Rhymney......loco hauled return ?

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, young37215 said:

Whilst it looks interesting, I think you will find that this is the stock used for training  which has been in South Wales for a month or so but will not be used for passenger services. A second set similar to the one now in use is scheduled to arrive at some stage in the near future.

That makes sense (shame though!)

It will have to be the very near future if they're going to start on Monday as they said on Twitter.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stuart 37 said:

I'm planning a trip to camcorder these 37s I'm just wondering how are the train staff treating the cranks is would I be stopped from recording out of the window. Thanks.

The trains I've been on carried "door supervisors" to make sure nobody stuck their arms or heads out of a window, though not as many supervisors as there were vestibules.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

At Cardif Central last night between 1700 and 1715, 37418 departed with the 1701 to Rhymney hauling 4 immaculate Mk2 air cons which were full and standing. Shortly after 37421 trundled the opposite direction through platform 7 with the 4 coach training set which were also immaculately turned out. 67010 departed 1716 on the Holyhead and in between 2 freights both 60 hauled headed west through the centre road. Not quite like the 1970's and 80's but a flashback none the less. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, young37215 said:

At Cardif Central last night between 1700 and 1715, 37418 departed with the 1701 to Rhymney hauling 4 immaculate Mk2 air cons which were full and standing. Shortly after 37421 trundled the opposite direction through platform 7 with the 4 coach training set which were also immaculately turned out. 67010 departed 1716 on the Holyhead and in between 2 freights both 60 hauled headed west through the centre road. Not quite like the 1970's and 80's but a flashback none the less. 

Seeing the passenger and training sets cross is good - won't be able to do that once the second rake is in passenger service.

Unfortunately the time I was in Queen Street when the two rakes crossed I was on one of the trains. But here's another photo of the training set. It would have reached Central around the time the passenger set left.

image.png.0020afae118e06d0a25a2b8b2fc47f85.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2019 at 15:39, Coryton said:

Seeing the passenger and training sets cross is good - won't be able to do that once the second rake is in passenger service.

Unfortunately the time I was in Queen Street when the two rakes crossed I was on one of the trains. But here's another photo of the training set. It would have reached Central around the time the passenger set left.

Well I finally got a photo of both rakes (almost) in Queen Street at the same time.

Shame I only had my phone with me - this would have worked better with an optical zoom.

Must try again.

image.png.a9f7d2c0111c4890cb2e6880e12c4bad.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Coryton said:

Well I finally got a photo of both rakes (almost) in Queen Street at the same time.

Shame I only had my phone with me - this would have worked better with an optical zoom.

Must try again.

image.png.a9f7d2c0111c4890cb2e6880e12c4bad.png

You will need to be quick to get another picture of the training rake, I read elsewhere that it should depart this week when the second passenger rake arrives. The good news is that there should be 2 daily 37 workings in place pretty soon. 

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2019 at 07:48, young37215 said:

You will need to be quick to get another picture of the training rake, I read elsewhere that it should depart this week when the second passenger rake arrives. The good news is that there should be 2 daily 37 workings in place pretty soon. 

I read elsewhere that the second passenger service won't start till August!

Edited by Coryton
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Coryton said:

I read elsewhere that the second passenger service won't start till August!

I've read that as well.  Have heard test runs heading past Heath about 2210 a few nights a couple of weeks ago (I live a couple of miles SE from Heath High Level) when the wind was in a suitable direction.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

I've read that as well.  Have heard test runs heading past Heath about 2210 a few nights a couple of weeks ago (I live a couple of miles SE from Heath High Level) when the wind was in a suitable direction.

Or unsuitable, I suppose, depending on ones views on hearing the sound of a 37...

It's possible of course that the test runs will continue for a few weeks but using the stock which will be used for the passenger service rather than the rather odd rake currently employed. I don't care either way - I just like being able to stand on a bridge and watch two 37s go through in quick succession.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coryton said:

Or unsuitable, I suppose, depending on ones views on hearing the sound of a 37...

It's possible of course that the test runs will continue for a few weeks but using the stock which will be used for the passenger service rather than the rather odd rake currently employed. I don't care either way - I just like being able to stand on a bridge and watch two 37s go through in quick succession.

A friend of a friend drives units for TfW and states that the lead trainer on the 37s walked out a while ago, unhappy with various aspects of the operation.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2019 at 16:55, Coryton said:

Well as I walked into Queen Street station this evening I heard a sound that had me running up to the platforms.

And indeed the test train now consists of what I presume is the other passenger rake.

Sadly not all in blue grey - the brake second is in Anglia colours. Shame they couldn't have kept the one from the training rake - it looked more suitable than the other coaches.

image.png.49f1e7ff6d7780b88a8054d1273e35b4.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PrestburyJack said:

Does anyone know when the locomotive-hauled trains are expected to run until?

Thank you.

December as they are not going to be compliant with the new disabled regulations

• Thanks 1

They could last longer if they put in for a derogation from the regulations to run non compliant stock for a short time. All depends how quick the sprinters get made PRM compliant and the new stock appears

Jo

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

They could last longer if they put in for a derogation from the regulations to run non compliant stock for a short time. All depends how quick the sprinters get made PRM compliant and the new stock appears

Jo

Quite.

I read (magazine not web forum) that the contract is till December with an option of extending to March.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Full marks to TFW today for putting a "train formation update" on Journeycheck warning that the 17:01 Cardiff to Rhymney will be "formed of the usual number of coaches" but "The advertised loco-hauled coaching stock service is not available due to faults with some of the coaches"

Maybe they don't like the hot weather.

I think that's the first time it hasn't run since it started, which isn't bad really.

I suspect that means tomorrow morning's service will also be units.

5 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Full marks to TFW today for putting a "train formation update" on Journeycheck warning that the 17:01 Cardiff to Rhymney will be "formed of the usual number of coaches" but "The advertised loco-hauled coaching stock service is not available due to faults with some of the coaches"

Maybe they don't like the hot weather.

I think that's the first time it hasn't run since it started, which isn't bad really.

Presume this is a fault with the steam heating? Emoji here.

• Funny 1

19 hours ago, Coryton said:

Yes it was, I am making a daily stop at Lisvane to see it come through on my way to work and it was a pair of 143's this morning. Not sure when things will go back to normal - I did hope 37025 would have worked the train this morning

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

Yes it was, I am making a daily stop at Lisvane to see it come through on my way to work and it was a pair of 143's this morning. Not sure when things will go back to normal - I did hope 37025 would have worked the train this morning

This morning's train was back to normal.

I read elsewhere that the Pacer substitutions still carried the door supervisors...

It was quite refreshing yesterday to come back from Bristol on one of the GWR ("classic") short HST sets and not have security staff in the vestibules.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last few days 37025 has worked the 0724 off Rhymney, with dead 421 on the rear. 421 has worked the 1746 from Cardiff with dead 025 on the rear. 418 has been on the other morning working down (0742 from memory) and back to Rhymney on the 1701. Lack of ETS on 025 not an issue in this weather.

Travelled up on a Pacer from Heath High Level this morning to catch 025 back from Llanbradach. Full and standing most of the way down, with repeated requests (politely) from security to move down the carriage and away from the doors on the platform side. About 35 people boarded at HHL yesterday.

Photos are at Heath yesterday, and Llanbradach today.

IMG_E1189.JPG

IMG_E1192.JPG

Edited by Tim Hall
Punctuation
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Lack of ETS on 025 not an issue in this weather.

It'll get a bit hot and sticky with no air con! From memory I think ETS also powers the central door locking. I believe 421 is left running on the rear to provide ETS supply

Jo

Edited by Steadfast