All new RTR Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages

Grimleygrid

2 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

And not a Test Train,  RTC vehicle or whatever in sight.  There's no doubt for a short while they were used for anything and everything at times on regular services.  So no one needs an excuse to buy a Class 91.  :)

91001 + 91006 900507 Wakefield Westgate

91007 890702 Newark NG 1535 Hull-KX

91013 9012xx Pullman Charter York Sharpen

91004 departs Peterborough, Blunt end 1st with Mk2 stock

Wakefield Westgate.

"Ugly" fake news allegedly. Which I like very much. Ta!

C6T. 

15 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

And not a Test Train,  RTC vehicle or whatever in sight.  There's no doubt for a short while they were used for anything and everything at times on regular services.  So no one needs an excuse to buy a Class 91.  :)

91001 + 91006 900507 Wakefield Westgate

91007 890702 Newark NG 1535 Hull-KX

91004 departs Peterborough, Blunt end 1st with Mk2 stock

Wakefield Westgate.

Just look at that mixture! Beautiful :)

• Like 2

Time to back off guys - whenever you say it never happened, you can almost certainly guarantee it did and someone will find it for you.  I worked for INTERCITY East Coast & GNER but I can still get it wrong. Lets see what Cavalex have in store.....

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

I submit to you then, well done.

I’m not too proud to admit being  wrong,

but at least i can do it without insulting comments and saracsm.

Without proffering anything approaching an apology for being a knowall and loading that missive full of what? "saracsm"? Whatever that is. Please show me the "insults" you alledge. 

Don't come to a knife fight armed with a bun...

Mike drop, C6T.

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I do detect a charter (mk2 bfk) and a test train in that lot.

But i am intrigued at the Mk2 pullman set... was that WCML or was it post service as a charter too ?

No test trains to be seen...,., Where's your proof? There's only one charter in there - the Pullman the rest, if you took the time to click on each photo, is a regular working.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Agree 1

No, 5A72 is the ECS to form 1A72 - if you read the caption it explains "Here on May Day Bank Holiday Monday 7th May 1990 91006 stands in the centre road at Wakefield Westgate with 5A72, the stock to form the 1703 Leeds Kings Cross Relief whilst 91001 approaches with the 1603 Leeds Kings Cross Relief." - both on or to form a passenger working.  Why admit you were wrong and then do a complete about turn.  No RTC stock or test trains.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not in passenger service they weren’t.

I’m sure you might pull an odd rabbit from the hat but you won’t pull a family of rabbits, I can only find runs with mk1/2 in test trains.

it was mk3 + HST DVT until mk4’s.

the HST DVT was fitted with TDM to work with the 91 specifically, and the purpose of the HST power car as a DVT was because the electrical of a 91 aren’t compatible with much of the rest of the nations rolling stock at the time.

As mk4’s werent ready it was a political choice of class 91s sitting in sidings, whilst the new ECML wires got shiny in the sun, or doll up HSTs to give them work and avoid the negative press.

There was a 14-page feature on the Class 91s in last week’s Railway Herald magazine (Issue 631 if anyone wants it - it’s digital and I think only 99p for a back copy) marking 30 years since their passenger introduction. Http://www.railwayherald.com if anyone wants it. 

Some superb shots from the early days and a really good read on the class history. Featured was a couple of ‘blunt end’ first workings from York to King’s Cross on IC liveried MK2s in passenger service. I think the Grantham/Peterborough early morning diagram was a Mk2 set as well - sure it wasn’t HST trailers as i’ve seen blunt end first shots.

I also recall 91001 (I think) worked with the Bounds Green IC Mk1 charter set a couple of times, KX to Doncaster, from where Mallard took over - there was a run with the 89 on the same set. There are also shots of them on test on the Mk3 sleepers.

Remember 91s and Mk4s did some demonstration runs Euston to Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool so no excuse for southern WCML modellers either!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
Added web address after a PM asking!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

‘Sorry for going off at a tangent, but is that the Mk2 Manchester Pullman’s? I thought they were vacuum-brake only which was why the 87s couldn’t work the train?

Bob, do you have any details as to the date or working? What a fascinating shot!

Rich

5 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I dunno, collectors are likely to only want the loco. And, in the early days at least, the 'Electras' were hauling all sorts of stock.

I'd recommend selling coach packs as suggested but keeping the motive power solitary. IMHO natch.

This issue isn't the Class 91 - as you say collectors and others in general mean it could likely sell quite well on its own.

But, how does Cavalex make sure there are sufficient numbers sold for the DVT, end coach, and kitchen so that they at least break even on those 3 items?  Looking at it as a complete project may well mean that (for the initial run at least) the class 91 may need to be bundled with those items to generate sufficient sales.

• Agree 2

That's the rub isn't it, and I'm glad I don't need to make that decision.

We've seen overproduction of 1st Class and brakes consistently in the past, perhaps Cavalex's method of asking for expression of interest might negate some of that? Or do a 5:1 ratio?

C6T.

• Like 1

Don't know if it's been mentioned but there was an interesting service in the late 80's from Kings X to Bradford where a 47/4 dragged the train from Leeds to Forster Square before that section was electrified which would make an interesting model. I think it was plugged as some kind of Pullman service.

I can remember a lot of nose first running in the early days and saw one hauling mk1's in IC livery; probably  a charter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Bob Reid said:

I'm modelling 1939...

But I could still very much be tempted with a GNER set lol

First of all may we take this opportunity to thank everyone for their interest and feedback on our Class 91 and Mark 4 project, it is much appreciated.

We are excited to announce that we will be adding GNER to our list of proposed liveries for our 4mm and 2mm Class 91 and MK4 sets.

91011HambletonJcn_110902_NeilHarvey.jpg.d0cf1fd9373b2833ce7a0753057fa463.jpg

Photo courtesy Neil Harvey

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Apropos my earlier post Alex, which GNER livery, specifically.

Your answer could have many tens of pounds attached to it!

C6T. 

Hi C6T, well yes that is the million dollar question!

White GNER, Gold GNER, gold name, blue doors, red doors.....we may have to run a poll!!

We will have to consider the options and conduct a bit more research I think. Not too sure what would be the most popular GNER livery version.

It's a tricky call. I'd usually say to satisfy the most potential buyers, go with the variant which had the longest lifespan, but in the case of the coach doors I think it's pretty even. Circa' 96-01 for the blue doors and 01-07 for the red doors.

The branding is a bit of a non-issue. The GNER lettering was gold from pretty early on, and if someone really wanted the silver/white variant they could use transfers. 

Still think East Coast should be added to the list... even though I seem to be the only one championing it at the moment! It's not a particularly exciting livery, but it gives the scope to run the transitions between GNER-EC & EC-Virgin.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Grimleygrid said:

First of all may we take this opportunity to thank everyone for their interest and feedback on our Class 91 and Mark 4 project, it is much appreciated.

We are excited to announce that we will be adding GNER to our list of proposed liveries for our 4mm and 2mm Class 91 and MK4 sets.

91011HambletonJcn_110902_NeilHarvey.jpg.d0cf1fd9373b2833ce7a0753057fa463.jpg

Photo courtesy Neil Harvey

Eek! Yay!