Cancelled due to vandalism- Stamford show 18th May

Trains4U

The story is rapidly gaining traction across wider media and is now in the Top 10 Most Read on the BBC News website. After all the recent positive publicity for the hobby in mainstream media, it's sad that a story like this is making headline news. Hopefully some good will come from it.

In terms of helping those affected, one of the best ways would be for us actively support their future events. Market Deeping MRC are undeterred and have already committed to rebuilding. St. Neots MRC also lost Helmthwaite & Chapel Lane. Their exhibition is just three weeks away. Looking at the website, there's an impressive selection of layouts, demonstrators and traders. I'm sure they would welcome some extra footfall from here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Desperately sad; I can't imagine the emotional, mental and physical impact of this on the modellers and contributors.   

No amount of 'rough justice' for the perpetrators can address the pain and turmoil of having a life's work destroyed overnight, and I hope all concerned will be offered appropriate care and counselling to help deal with what must be akin to bereavement.   

My thoughts are with them all.

David  

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MJI said:

This is horrific and I think the criminals will not get away with it as they will be known.

They were caught in the act so definitely known.

The police arrived to find they were still on the premises.

• Agree 2

Like everyone on here, I'm horrified by what happened just a few minutes up the road from here on Friday night. I hope that, once the shock is over and those caught up in this have had a chance to get their breath, that there will be things which the wider hobby can do to help and that, perhaps, some reconstruction of damaged models will be possible. I've also noticed the expressions of concern about future willingness to exhibit, risk and cost of insurances etc. May I suggest a step back from these concerns for a moment? In 56 years of professional involvement in the hobby, I cannot recall another instance of this type or magnitude. Yes, the odd clubhouse break-in and theft or vandalism, the odd theft from a show, but not a pre-show overnight break-in and gratuitous destruction on this scale. I do wonder if there was more to this than meets the eye, with kids of exam age, a hall that was probably about to be used for exams and a possible motive that would have had nothing to do with wrecking model railways. We must wait and see. I think - and certainly hope - it is a dreadful one-off. (CJL)

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just donated and it was very easy to do, but in the few moments it took me, the fund went from £2410 to £2885!

I am so sorry for every ones losses in this tragic event...

Kev

17 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I've just donated and it was very easy to do, but in the few moments it took me, the fund went from £2410 to £2885!

I am so sorry for every ones losses in this tragic event...

Kev

Just noticed there appear to be two pages. The other one is here: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/steve-follows?utm_term=QD6pm3ea2

Edited by robertcwp
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Not sure if or how this could work but could clubs in an area who hold shows e.g. (South East or Northwest etc) , group together to get a security firm to cover the different venues during the year if required (some venues have there own obviously) and hopefully be able to negotiate a deal for all the clubs involved? Again like I say, just a thought and not sure practicalities etc. Yes the cost would need to covered but could help reduce insurance premium for exhibition.

Simon

This has much merit. Surely ALL the UK model railway clubs could get together and pool resources over this issue? Buy a group cover policy at Lloyds to include loss (of gate income) due to cancellation (under whatever circumstances) and loss of property value (to layout and trade stand owners) in the event of fire, flood, vandalism and so on. I am absolutely certain that Lloyds can offer this cover, its just a case of approaching the right broker.

• Like 1

The response has been astonishing 

My original post on Facebook ( merely intended as a notification) has been seen by over 55,000 people.

The story is (At the time of posting) the most read story on the national BBC news website.

I think we may be surprised at just how much support will be forthcoming.

In the meantime I’ll be liaising with the club to help in our own way.

I Remain hopeful that the goodwill of ordinary, decent folk will go far to bringing some positivity out of this whole mess.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

This has much merit. Surely ALL the UK model railway clubs could get together and pool resources over this issue? Buy a group cover policy at Lloyds to include loss (of gate income) due to cancellation (under whatever circumstances) and loss of property value (to layout and trade stand owners) in the event of fire, flood, vandalism and so on. I am absolutely certain that Lloyds can offer this cover, its just a case of approaching the right broker.

Exhibition insurance is already widely available  - most clubs seem to do it through CMRA and Magnet.

You can get various amounts of cover from loss/damage, public liability etc. up to recompense for cancellation of a show and loss of income.

The show premium will also vary with the insured value of the layouts/stock - I will bet that many exhibitors are now increasing their stock/layout values, thus pushing up insurance premiums. This cost will have to be born somewhere.

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Just noticed there appear to be two pages. The other one is here: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/steve-follows?utm_term=QD6pm3ea2

Hope they are both genuine...

Who is Steve Follows, and if genuine, shouldn't he sensibly merge his appeal with the official one?

Tony

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Insurance is a different matter to security. CMRA and Magnet both run insurance schemes for exhibitions. I believe many traders have their own insurance anyway.

However, as noted, financial recompense can't bring back the hours/years of work involved in creating the models, or any sentimental value attached to them by their owners, hence the discussion of security.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Insurance is a different matter to security. CMRA and Magnet both run insurance schemes for exhibitions. I believe many traders have their own insurance anyway.

However, as noted, financial recompense can't bring back the hours/years of work involved in creating the models, or any sentimental value attached to them by their owners, hence the discussion of security.

Correct but the new suggestion is group cover for all events paid by all clubs into a fiscal pool.

This sort of behaviour quite frankly beggars belief to my mind, it is so sad. I just don’t understand the reasons for performing such acts of mindless destruction. They seem to have no respect for other peoples property at all. I wonder how they would feel if somebody trashed their personal things. I have long thought I am living in a world I no longer understand at all.

I can only imagine what the owners and builders of the layouts must be feeling now. I hope the punishment meted out to the idiots who did this, fit’s the crime.

Peter M

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I have also seen other independent initiatives. I would recommend using the previously given link in the knowledge that money is going direct to the club/organisers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

My deepest sympathies to those involved.  

We can all imagine how it must feel to have lost so much that is irreplaceable.

As has been said, it's not the monetary value but the hours of skill, care and time have gone into all these exhibits that is the most heart-wrenching.

Glad to see that the fundraising page is live, as linked earlier in the thread.

At times like these it is tempting to become drawn into anger and vindictiveness.  I am glad this thread has tended to avoid this, focusing more on sympathy and positive messages of encouragement and practical support.  I am not sure there is much to be gained by second-guessing the outcome of whatever legal process may ensue.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Ben A said:

At times like these it is tempting to become drawn into anger and vindictiveness.  I am glad this thread has tended to avoid this, focusing more on sympathy and positive messages of encouragement and practical support. 

Indeed, although privately I am imagining shredding their sports casual 'designer-wear' and chucking their X-box, I-phone and so on into the sea.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Senseless vandalism, the perpetrators will hopefully regret their actions. So sorry for all those who have seen years of work, their business etc. ruined. The model railway community are behind you.

• Agree 2