SAGA trains 1980s

acg5324

Thanks for your delving SED Freightman.  Interesting to see that the outbound trains ran via Nunhead rather than Herne Hill.  Would that have been the case in other years?

I had wondered if the Folkestone West trains actually did a Kent circle setting down / picking up at other resorts.   Seemingly not, however the stop at Ashford is interesting.  As there was no Eastbourne train at the time,  could the Ashford stop have been to allow transfer to  Rye, Hastings and Eastbourne by connecting trains or by motor coach?

32 minutes ago, Peter A Hall said:

Thanks for your delving SED Freightman.  Interesting to see that the outbound trains ran via Nunhead rather than Herne Hill.  Would that have been the case in other years?

I had wondered if the Folkestone West trains actually did a Kent circle setting down / picking up at other resorts.   Seemingly not, however the stop at Ashford is interesting.  As there was no Eastbourne train at the time,  could the Ashford stop have been to allow transfer to  Rye, Hastings and Eastbourne by connecting trains or by motor coach?

By chance, this appeared in the local paper today:-

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/how-one-man-built-a-travel-empire-243059/

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2020 at 23:12, TheSignalEngineer said:

Slightly different from what the staff on our line called it, but this is a family show.

I had always understood it was Sex And Games for the Aged 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, SED Freightman said:

I had that pleasure about 10 years later, I think the course was run by the then chief clerk from the Waterloo CTEB, but I don't recall any interesting guest speakers.

We also got Geoffrey Edmonds, Regional Commercial Manager, so a very big cheese from Waterloo, talking about Marketing. The course was clearly taken seriously by the Region. 

Prophetically, in one of the role-play exercises, I was required to help a 'customer' who only spoke French! As I was only 18 months out of school, I think my French then was probably better than it is now, and I've lived here nearly 17 years! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve found a couple of my CWNs.

From the Central division 1981.

SO no train Numbers listed

0540 ECS Fratton Yard to Eastbourne via Haywards Heath 3SK 1BSK 5SK 1NAV

0849 Eastbourne to Newcastle ditto

0720 Newcastle to Eastbourne ditto

1845 ECS Eastbourne to Margate ditto

SO

5F98: 0536 Fratton Yard to Eastbourne via Haywards Heath 1BSK 3TSO 1BSK 5TSO 1NDV ( dual heat 90mph BG)

stables up siding then forms

1E12: 1010 Eastbourne to Newcastle ditto runs until 30/6 them from 8/9.

1O43: 0810 Newcastle to Eastbourne ditto

5F60: 1835 Eastbourne to Fratton Yard via Haywards Heath ditto runs until 23/6 and from 8/9.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2