What make is this motor

Thanks very much everyone for going to all that effort in replying.

The bigest problem I have will be finding a chassis that it will fit into. I have a couple of large tank loco's (Jamieson Prairie comes to mind)that have the space, is there a self contained gearbox that I could connect to the motor shaft with a bit of plastic tube, it would make fitting the motor to the chassis much easier.

• RMweb Gold

I digress, but here's a couple from my private collection especially for you Bertidog ....

post-6717-12724879766_thumb.jpg

The top one is the later "X01" that went in the cast iron wheeled plunger pickuped Princess that came after the original Marks and Spencer plastic wheeled roller pickup original version that had the motor at the bottom with the built in gearbox.

Both feature a flat commutator rather than the barrel type we are more familiar with and run as well as they did when new. I thought about stripping them and polishing them but decided to keep them as-is wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Here is a motor from the Airfix 14XX and the large prairie. If the motor looks different in your 14XX, it's not an original 70s one.

"Original" as in the blue box, not the later GMR branded ones? The one in the foreground was purchased circa 1980 (blue box), the background one is a recent eBay purchase complete with box and instruction leaflet show exactly the same motor as in the chassis. Neither are like the 61xx motor.

post-7355-127248944903_thumb.jpg

I digress, but here's a couple from my private collection especially for you Bertidog ....

post-6717-12724879766_thumb.jpg

The top one is the later "X01" that went in the cast iron wheeled plunger pickuped Princess that came after the original Marks and Spencer plastic wheeled roller pickup original version that had the motor at the bottom with the built in gearbox.

Both feature a flat commutator rather than the barrel type we are more familiar with and run as well as they did when new. I thought about stripping them and polishing them but decided to keep them as-is wink.gif

Yes those are the originals, I have some the same as well, and a five pole with the flat commutator, marked Zenith, and several true Zenith's with the flat machined poles, and a couple of the semi closed frame ball raced seven pole, with integral magnet, superb, but one of the types that cannot take new magnets, it has to be done in situ.

Only last year I also got four unused Zenith point motor boxed with instructions off Ebay! They were made under the Bassett Lowke label as well.

Recently I bought a Lindsay EMD switcher un-built , with a perfect Bob Lindsay 1949 seven pole motor, and a US Great Western kit with a Lindsay that dated from 1948, great quality, run flawlessly. These have to be magnetised in situ, no add on magnets possible.

The oldest motor I have that runs is a 6 volt five pole, built by Taycol for Hamblings in 1934, to a customer order, looks like a Zenith in outline.

The freak of the collection is Graham Farish's two Pole switched commutator 12 volt motor of the late 1940's, quite unique, non-self starting if not serviced to perfection, and only built due to the post war restrictions on materials.

It approaches coreless motors in efficiency and sheer power.........but fails to start if out of adjustment and has to have a clutch to engage the loco as it moves off.............

Pulled out my old pair of Pittmans just now and applied power from a Pentroller. They still spin rather well. smile.gif

Unless you have had the Pentroller up graded by Stuart Hine don't risk using the Pittmans on it, the basic rating is about an amp, and the Pittmans may draw far more current under load, but would be all right to test them on the Pentroller, without loading them up.

Stuart Hine was designing for smaller 2mm and coreless motors in OO, where the circuit senses the back EMF in the gaps of the PWM power pulses. This is the most sophisticated of controller principles and works well, but on a more restricted range of motors.

Stephen.

AND... I found one of the Airfix motors, and it matches the photo, works very well indeed , but needs the brush gear examined, tweaked, and trued up, to get the brushes to seat better. Very powerful and smooth, I believe these were HK produced by Johnson motors for Airfix's HK factory.

Archived