Class 92, By Accurascale

1 minute ago, 071 said:

Indeed, DB red locos confined to HS1 is relatively recent, having worked across the UK in DB red for many years before that. 

I think Electrotren does the Ford wagons in HO, I even think one of the big retailers commissioned some as a limited edition a few years ago?

Cheers!

Fran

The commission was originally for Transfesa themselves, for presentation to various people involved in the traffic. I was given one by our 'National Freight ' manager when he retired; the wagon itself is simply a flat adapted from a low-sided open, and is to 3.8mm/ft, so passes muster. The box seems to be to normal 3.5mm/ft, so looks a bit malnourished.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 071 said:

Indeed, DB red locos confined to HS1 is relatively recent, having worked across the UK in DB red for many years before that. 

I think Electrotren does the Ford wagons in HO, I even think one of the big retailers commissioned some as a limited edition a few years ago?

Cheers!

Fran

And indeed grey with 'beasties' vinyls, which they retained virtually until 'the end', as it were. GBRF also still had at least one (044) in the original plain grey, like the model of 003 you're doing.

• Like 1

Back in 2012 I spent 8 months out on secondment and my journey back home North would usually mean I’d pass the southbound EWS/DB working of Car wagons from Mossend which was a solid 92 working around Beattock. Usually a red or Beastie stickered machine up front but a couple of times a 67 was tucked in behind including one of the royal ones. Even saw a pair of 92’s on one occasion. Ideal for my Bachmann car wagons. 

The silver bullets in recent times on the WCML with GBRF 92 and 66 behind make for another very modeleable train too.

all the best

Mark

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 071 said:

Hi everyone,

Just to clear something up here; no company can have ‘exclusive rights’ to the Caledonian Sleeper livery, the branding is controlled by the Scottish Government ( @Ben A can correct me here if I’m wrong about Scottish Government part) and they simply would not allow that. Hence why all model companies can produce models with their branding on them. I’m pretty sure all other operators would treat their liveries the same too. We just seek permission and build a relationship.

Cheers!

Fran

HI All

It,s controlled by Transport For Scotland .

Regards Arran 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:24, Ben A said:

I can't help with a 92 on PCAs, but I did catch the Caledonian Sleeper at Kings Cross last year...

IMG_4363.jpg.6ccdfd550c9c3a650749e53cf2382a4a.jpg

IMG_4387.jpg.b3a4eaf3fb5b15963c0deb3343d353d2.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

Cant help but think from that photo that the longest platforms at KX aren't very long at all compared to Euston.  

Euston must house the 16 coach Highland sleeper with ECS loco and lead loco (which back in the day I believe could have been up to load 17 or 18 on The Royal Highlander) so whats the maximum that KX can accommodate of the oldMk2 and Mk3 stock?   11 coaches, 12, 13 without fouling the station throat?  

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

Cant help but think from that photo that the longest platforms at KX aren't very long at all compared to Euston.  

Euston must house the 16 coach Highland sleeper with ECS loco and lead loco (which back in the day I believe could have been up to load 17 or 18 on The Royal Highlander) so whats the maximum that KX can accommodate of the oldMk2 and Mk3 stock?   11 coaches, 12, 13 without fouling the station throat?  

I have platforms 0 and 1 as holding 15 20m coaches - most others (excluding the suburban platforms) fit 14 . The LNER sets fit, and they are, IIRC, 10 Mk4s (23m each) + a Class 91.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In this video, theres only 8 coaches, 2 locos..

In this video, theres a 13 coach, followed by an 8 coach and a further 8 coach

So it looks like it split into 3 trains before arriving at KX ? (1 full length and split the other from 16 to two 8’s.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Does the Caledonian Sleeper have 2 Class 92's top'n'tail on all their services or a mixture of that and a single loco?

Hi there,

It doesn’t run top and tail, but locos are used as shunter release when it reaches termini to haul the stock away for servicing etc.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 071 said:

Hi there,

It doesn’t run top and tail, but locos are used as shunter release when it reaches termini to haul the stock away for servicing etc.

Cheers!

Fran

But if they did, think of the additional sales.  Should start a rumour........

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But if they did, think of the additional sales.  Should start a rumour........

True, but I can only be honest with my fellow modellers. Honestly with customers pays off in the long term and builds loyalty though for the long haul which is what we’re all about! It’s why we do transparency (as much as we can of course) and communicate via Facebook and of course RMWeb. So, while selling two 92s instead of one would be nice now, it would catch up on me eventually and the cynicism would kick in. (Know you were only kidding though really :) )

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

On 13 February 2019 at 22:30, HillsideDepot said:

To do so would involve collusion between manufacturers, which is against competition law. What upsets you is seen as the sign of a healthy market by others.

Do you not agree it's boring though?

Puts me off buying some locos as they're bound to be replaced by a slightly better model.

At the end of the day, manufacturers have a choice on what they create.

While this 92 came as part of a package deal with the MK5s (understandable), I don't see why manufacturers decide on sticking with the same 6/7 locos, or bring out yet another steam engine.

In comparison, while there is a growing number, there aren't that many modern locos.

But I wonder if the bigger issue is that a lot of modellers are of an older generation, so producing another steam loco, or some sort of older diesel is an easy win/less risk for a company.

I would have thought bringing something new to the market would be seen as a bit more "exclusive" and a sure fire winner.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Puts me off buying some locos as they're bound to be replaced by a slightly better model.

All models eventually get replaced by a slightly better model.

I don't think that's a debate for this thread - there is a reason why the people who approved the Mk5 models wanted an Accurascale 92 to go with them and again it is something to debate elsewhere and not mire another thread in modelling politics

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the flow of events... (Ive used realtime trains for today as a guide), but photos are from January / Last September...

ECS from Wembley to Platform 1 (Glasgow / Fort William) 5S25, in this case 92028

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61117/2019/02/15/advanced

The LE from Wembley follows onto the rear of the ECS... 0S25, in this case 92018

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61031/2019/02/15/advanced

92018 then takes the 1S25 Highland Sleeper which splits at Edinburgh, with Portions for Fort William, and Inverness / Aberdeen, onward by 73/9, which itself brings the Highland southbound portions

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61077/2019/02/15/advanced

After departure the 5S26 ECS arrives at Platform 15 at Euston, with the Lowland Sleeper, in this case 86401 (but it could be 86101 or 87002 until the Mk5s are introduced).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61119/2019/02/15/advanced

86401 then uncouples / shuts down.

Meanwhile 92028 runs 0S95 as a Light Engine from Platform 1 to Platform 15 to take it's place on the 1S26 Lowland Sleeper.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61007/2019/02/15/advanced

92028 then departs Platform 15 with the 1S26 Lowland Sleeper which splits at Carstairs, with a Portion for Edinburgh and the remainder for Glasgow.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61082/2019/02/15/advanced

At Preston the 1S26 heading north rests, it can arrive considerably early, in this case in September it was 45 minutes early..

Despite it's early arrival, with no other traffic heading north bound for a considerable hour +, the signalman cleared the route to green, even though the cab was empty and shutdown for more than an hour !!

All silent on the Preston front (September 2018)

Meanwhile the 1M11 heads south from Glasgow and collected an Edinburgh portion at Carstairs..

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61068/2019/02/14/advanced

and 1M16 follows a few hours behind from Fort William, Aberdeen and Inverness, in this case late running at 4am in the morning, note the wrong platforms  at Preston, quite how the Signal could be cleared for 1S26, when it's driver was heading south on 1M16 and they change at Preston I wasn't clear on (I assume the signal had to be cancelled at some point as I doubt it would wrong line both directions upto Lancaster)… but it was Green for nearly an hour and the 2-3 southbound freights went round the L&Y platform side.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G61073/2019/02/14/advanced 

(September 2018)

Despite the late running, there is considerable slack throughout and late arrivals are mostly mitigated.

Here's the arrival (wrong line) into Carlisle.. (we were on the left (Down) line  up Shap).

And finally the onward departure...

If I could describe the Sleeper in senses it would be...

1. Tasting the Whisky in London (it's well worth arriving early and going to the Lounge on board).

2. Seeing Watford (the only stop at the Southern end)

3. Feeling Crewe... At times I thought there was gaps in the track as we crossed the pointwork at both ends).

4. Rising over Warrington, the hump gives an angle

5. Resting at Preston.. it's all very calm and quiet

6. Hearing Shap.. I was in the front coach / compartment, which has sealed windows.. I could hear the 92 clearly and the windows were warm !

Really enjoyed it, hoping that something special is planned for the end of Mk3's but want to do the Mk5s asap.

Soon 86/87/90 on the Caledonian Sleeper will be a thing of the past, but rule one applies, I plan for 87002 to be running on mine alongside the 92's (unless Accurascale fit working Dellners and nothing else ! like the real thing. :-)

I hope you enjoy my journeys of the night !!!

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 14/02/2019 at 15:18, njee20 said:

You make out they've never operated more widely, but again, you're talking about right now. There are plenty of wagons they can operate with entirely prototypically; IKA, ICA (Dapol) FIA, IPA (Bachmann), TEA, IZA (Revolution), all within the last 2-3 years, we're not talking pre-privatisation.

Shall stop derailing the thread though as FC's created a proper thread, looking forward to watching the model develop!

I am not talking about 2015 etc, please do not suggest I am talking about anything other than todays operations and flows. Even though I shall confess to having my main interests in Devon between 2004-2008 and 2017-2019 eras. I have not for a moment said, the 92 have not operated a wide selection of flows in the past as of course they are a critical locomotive to have on many layouts since the mid-90s, but I was asking about today. 

The DB ones allow for a nice Channel Tunnel and HS1 line to make a layout (I could build it in the kitchen to force Brexit friends down the 1:76 tunnel - but then, I have no brexit friends and I do not think drilling a hole in the kitchen wall would be popular!). Meaning one would need to order two of your DB 92s (036 & 042), as well as GBRf (032). With the yard full of RevolutioN Cargowagons and Dapol's silver bullets / megafrets - would be an interesting layout to make. 

Interestingly, the Transfesa Flatbed 122 aka Lfgss are built to UK loading gauge and can be occasionally found on non-HS1 lines to Dagenham from Dollands Moor. Seems to be the 'one' key wagon missing for the 92s and they have been used by the 92 since day dot - naturally well before my interest. 

Edited by 159220
Edited for clarity after private discussion
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m surprised the Dellner fitted 92’s havent become a sub-fleet yet.

post introduction, there use will pretty much exclusively be CS workings, as theres limited options for spare locos, and nothing else will be able to work with mk5’s.

could we see a class 92/1 emerge ?

elsewhere, I read that DB have sold their Roumanian class 92’s to Croatia. Could the now restricted HS1 DB 92’s be next to be heading out of the door ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 159220 said:

I am not talking about 2015 etc, please do not suggest I am talking about anything other than todays operations and flows. Even though I shall confess to having my main interests in Devon between 2004-2008 and 2017-2019 eras. I have not for a moment said, the 92 have not operated a wide selection of flows in the past as of course they are a critical locomotive to have on many layouts since the mid-90s, but I was asking about today: 

I know, that's exactly what I said, but the tone of your post reads a bit like "this is all they do", I'm merely pointing out that in very recent history they've operated far more extensively, which is probably more useful for anyone considering a model than their current, more restricted, operations.

Anyway, there's another thread to continue this on - as you've even said, so it didn't need posting here :)

50 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’m surprised the Dellner fitted 92’s havent become a sub-fleet yet.

post introduction, there use will pretty much exclusively be CS workings, as theres limited options for spare locos, and nothing else will be able to work with mk5’s.

could we see a class 92/1 emerge ?

elsewhere, I read that DB have sold their Roumanian class 92’s to Croatia. Could the now restricted HS1 DB 92’s be next to be heading out of the door ?

Not unless DBC lose the Transfesa traffic, which now has to go via HS1; it should be noted that Transfesa are now part of DBC.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

wonder if the new stock and 92 will signal a death knell for 86101 86401 and/or 87002.

if so I hope the charter operators consider a finale or two to see then out and maybe taking in some of the new AC lines. 

I don't think anything has been said, other than the assumption is the work ends.

They are not fitted with Dellner's, so the only way they can pull the stock, is in front of a class 92, same goes for any rescue failure, the rescue loco needs to go on the front of the 92.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

At the end of the day, manufacturers have a choice on what they create.

While this 92 came as part of a package deal with the MK5s (understandable), I don't see why manufacturers decide on sticking with the same 6/7 locos, or bring out yet another steam engine.

In comparison, while there is a growing number, there aren't that many modern locos.

But I wonder if the bigger issue is that a lot of modellers are of an older generation, so producing another steam loco, or some sort of older diesel is an easy win/less risk for a company.

I would have thought bringing something new to the market would be seen as a bit more "exclusive" and a sure fire winner.

A number of factors work against modern locos/rolling stock in model form:

The size of the market. Just like the 'N' gauge market is  fraction the size of the 'OO' market, so the market for what for the sake of simplicity I'll call 'modern' is much smaller than the market for 'historic' (i.e. mainly steam and old diesels). Manufacturers are investing either their own or their employers' money and commercially minded people invest where they are most likely to get the best return.

Secondly, most historic equipment could and did work with a range of rolling stock - tool up one coach or wagon and it suits working with umpteen different locos and vice versa.

Today's locos are more and more tied to bespoke equipment - hence Class 68s, Class 92s and Mk5 stock. 

Much of today's equipment is in multiple unit form which means tooling several different vehicles and arranging increasingly complex wiring between them for lights, decoders etc. 

Today's more savvy railway companies are aware that their designs, logos etc are a source of income from licensing. So the model manufacturer has another cost to allow for. 

True, if you model Mallard or Flying Scotsman you can expect to pay a licence fee to the NRM but in general extinct steam and diesel designs and historic liveries are free from licensing issues. 

There are no surefire winners these days. There certainly were some but they have been well covered over the years (two of them are mentioned two lines above) plus Stanier 'Pacifics' and Deltics. They aren't modern subjects, though. Way back, what drove the cast white metal and later etched kit market was that individuals wanted certain models for their own layouts. Produce a kit, sell some and you got the models you wanted, covered your costs and kept your modelling friends happy. Today, the same process is happening more and more with ready-to-run and it does enable more niche products to be offered where the market isn't big but it's just big enough. (CJL)

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1