• RMweb Premium

Trains over the Clifton Suspension Bridge.:no:

Was that part of Brunel's way of getting to South Wales?:jester:

(Yes i know it's the wrong direction!)

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, truffy said:

I think you may not be as clever as you think you are: I'll leave you to work it out....

Me? Clever? Oh, your poor, misguided fool!

Edited by tomparryharry
Post deleted:- Not helpful

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

Is RMWeb fearing litigation from the liquidators

Not at all but we have acted to protect some individual members from themselves posting comments which could be argued to be libellous or at least unproven. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not at all but we have acted to protect some individual members from themselves posting comments which could be argued to be libellous or at least unproven. 

I thought the comment to which I responded (both now removed) was intended in jest not serious as that had been how the topic has been moving of late. My bad, apologies, I just didn't make that kind of connection.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/06/2019 at 21:29, 37505bstp said:

In an email exchange with Mr Jones at the tail end of 2018 when I'd had enough of his bluster and asked for a refund, the said Mr Jones stated that one of the many reasons I could not have refund was due to him having paid VAT on the deposits I was reclaiming.

Apart from the false vat excuse (you simply amend the next vat return to account for refunds) what sort reasons did he give for not paying deposit refunds ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

But a railway suspension bridge that is that is (a) Victorian, (b) for standard gauge, and (c) in the UK?

Grand_Victorian_Suspension_Bridge_box.jpg.ce115b270b2fd4e4f645dc1c90971a72.jpg

Unfortunately, Pont Gisclard is (d) none of the above.

Apologies, this is becoming increasingly off topic. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

But a railway suspension bridge that is that is (a) Victorian, (b) for standard gauge, and (c) in the UK?

Yes there was at least one, an abject failure. Built across the Tees for the S&D.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, time to set the record straight.   The bridge in that illustration was indeed Victorian as the image 'Talltim' posted was dated as c.1876 and according to a Wiki article that bridge stood from 1855 to 1897 but as train weights increased it was replaced by a steel arch bridge and yes it did, among others, have standard gauge track.

But now we come to the crunch - as the Niagara Falls are not in the UK the Niagara Falls suspension bridge - which linked Canada and the USA - was very definitely not in Britain but was 2.5 miles downstream of the falls it was named after.  Which leaves the GWR bit and that is remarkably simple because the GWR in question was the Great Western Railway (of Canada) originally opened in 1853-4 and according to Wiki (sorry) finally having a route mileage of 852 miles.  And the more than one gauge of track on the suspension bridge?  - the GWR was originally built with a track gauge of 5ft 6ins but was narrowed to the more conventional gauge by the 1870s.  but it appears at one time to have had some dual gauge trackage -

https://ingeniumcanada.org/archives/details/MAT-01308

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 5

Well, as the saying goes, I may be none the wiser, but at least I'm better informed.

The wiki entry on the S&D bridge is interesting:

When the first trial steam engine and train of loaded coal wagons crossed the bridge on 27 December 1830, the bridge flexed so much that the unstiffened bridge deck rose like a static wave in front of the engine. One particular trial load was enough to damage the towers with one tower on the Yorkshire side cracking. The bridge was propped mid span using trestles and traffic was restricted to four wagons at a time, spaced 27 feet (8 m) apart by chains to spread the load.[1] The trials had shown that this type of suspension bridge was unsuitable for railway traffic and to this day there are no rail suspension bridges in the UK. Suspension bridges were not used successfully for railways until the building of the 1855 Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge in the USA incorporating both road and rail decks.

The point of course, is that a large 'modern' British Railways express passenger steam locomotive with a heavy train of Mark Is hurtling over a Victorian suspension bridge is very deeply in the realms of fantasy and wishful thinking and denial of reality.

Which, I believe, brings us closer to the topic than we've been for a while! 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, as the saying goes, I may be none the wiser, but at least I'm better informed.

The wiki entry on the S&D bridge is interesting:

When the first trial steam engine and train of loaded coal wagons crossed the bridge on 27 December 1830, the bridge flexed so much that the unstiffened bridge deck rose like a static wave in front of the engine. One particular trial load was enough to damage the towers with one tower on the Yorkshire side cracking. The bridge was propped mid span using trestles and traffic was restricted to four wagons at a time, spaced 27 feet (8 m) apart by chains to spread the load.[1] The trials had shown that this type of suspension bridge was unsuitable for railway traffic and to this day there are no rail suspension bridges in the UK. Suspension bridges were not used successfully for railways until the building of the 1855 Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge in the USA incorporating both road and rail decks.

The point of course, is that a large 'modern' British Railways express passenger steam locomotive with a heavy train of Mark Is hurtling over a Victorian suspension bridge is very deeply in the realms of fantasy and wishful thinking and denial of reality.

Which, I believe, brings us closer to the topic than we've been for a while! 

So the flexing of my Hornby grand suspension bridge when Dublo locomotives crossed it was prototypical!

I cured the flexing by inserting a piece of 1" x1/4" steel bar ( available from B&Q)  inside the deck. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Most definitely A Bridge Too Far....

24 minutes ago, KDG said:

Must be tired and sh@gg3d out after a long squawk

Lovely plumage.....

• Funny 3

15 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

So the flexing of my Hornby grand suspension bridge when Dublo locomotives crossed it was prototypical!

I cured the flexing by inserting a piece of 1" x1/4" steel bar ( available from B&Q)  inside the deck. 

Were you expecting full size 10 Ton wagons??

J

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

There's no need to apologise.

It's less off topic than cake, and

I think we'd all had enough cake anyway

Edited by rab
Hit submit before typing the reply.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KDG said:

Must be tired and sh@gg3d out after a long squawk

If that parrot is anything like my budgies, it will definitely not get tired and sh@gg3d out after a long squawk

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

39 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

The NGS forum is now reporting successful credit card claims on DJM payments.

Good news, but just out of curiosity does this mean that the credit card company are now out of pocket? Are they now creditors of DJM?  I have no issue here - I'm just curious.