Paint colours for a GW Toad

Martino

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know what colour the inside of a Toad would be?

Also the colour of things like the sandboxes, seats and brake standard on the balcony.

Probably also the inside walls of the balcony.

Many thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

According to Atkins, Beard and Tourret's "GWR Goods Wagons" page 480, the interior was "dark chocolate from floor to waistline, cream above the waistline and white for the roof. Fittings were black." Unfortunately there is no detail on whether this varied over the years.

There is an undated photo in the book to illustrate this, which also shows that the windows and rear hatch have a band of cream surrounding them which extends down below the chocolate waistline, if you see what I mean.

The same livery is quoted by this modeller - although as you can see he chose all over cream as a compromise to make the interior detail more visible: http://www.gwr.org.u...atkinson18.html (EDIT: original link was wrong, this is the page I meant.)

For the balcony walls I have always assumed and used all over grey, as also indicated by prototype photos.

Does anyone know what colour the inside of a Toad would be?

Also the colour of things like the sandboxes, seats and brake standard on the balcony.

Probably also the inside walls of the balcony.

Many thanks in advance

Just to add to what Mikkel has said. The floor inside and out was unpainted wood.

Archived