All new RTR Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Premium

I would love a 91 to modern standards especially in 2mm but I fear I might not be able to buy one if I don't plump up the readies all in one go on some unspecified date for a project that i haven't even decided on only for that model to gather dust on the shelf until I'm ready for it. 

Good luck guys. I will watch with interest but I worry for the way the models I want are heading

MM

Edited by 47845

Finally a top spec Class 91 with suitable rolling stock in both 2mm and 4mm! Excellent announcement guys. I model in 2mm scale and collect in 4mm scale, I really look forward to getting an entire rake in 2mm and possibly just a loco in 4mm.

I am thoroughly excited. Hornby Class 87, Heljan Class 86, Accurascale Class 92 and Hornby Class 71....truly exciting times for those wanting AC or DC electrics.

Cheers!

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooooo! Colour me intrigued! I've still got my 1992 Hornby version in its box (it's had plenty of use though) and have been considering updating it, now it can stay as it is for nostalgia!

50869309_IMAG54022.jpg.039936f2feb9e2afc4d5421f8d24a3b5.jpg

Very much looking forward to seeing this develop, and hopefully joining my collection eventually! I'm presuming that in the fullness of time, and licenses permitting, we'll see more liveries including maybe the commemorative ones. 

IMAG5680.jpg.eb5c4ee155cd62e19e0f490d17e80e42.jpg

Hopefully the coaches will be available either individually or tactical packs so a full rake can be built up over time. 

I'm sure all of this, and more will be dealt with in future updates, and like the rest of us I'll be looking forward to that immensely! 

Cheers

J

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

. . .  or tactical packs so a full rake can be built up over time. 

Tactical, isn't that just how they get smuggled into the house? I don't think a coach pack is a tactic in itself unless it's a plain brown box :lol_mini:

Very good news though as I always thought they look superb in the original livery.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

20 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Tactical, isn't that just how they get smuggled into the house? I don't think a coach pack is a tactic in itself unless it's a plain brown box :lol_mini:

It is indeed, then once spotted, followed by the 'I've had this for ages'!

What I was meaning was maybe four different twin packs which each contain different pairs, so an 8 coach rake can be made from 4 packs. Say; two First, one First & one Standard, one Standard & one Buffet, and two Standard. The remaining Standard needed for the full 9 could be paired with the DVT or as an individual vehicle, depending on how the packaging is developed. 

Maybe! 

Cheers

J

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, JaymzHatstand said:

It is indeed, then once spotted, followed by the 'I've had this for ages'!

What I was meaning was maybe four different twin packs which each contain different pairs, so an 8 coach rake can be made from 4 packs. Say; two First, one First & one Standard, one Standard & one Buffet, and two Standard. The remaining Standard needed for the full 9 could be paired with the DVT or as an individual vehicle, depending on how the packaging is developed. 

Maybe! 

Cheers

J

How the packs will be split has not been established as yet. Of course the order of the day is to get enough orders of each vehicle to make production possible. Once we have more news we will of course keep everyone informed.

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

How is it funded please don't tell me it's crowdfunded, have no confidence in that route at present.

Hi Mark, currently we as a company work on a pre-order commitment basis. I don't see this as a bad thing as it provides security for us to enable us to pursue further models to bring to the market which would otherwise be overlooked. What are your concerns? That the model will not be made or that you will lose money?

To answer those questions we need to look at it this way. Model railways are a niche market and a model that doesn't sell is essentially a nail in the coffin for a small business like ourselves. If you (the customer as a whole) wants a model to be made then all you have to do is pre-order and then commit to buy should the target volume be reached, if enough people do that then it will go ahead without question. On the other hand if we finace the whole deal and no one buys it then we fold as a business and no one benefits.

Regarding money, we do not take any payments until the target has been reached and the project has the green light to go ahead. At this point we ask for 50% up front as a deposit with the balance due prior to delivery. If the project doesn't reach its target then no one loses out, apart from we don't have a nice new model that not enough people wanted anyway. We feel thats fair. If you need any further info please get in touch?

So to the class 91, we are very pleased with the support received so far. I for one am very keen to see this produced as I have been an avid fan of the train since my golden spotting days of the late 80s and early 90s!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, RBE said:

How the packs will be split has not been established as yet. Of course the order of the day is to get enough orders of each vehicle to make production possible. Once we have more news we will of course keep everyone informed.

Hi Mark, currently we as a company work on a pre-order commitment basis. I don't see this as a bad thing as it provides security for us to enable us to pursue further models to bring to the market which would otherwise be overlooked. What are your concerns? That the model will not be made or that you will lose money?

To answer those questions we need to look at it this way. Model railways are a niche market and a model that doesn't sell is essentially a nail in the coffin for a small business like ourselves. If you (the customer as a whole) wants a model to be made then all you have to do is pre-order and then commit to buy should the target volume be reached, if enough people do that then it will go ahead without question. On the other hand if we finace the whole deal and no one buys it then we fold as a business and no one benefits.

Regarding money, we do not take any payments until the target has been reached and the project has the green light to go ahead. At this point we ask for 50% up front as a deposit with the balance due prior to delivery. If the project doesn't reach its target then no one loses out, apart from we don't have a nice new model that not enough people wanted anyway. We feel thats fair. If you need any further info please get in touch?

So to the class 91, we are very pleased with the support received so far. I for one am very keen to see this produced as I have been an avid fan of the train since my golden spotting days of the late 80s and early 90s!

Well I was hoping either you'll, Accurascale, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby or RevolutioN announce one of these. Now that you'll have, you'll have got my full support. N gauge and OO gauge for me please, OO gauge being the locomotive only.

• RMweb Gold

Man; with the 90's apparently on the boat, and the 92 announcement last month, this is both an expensive and brilliant year...!

I'm in for 4mm. At least a rake of Mk4s, but more than one loco I'd have thought (liveries depending).

Just to be clear, when you say Mk4 coaches, I presume you're planning on tooling the Mk4 DVT also?

Cheers :-)

Rob

11 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

...Proposed liveries:
Inter-City Swallow – Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages (Running numbers to be confirmed)
LNER – Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages
LNER – 91119 'Bounds Green Intercity depot 1977-2017'

Nice thought, but for my liking there's a big hole where the tastiest potential filling in the sandwich should be! If the announcement could clarify whether any of the liveries that came 'in between' those listed are going to be possible in future that would be good. -  GNER Blue :dance_mini:

In addition to it looking right and livery choice, this potential customer wants it to do a scale 125mph - and ideally the potential service maximum 140mph. Have ECML  layout, want ECML speed. That includes propelling, and I would be whanging it round 32" minimum radius in the concealed section as it comes off the visible 'racetrack'. (I have actually tested for this as far as I was able, and the early Bachmann Peak - which had the funky choice of  4:1 gearing for an unnecessarily high scale maximum of 350mph - would shove along at the 125mph rate with 10 of their mk1s ahead. A little damping in the close coupling mechanism would improve appearance when in properly brisk motion. However, that's the kind of mechanical entertainment that appeals to me as a user adjustment/modification.)

Regarding presentation, it's a fixed formation train. I would hope to see an option to order and purchase a complete set, all in matching livery. None of that dicking about trying to find the necessary vehicles that sold out in a flash. (The 'tactical packaging' suggestion was interesting though. Another way with four packs: 91+DVT, three packs of two standards and a 1st; BEK, CFL, DHM. Whatever, your marketing division can have fun working out the possibilities!)

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think a very sensible decision regarding the 4mm version would be to plug ahead with the locomotive and DVT regardless of the viability of the Mk.4 stock. This is why; 

People already have Mk.4 stock, simple as that. People already have 91’s too, but when you look at the models, the Hornby Mk.4 is good shape wise, the roof detail is ok and the only major issue is the lack of skirts at the coach ends - you’d need an all singing and dancing Mk.4 to convince people to replace them as the existing model is ‘good enough’, in my eyes at least. The Hornby 91 is a dog. The shape is wrong, the details don’t match the current 91/1 designated locos, there’s no lights, no decent cab interior and the mechanism sounds like a knackered traction motor blower... 

My personal thoughts behind this and my reason for posting it is that I would like to have two rakes of Mk.4 stock (in LNER) but I wish to have four locos (05, 10, 11, 19) and don’t see enough wrong with the current Mk.4’s to not repaint them. Don’t get me wrong, I will want one full set from yourselves in LNER to go behind 91105, but i’m also more than happy to save money and upgrade / repaint my existing sets and put the money into the locos instead.

Others may think this way too, hence why I am saying please, if the coaching stock fails to be viable from pre-order numbers, still look at producing the loco and DVT regardless. 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant news.  Been on the scout for the old Poole MkIVs and have an Intercity body shell which I was upgrading, but will be investing in a full rake in 2mm

• Agree 1