Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Very true, which is why they are probably doing modern liveries and ones that haven’t been offered before. We have taken delivery of 2 new Bachmann 47s, wonderful locos, but not worthy of a whole fleet wide replacement. Given you can pick up older Bachmann ones for £100 or less, the duff market is saturated. That said, so many duffs are needed if modelling the Uk. 

Onto the 45s, again, excited for the 45/1. But with seal beamers from Bachmann now saturating the market, I do worry for its success. The lack of response on clear issue’s is just unacceptable for a model being produced in 2022. I hope the extended delay of multiple years has rectified some basic shape flaws, but I remain doubtful over the companies track record. (For the record, I have bought and continue to buy many Heljan products) but their streak of clutching defeat from the jaws of victory is well founded. Hope to see the 45 soon. 

What's to say that Bachmann won't deliver more Peaks in the next couple of announcements, it would be an own goal by them to miss out on further sales with a competitor breathing down their neck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I can go back as far as 2014 on here and say 45’s arent imo the holy grail some promote it to be.

its a class of many tooling variations, but not many liveries.

Peaks lived in the shadows of EE enthusiasts and their passing was a fraction that of 25’s, 40’s etc…

That the Bachmann ones are yet to sell out, says enough imo.

Yes were missing a sealed beam 45/1 in Blue, and once everyones got their “1”, maybe 2.., and 45106 what next ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

They look rather smart! Guessing these are final samples so the finished product will look similar to these? I’m sure the 45 Buffs on this forum will give them a detailed appraisal but to me they look very good. If I remember correctly there was some debate over the Cab Door which put the roof profile and therefore windows out of shape? 

57 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

They look rather smart! Guessing these are final samples so the finished product will look similar to these? I’m sure the 45 Buffs on this forum will give them a detailed appraisal but to me they look very good. If I remember correctly there was some debate over the Cab Door which put the roof profile and therefore windows out of shape? 

looks like the gentle curve at the top of the cab doors is still absent but the weathered 45033 looks smart, these will sell well I feel.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, GD said:

looks like the gentle curve at the top of the cab doors is still absent but the weathered 45033 looks smart, these will sell well I feel.

Having said that the front windows just look really strange?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The thing I can’t work out is the front nose - it looks to me like the flat section starts too high up, making it look a little like it’s had a punch in the nose - am I imagining it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

The only one I'm really interested in (got more than enough Bachmann peaks) is the TMC special D15 with the split boxes and nose doors.

Their samples are far from convincing regarding the door recess detail...

TMC D15 in blue

I think it might be the lighting in the photo that makes it look poor? If you have a look at their other split headcode exclusives like D11, 12 or 13, the door recess lines stand out quite well - It's just the bright yellow that hides it.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

The only one I'm really interested in (got more than enough Bachmann peaks) is the TMC special D15 with the split boxes and nose doors.

Their samples are far from convincing regarding the door recess detail...

TMC D15 in blue

unnamed.jpg

Looking at the 360 model I agree it may well be an early EP, when you look at the unpainted version in the other thumb prints it is clear. I with you this is the one for me if …lol… 

1 hour ago, amwells said:

The thing I can’t work out is the front nose - it looks to me like the flat section starts too high up, making it look a little like it’s had a punch in the nose - am I imagining it?

I see what you mean and I thought the same but I think the angle of the photo is deceptive. Have a look at the pictures here and it looks better to my eyes:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I see what you mean and I thought the same but I think the angle of the photo is deceptive. Have a look at the pictures here and it looks better to my eyes:

thank you, that does look better!

Hi

Sorry if I've missed this, but is there a list of retailer exclusives?

I've found the KRMC ones (obv.), and Rails have 45060, D65 and Hattons have two un-numbered versions of 45/1 (both sealed beam headcode panels, one with a hi-intensity headlight).

TIA

Richard

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, richard_t said:

Hi

Sorry if I've missed this, but is there a list of retailer exclusives?

I've found the KRMC ones (obv.), and Rails have 45060, D65 and Hattons have two un-numbered versions of 45/1 (both sealed beam headcode panels, one with a hi-intensity headlight).

TIA

Richard

This is from the Heljan Fb posted today on the Peaks:

"Several retailer exclusives will also be available from TMC, Kernow Model Rail Centre, Rails of Sheffield and Olivia's Trains. See their websites for more information. Models for general release through Heljan stockists are as follows.

#45100 BR green D31

#45101 BR green D57 with small yellow panels (see above)

#45104 BR blue 64 Coldstream Guardsman (full yellow ends) - see below

#45300 BR blue 45003 (sealed beam ends)

#45304 BR blue 45033 'Sirius' (sealed beam ends/Tinsley unofficial names) WEATHERED

#45402 BR blue 45133 (sealed beam ends)

#45501 BR 'railtour' green 45106 with sealed beam ends, Tinsley diamond plaques and HI headlight

#45502 BR blue 45118 (sealed beam ends, orange cantrail stripes and HI headlight)"

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/

cheers,

Keith

Front windows are still a glaring error, probably due to lack of curvature at top of cab door, this makes the 'face' of the loco obviously incorrect. So infuriating given that these errors were pointed out many months ago and yet the manufacturer didnt correct them

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Front windows are still a glaring error, probably due to lack of curvature at top of cab door, this makes the 'face' of the loco obviously incorrect. So infuriating given that these errors were pointed out many months ago and yet the manufacturer didnt correct them

They didn’t even acknowledge the errors that had been pointed out, let alone change them!

The axle covers also seem out of scale quite badly.  It looks like on the model one of these would virtually fill the driver’s open window aperture, which obviously wouldn’t be the case on the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Alan Oliver said:

Guess I will have to wait for another manufacturer to produce a sealed beam headlight fitted 45/1, did have one on order but with the glaring cab door error cancelled that.

I think the cab door is the least of it's worries, but different things stick out for different people I guess! Don't bank on anyone else producing an all new peak for a very long time. I think between Bachmann and Heljan the market will be saturated unfortunately. Despite being a peak lover myself, I am well aware that they do not have as big and diverse a following as say class 37's and 47's, with their myriads of liveries etc. 

It's a shame that Bachmann sat on it's backside with the peaks, as they could have gone to town on new toolings covering the different classes and variations etc. (like they're doing now with the 47), but instead chose to milk the old tooling because they had the market. The peaks were ripe for another manufacturer to step in, it's just a shame that Heljan don't seem to have produced the definitive peak here.

Certain aspects of it appear much better than the existing Bachmann model (underframe details, centre-split headcodes look more convincing etc.), but the cab window area is a major turn off, among other flaws in these samples.

Cameron

• Like 6
  • Agree 2