RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well you have been lucky.

I have had moderators say to me you are right but he does pay so you are in the wrong.

Trust me, that won't be happening here! Everyone will need to abide by the same rules.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

From my life experiences where you have a two tire system those on the the lower run do get treated differently. Fact of life. 

It will result in an elite group and those of us mere mortals posting less and sharing less and RMweb not being the busiest forum in the UK railway modelling world.

Sorry Andy if you have put a lot of effort into this but I can only go on my own personal experiences.

Clive,

I don't really get what you are getting at? As I understand it there I no two-tier system ... what exists is what we have all been using gratis for years.  A great forum where people share information and ideas and have a common focus.  That doesn't change, the paid membership doesn't give you any more or less - ok if your posting pictures you can post bigger or more, but that's it.  In exchange for the payment, you are getting extra bits such as the digital editions, show ticket, etc.. potentially more support if it is needed and the ability to sell things.  Well to be honest, I really don't see how any of that is going to get people treating others differently.  

Its not as if only paid members can start threads or post on certain forums - no offence intended at all, but I think you're looking for problems where they don't exist.  I wouldn't treat anyone different if they were a Gold Member, and I am sure you wouldn't.  Each to their own, it will work for some and not for others.  Personally, I am all for what Andy and Phil are doing - keep the status quo and improve the business stability by charging people for the optional extras. Hope it works for you guys.

Rich 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

From my life experiences where you have a two tire system those on the the lower run do get treated differently. Fact of life. 

It will result in an elite group and those of us mere mortals posting less and sharing less and RMweb not being the busiest forum in the UK railway modelling world.

Sorry Andy if you have put a lot of effort into this but I can only go on my own personal experiences.

Hi Clive,

I'm not denying your statement, but in my experience I haven't seen this. One professional forum I use a lot (AUGI.com, part of Autodesk, so they have lots of money but still have a tiered system of free to paid membership) I've never seen any elitism. Nor conversely I have never seen any degradation of help or support across the membership tiers. Platinum and Gold members are still just as willing to help ordinary free members.

I don't know why this would be any different on RMWeb.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

as an incentive to be among the first Gold members is that we will be rewarding one lucky member who joins up before 01 May with a prize of a Farish Western Pullman train pack worth £379.95.

Western_Pullman_1.jpg

Not only not my era, not my area...not even my scale! :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it sounds an interesting proposition and worth giving a try. 

It shows, to me at least, that Warners are keen to develop RMweb.  And this positive development and ongoing upkeep and maintenance of RMweb doesn’t come cheap - the income from site advertisements only goes so far.

No current users are disadvantaged by the introduction of RMweb Gold.  If members perceive benefits in Gold membership then apply.  If you’re happy with the status quo, then don’t apply.

Edited by 4630
to correct a typo.
  • Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

What you are paying for here is actually a subscription to BRM with access to the full back catalogue (which in itself is good value) plus a free ticket to a BRM show and some extras on RmWeb.

Rather than look at the value of the offering people are looking at the private members area of RMWeb as being the be all and end all of the membership.

I imagine that part is more like the Bachmann club with access to some extras that everyone else will see later.

Mt BRM sub has just expired so this comes at a good time as the new gold membership gives me access to mags all the way back to 2007.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Chamby said:

If I become a goldmember, can I change my username to Austin Powers, and have time travel included in the package, please?

Gold members can happily travel back to 2007 - a time before RevolutioN, Rapido and O gauge RTR.

• Funny 1

16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Ooh Gordon, i can see you've gone gold - your post is even has a gold plated tinge.

I'd rather it wasn't so visible, but hey ho, understand the reasons which are no different from most web forums.

I felt it was worthwhile for the classifieds alone as they worked well in the past and there was no commission to pay eBay etc.

A few sales and it will pay for itself.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Clive,

I don't really get what you are getting at? As I understand it there I no two-tier system ...

The gold colour message backgrounds of those Gold members who post tends to demolish that argument. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, jonny777 said:

The gold colour message backgrounds of those Gold members who post tends to demolish that argument. 

It's just a colour, it doesn't bestow you with special powers.

I didn't need to tug on a forelock to respond to Gordon. 

• Agree 1

Just now, woodenhead said:

It's just a colour, it doesn't bestow you with special powers.

I didn't need to tug on a forelock to respond to Gordon. 

In which case, why is any differentiation on a forum necessary? Previous digital BRM subscribers were not singled out this way. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Hi Clive,

I'm not denying your statement, but in my experience I haven't seen this. One professional forum I use a lot (AUGI.com, part of Autodesk, so they have lots of money but still have a tiered system of free to paid membership) I've never seen any elitism. Nor conversely I have never seen any degradation of help or support across the membership tiers. Platinum and Gold members are still just as willing to help ordinary free members.

I don't know why this would be any different on RMWeb.

Hi Damo

It is all around us in every day life. Give someone a special badge and a gold boarder to their post and make them feel special, and soon act as if they are special. Trust me. 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

What you are paying for here is actually a subscription to BRM with access to the full back catalogue (which in itself is good value) plus a free ticket to a BRM show and some extras on RmWeb.

Rather than look at the value of the offering people are looking at the private members area of RMWeb as being the be all and end all of the membership.

I imagine that part is more like the Bachmann club with access to some extras that everyone else will see later.

Mt BRM sub has just expired so this comes at a good time as the new gold membership gives me access to mags all the way back to 2007.

Indeed. I already pay for a sub to BRM. If I were to take up this Gold membership, it would be a matter of "upgrading" my subscription. Access to the back numbers could be very useful on its own. 

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I would have been happy to launch yesterday but Steve correctly prophecied that someone would think it was an April Fool if we did it on my first day back; so we parked it until today. And that's why I get p'd off; countless hours of work shot down by 30 seconds on the keyboard.

First post: 23 hours ago, that makes it still 1st April. 

PS that took 12 seconds to type.

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Damo

It is all around us in every day life. Give someone a special badge and a gold boarder to their post and make them feel special, and soon act as if they are special. Trust me. 

People tell me I'm special all the time and I don't come with a gold border. :jester:

There is a badge?  Excellent, can't wait to wander around DEMU all Mr Bean like pointing my badge in their faces

Edited by woodenhead
  • Funny 3

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Damo

Clive, I sincerely hope that comment is not addressed to me as nothing could be further from the truth.....:mad_mini:

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1