Rhymney......loco hauled return ?

• RMweb Gold

If it was "summer" it would get uncomfortable without ETS, it seemed ok on a cool. drizzly morning today. 421 seemed to be switched off both yesterday and today. Will try to upload a video later. From memory, didn't the earlier AC Mk2s  have underframe batteries for ETS backup, and the later ones and Mk3s relied on an external supply?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not going well today.

The second Rhymney bound train waited about half an hour in Central for a member of crew, holding several other trains up behind it.

Then when it turned up at Queen Street there were only three coaches.

A lot of people were left behind.

As it pulled in passengers were warned that the engine at the front was not for passenger use(!)

Mind you, the rear cab would have provided a bit of extra space...

It did manage to accelerate out of Queen Street pretty smartly.

Edited by Coryton

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/09/2019 at 19:15, lmsforever said:

Lucky people in Wales a 37 and mk2 coaches  pity we couldn't have them Aylesbury Marylebone

Or not so lucky if you're a regular commuter.  It's being reported elsewhere that TfW have become frustrated with the errant 37/4's (just 2 for a 2 train service - 37/0 not much comfort right now).

37-hauled services to end 31Jan and TfW juggling units around Wales to provide enough units wef 03Feb to see off loco-hauled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Clearly that didn't happen but 37.418 is now out of action with a blown turbo-charger and no-heat 37.025 can't be used in winter so it's 37.421 or nowt, with the other 'loco hauled' diagram being whatever units are available.  Dates of late Feb/early Mar now being bandied about for changeover. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

They fixed 37418 (hooray) and it ran in the evening peak, where it promptly failed at Energlyn and Churchill Park (boo, hiss).  After attention with a large hammer it managed to spring into life and struggled to Rhymney about 30' late.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe I’ve read this wrong but I thought that the loco hauled Rhymney services were top and tailed or is the loco able to run round it’s train at Rhymney and at Canton?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Maybe I’ve read this wrong but I thought that the loco hauled Rhymney services were top and tailed or is the loco able to run round it’s train at Rhymney and at Canton?

No T&T, run rounds at both ends

• Like 1

37418 seemed to struggle on Friday night, was 35 late at Llanbradach despite Energlyn & Churchill Park Right time. This morning it was on the rear of 2F10 07:43 Rhymney to Cardiff with 37025 powering the train - 37418 was running to provide ETH. Given there is 2 weeks left could this be the last turn 418 does?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ed-farms said:

37418 seemed to struggle on Friday night, was 35 late at Llanbradach despite Energlyn & Churchill Park Right time. This morning it was on the rear of 2F10 07:43 Rhymney to Cardiff with 37025 powering the train - 37418 was running to provide ETH. Given there is 2 weeks left could this be the last turn 418 does?

My understanding is that 418 has a turbo problem which probably explains why it was providing ETH only this morning. If the 37's only have another 2 weeks of operation then it seems likely that the 025 powering and 418 ETH combination will continue.  

22 hours ago, young37215 said:

My understanding is that 418 has a turbo problem which probably explains why it was providing ETH only this morning. If the 37's only have another 2 weeks of operation then it seems likely that the 025 powering and 418 ETH combination will continue.  

Surprisingly 418 lead the train back up last night, 025 was leading to Cardiff this morning. So no idea what the plan is going forward - especially if 421 struggles

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2020 at 13:11, Ed-farms said:

Surprisingly 418 lead the train back up last night, 025 was leading to Cardiff this morning. So no idea what the plan is going forward - especially if 421 struggles

One diagram is still running - rumours are that this Monday will be the last. (Admittedly that's what I heard two weeks ago, but I think it can't be long now)

This week so far it's been 37 418 (and it seems to be behaving well); before that it was the Colas livery one. 

The other diagram is 3x153, and when I've seen it they've managed to put three together in the new TFW livery.

From what I've heard, once they have enough 153s available, the remaining 37 diagram will go the same way and it will be the end of an era (for the second time).

23 hours ago, Coryton said:

One diagram is still running - rumours are that this Monday will be the last. (Admittedly that's what I heard two weeks ago, but I think it can't be long now)

This week so far it's been 37 418 (and it seems to be behaving well); before that it was the Colas livery one. 

The other diagram is 3x153, and when I've seen it they've managed to put three together in the new TFW livery.

From what I've heard, once they have enough 153s available, the remaining 37 diagram will go the same way and it will be the end of an era (for the second time).

Yes I have heard the same, I heard last week Monday gone was the end yet I saw 418 this morning. Last I heard 418 comes down on Monday and he stock is going to Landore for warm storage but who knows what will happen? Even TFW don't seem to know

• RMweb Premium

Well that's a shame.

This evening's run cancelled due to the train having broken down - doesn't even seem to have made it out of the depot.

Maybe it will run later ECS for a final (or not) run south on Monday?

Apparently there are 6 blue grey coaches lined up at Canton - presumably all the ones not in the rake they're using - so maybe they're ready to all be taken off shortly.

Edited to add:

I've seen elsewhere what seems to be a screen grab from TFW Journeycheck saying that this is it - the 37 will be sent back and the coaches stored until their lease runs out. It did use the phrase "no more advertised services", but given that the coaches will be stored elsewhere and the train needs a set of security guards on board, I can't see it running on an ad hoc basis.

Edited by Coryton

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2020 at 13:31, Coryton said:

its been the end of an era for 37/4’s quite a few times, from a quick scan I recall it was the end of an era....

Scotland 1989

North West c1994

Scotrail (again) c1996

North West c2000

Fort William 2006

Cardiff c2005

Barrow 2015

End of Preservation 2015/6

Barrow 2018

Anglia 2019

Cardiff 2020

When 37/4’s were withdrawn first time around I remember 37418 arriving at Bury and running its first train in preservation 2009...Until it returned to Colas in 2016... several 37/4’s are “unpreserved”.

if they figure a solution for toilets in a dbso who knows they might yet comeback again...

I cant imagine the DRS37/4 fleet going unnoticed by another TOC thats buying aggressively,

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

its been the end of an era for 37/4’s quite a few times, from a quick scan I recall it was the end of an era....

Indeed.

But it's only the second time round for 37-hauled passenger trains in the Valleys, which is what I was thinking of. Somewhat parochial of me, perhaps, but it is the subject of the thread.

• RMweb Premium

Well, 2F10 this morning was a 4 car Pacer. While they are also an endangered species (and I do have a soft spot for them) it's not quite the same.

It was followed a little later by an ECS 153+153+150, running as 5F10. 

So I'm not sure what was going on there.

• RMweb Gold

The last train from Cardiff to Rhymney in previous incarnation was Friday 8th Dec 2006, with a return to Cardiff on the morning of Mon 9th Dec 2006:

But they'd had a farewell day on Sunday 4th Dec 2005, prematurely: