never know all the ins and outs behind Accurascales' deal with Caledonian Sleeper, they wanted to produce the Mk5's, CS said deal, but do a 92 as well.  Its a huge risk to Accurascale to produce the 92 as a highly detailed, modern, AC loco is an unknown quantity at the moment (Bachmann's 90 isn't out yet so we've no benchmark on how that will sell), and even more of a risk that DJM are doing the same loco, along with the well known Hornby product.  A huge risk that they are willing to take to get the MK5's to market for both the popular west coast sleepers and the no doubt soon to be very popular TPE sets.  

If it wasnt Accurascale, it could be any other company facing the same risk, hats off to them to proceed with these exciting new models.

One question, aimed at Accurascale, and probably a stupid one at that, will you be matching the colours used by Dapol on the TPE 68?

I don't model the current scene, but if I had the space, I would definitely be modelling the TPE at least!

Hi there,

TBH I’ve not laid eyes on the Dapol TPE 68 yet (though I can feel myself getting close to buying one now!) but I’m sure they will go together nicely.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HillsideDepot said:

To do so would involve collusion between manufacturers, which is against competition law. What upsets you is seen as the sign of a healthy market by others. 

If the UK government cannot find find a stop gap for the nuclear reactors that Hitachi and previously Eon refused to build, despite VERY generous fiscal guarantees underwritten by taxpayers money...will this new model be equipped with clockwork so that we can run it in the event of a power outage?

• Funny 4

Searching this evening I have found the following, annoyingly over the years MDs have told me what the 92s do - especially over HS1 but simply it went in one ear and out the other. I know GBRf do not run on HS1 (but do through the Channel Tunnel), and DB run two trains a day. 

So far, it seems:

DB -

- Dollands Moor to Ripple Lane via HS1 for Ford by Transfesa (two trains 6L21 & 6L23). See this PDF: https://www.transfesa.com/resource/blob/1922940/a8aa1acab5084cf0f9d923d9d9a023c7/Mediterranean-corridor-data.pdf. They work with Transfesa Swap Body flatbeds types 122 (UIC: Lfgss) and 139 (UIC: Laagrss). Do you know whether any HO manufactures make the appropriate freight wagons and containers? Yes - see my post below, all be it HO scale. 

Sand button pressed in Purfleet

First photo of the flatbeds 122 and second of the 139 type with 3m high-cube swap body containers.

- They have run on the ECML between Dollands Moor / Scunthorpe. 

- I have also see a Land Rover type container travel through Nuneaton before, presumedly this starts from Dollands Moor, but by time it reaches the midlands, its 66 traction. Plus no one makes such containers... Seems this is the Dollands Moor and Daventry / Ditton train:

31 70 4938 195-5 Kingsthorpe 140718 Jaguar Land Rover/Novelis to Dollands Moor

GBRf - 

- Caledonian Sleeper 

- Silver Bullets are currently 66 traction, routed via the S&C: But understand 92s haul through tunnel and likely shall take overflow in the future via Snap after modification programme completed later in 2019. 

- The 'beer train' with Unit 45 boxes (cough cough Dapol please make) on Megafrets between Dollands Moor and Tilbury (92 to Wembley with a 66 DIT). Last seen in early 2018. EDIT 17/02. Flow was a 12 week trial and was not continued. Repeat this is cancelled and is road transported.  But shows the GBRf 92 are a useful loco to have for these 'trial and hire' flows which make layouts interesting! 

Once in a blue moon - 92032 on the empty beer train 4B57 Wembley to Dollands Moor

- The car flow from Dagenham and Garson seems to be a mix of 66 or 92. Isn't it Bachmann who produce a car wagon? Heres a 92: 

Prime Target

A RevolutioN type sample consist map/flow would be so helpful. If not, I'll ask HS1 about freight - if no one on here knows? 

Likely have to go for a DB 92, least then logical with Hornby's 395 and if someone ever made the new e320 Eurostar... I can have a HS1 theme, which would be cool! Of course, this is early on in research for what the 92s do now! 

For those, like me, who can talk themselves into boring a tunnel into their layout, the RDG have a fantastic report and detail on CT 92 services here: https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/files/Publications/2018-08_international_rail_freight_brexit.pdf Go to slide 15 onwards. 

92015 with its special China-London service livery seems a good livery, maybe this can be a limited edition? 

Remaining Reds

Really want to buy, as it is such a unique locomotive. Think I have talked myself potentially, into three 92s. Unsure how, but facts about what they work, would be extremely welcomed. 

Random last photo - as I like the Revolution JNAs: 

92032 on 6M32 Dollands Moor to Wembley passing Sevington with New Box Wagons

Edited by 159220
Edited for clarity after private discussion
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Amazing what you can find on the internet when you are intent on justifying buying a 92! 

I think I have found HS1 wagons and containers. But please any expert out there, advise. 

https://www.sudexpressmodels.eu/products/product/68

Laagrss_622.jpg

Plus, appears you can get the Ford ones too from Rivarossi?

rivarossi28.jpg

As these are 'tall' 45ft containers, on HO scale wagons, and the prototypes are naturally out of UK load gauge.... who thinks these wagons would look OK with a 92? 

An authoritative sample consist and flow map for the 92s in their liveries, would still be extremely helpful! 

• Like 3

I'm sure this loco will do well, always admired the 'AL12s' (!) although a bit out of my modelling era. May still buy a grey one though, so far my cheapo Hornby abominations have formed an inexpensive basis for Thai cut n shuts (SRT 45xx GEs and Hitachis).

Fran, my guess is that you've already thought of this but I suspect if you also produced an HO version they would sell well, given that they now operate in Bulgaria etc (and SNCF, just about). Same to Ben at Revolution, if you also did some at continental N 1:160. 

Neither of these options would be of any appeal to me, but I reckon there would be a market for these.

Completely off-topic, but I do hope that Accurascale produce a OO class 40 in the near future. Not impressed with current or past offerings so far, and I want a raft of 'em...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s obviously a very ‘up to date’ slant on things. Even looking at the last 5 years you can add EWS/DB on the silver bullets (GBRF from 2017), GBRF used to deliver the Greenergy TEAs, DB and GBRF on intermodal flows to Scotland, and DB on mineral water flows using the IZA Cargowagon twins, and the normal bogie cargowagons. I don’t doubt there are plenty more!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 159220 said:

- The car flow from Dagenham and Garson seems to be a mix of 66 or 92. Isn't it Bachmann who produce a car wagon? Heres a 92: 

Prime Target

Thanks for this 159220. Having already got the car wagons, this gives me a reason to buy one of the Caledonian 92's. With an element of modeller's licence, I can justify running this on Loftus Road!

• Like 7

I can appreciate the frustration from various quarters about the manufacturer duplicates in play with crowd funding etc, but it's a free market, and unfortunately djm have been very unlucky with a couple of choices of models to produce. Needless to say we may well end up with a choice of two very high quality models.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, njee20 said:

That’s obviously a very ‘up to date’ slant on things. Even looking at the last 5 years you can add EWS/DB on the silver bullets (GBRF from 2017), GBRF used to deliver the Greenergy TEAs, DB and GBRF on intermodal flows to Scotland, and DB on mineral water flows using the IZA Cargowagon twins, and the normal bogie cargowagons. I don’t doubt there are plenty more!

Rather than clog up this topic with discussion of freight traffic, I've started one on 'Prototype Discussions' on current workings, and those in the recent past, which may be of interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/02/2019 at 10:49, Harry Lime said:

Thanks for this 159220. Having already got the car wagons, this gives me a reason to buy one of the Caledonian 92's. With an element of modeller's licence, I can justify running this on Loftus Road!

Glad I have convinced someone! Trying hard to myself. I am thinking of a Dollands Moor theme, but all very dependant on someone making a Eurostar e320. Never understood why Bachmann did not develop the MPV into its various forms. I seen too, NR run a test train over HS1, usually formed of a MENTOR (Britannia Pacific Models 2018), PLPR (Hornby 2019), BFR & Generator (Bachmann 2019). Sadly not 92 hauled, but usually 73/9. 

I wonder, how keen would Accurascale be to develop a few wagons to go with the 92s? Mainly the intermodal ones? Seeing as we have car carriers from Bachmann, silver bullets from Dapol and cargo twins from RevolutioN/Kernow? 

The Transfesa UIC coded Lfgss wagon seems more used than the HO one above. Seeing as the 92s on offer from Accurascale and owned by DB are 009, 036 and 042. 009 is now out of service and stored at Crewe.

De cul

Edited by 159220
Edited for clarity after private discussion

• RMweb Premium

You make out they've never operated more widely, but again, you're talking about right now. There are plenty of wagons they can operate with entirely prototypically; IKA, ICA (Dapol) FIA, IPA (Bachmann), TEA, IZA (Revolution), all within the last 2-3 years, we're not talking pre-privatisation.

Shall stop derailing the thread though as FC's created a proper thread, looking forward to watching the model develop!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, njee20 said:

You make out they've never operated more widely, but again, you're talking about right now. There are plenty of wagons they can operate with entirely prototypically; IKA, ICA (Dapol) FIA, IPA (Bachmann), TEA, IZA (Revolution), all within the last 2-3 years, we're not talking pre-privatisation.

Shall stop derailing the thread though as FC's created a proper thread, looking forward to watching the model develop!

Indeed, DB red locos confined to HS1 is relatively recent, having worked across the UK in DB red for many years before that. 

I think Electrotren does the Ford wagons in HO, I even think one of the big retailers commissioned some as a limited edition a few years ago?

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1