Lisburn North - An 00 gauge layout

Lambeg Man

On 10/06/2021 at 14:18, pat141 said:

Your the boss, run what you like.

Trying to run a model railway in a prototypical way can limit what you can and can't do.

Yes Pat, I see your point, but every now and then my OCD kicks in! Did for example any of the ex-GNR cement vans as opposed to the 'bubbles' make their way north after 1958? Surely post 1965 CIE would not have been moving cement to Belfast in ex-GNR vans when they had the 'bubbles' in service?

22 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

This springs to mind, but perhaps I am being over optimistic lol :)

You my friend are being VERY optimistic! There are ten wagons in question (all limited edition and no longer in production), all in their original boxes with the information sheets. etc. Hardly used. I think it highly unlikely they will ever be "free to a good home", do you?!? LOL

Edited by Lambeg Man
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The GNR's equivalent of CIE's "H" vans, initially used mostly on cement traffic from Drogheda, and later interchangeable with the "H" vans as a common fleet of standard covered vans, were indeed to be seen on loose-coupled goods trains from CIE to the north while they ran.

Not any specifically cement-orientated wagons other than that, until the "bubbles" appeared.

Hi JHB,

Have had a long chat with Jim Egar on this subject. The 'bubbles' were introduced in 1964 and were for 'bulk' cement. You are right, bagged cement would have still gone north in the 'cement' vans. However by 1964 the ex-GNR 'cement' vans would have been in CIE livery, not GNR. So rather than desecrate the excellent finish provided by Provincial Wagons, I have already sold them. I will purchase second hand Dapol models that the PW van was based on and paint them up in CIE livery myself. LM

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Provincial Wagon vans have all gone to very good homes. Now I've just got a long line of grey liveried vans that have to have CIE decals added. Little or no movement of modelling as my wife suffered a stroke at the end of May. She has been home since early September and her care consumes much of my time.

However I have in mind another project... Watch this space! 

Edited by Lambeg Man
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 14/11/2021 at 22:36, Lambeg Man said:

Provincial Wagon vans have all gone to very good homes. Now I've just got a long line of grey liveried vans that have to have CIE decals added. Little or no movement of modelling as my wife suffered a stroke at the end of May. She has been home since early September and her care consumes much of my time.

However I have in mind another project... Watch this space! 

Hope she recovers well.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 16/11/2021 at 16:55, kirley said:

I was wondering why you had not been posting, hope your wife will have a speedy and complete recovery.

On 17/11/2021 at 02:01, jhb171achil said:

Hope she recovers well.

Thanks lads for the supportive comments. She is doing as well as can be expected in the circumstances. 

Now back to trains... I am closing my input on this thread as "Lisburn North" is about to become extinct! It was a poor design. Only 30% of the actual oval was 'scenic viewing'. I tried to compensate by putting another 'scenic section' in front of the hidden sidings, but this just lead to double junctions at each of the side sections as the photo's below show. In turn, the need for a back scene would have restricted manual access to the hidden sidings themselves.

image.png.9cca0c14d49dd77e74637a066b974b81.png

The large reverse curve necessary to present the correct exit under the Belfast Road bridge takes up two feet of board.

image.png.593f4e98d823cbd72812a429b533bc58.png

A suitable height of back scene to an additional 'scenic section' would have hindered manual access to the hidden sidings.

image.png.03ff51f9187291e334944144f4166279.png

Ten foot wide end comprising lifting section and a double junction (nothing scenic) ...

Once I have finalized plans for my new project, I will start a new thread...

Many thanks for watching and all the supportive comments over the last few years. LM

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hope things are improving with your wife’s health Steve and you are getting the support you require.

Sorry to hear of the demise of Lisburn North, hopefully we will see plans soon for your new layout and you will be able to devote more time to it and get good enjoyment from it

• Agree 2