Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

4 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I agree the architecture is truly offensive and I can think of many other examples of ecclesiastical architecture that are more so! I just wonder if it would be nicer in stone as I think it's the fact that it's in red brick that makes it look so bad. It's a 19thC interpretation of Gothic and it's a bit too tall and a bit too narrow and as such it just fails. I never thought for one moment that you were inferring the worship of  God was the offensive thing about it. I need to remember that Tricky's layout is an artistic sketch of Tewkesbury rather than a scale model of Tewkesbury shed. Given the orientation of the shed I would never have thought that the view wasn't south and looking south from station street at a height of around 20- 50 feet puts that monster right in view which is why I mentioned it. 

Regards Lez.      

I have rather confused matters with the orientation of the engine shed!

• Friendly/supportive 1

I always have to have a wry smile when people modelling 4mm and above “complain” about trying to find room in their locos for motors and/or gearboxes - modelling 2mm finescale as I do with open cabbed tank engines I can only dream of the cavernous space you guys have :jester:

Ian

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

I always have to have a wry smile when people modelling 4mm and above “complain” about trying to find room in their locos for motors and/or gearboxes - modelling 2mm finescale as I do with open cabbed tank engines I can only dream of the cavernous space you guys have :jester:

Ian

Yes but the motors and gearboxes are bigger too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Very nice. What is that basic stock brick colour please?

Sorry, I don’t know for sure. I never apply just one colour straight from the pot and always have two or three mixed around on an old tin lid. The best guess I can offer is some mid brick shades and dark orange in Humbrol, followed by acrylics in sienna and buff shades. Sorry I can’t be more specific but I haven’t yet seemed to arrive at a fixed ‘brick formula’ - it’s just what comes to hand! The plus point to this is that it avoids all the buildings in the scene looking identical. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Sorry I can’t be more specific but I haven’t yet seemed to arrive at a fixed ‘brick formula’ - it’s just what comes to hand!

Thanks, that's fair enough! Exactly what I do actually - was just curious if I might have been missing a trick!

The orange is key for me. Ive seen people start with Humbrol brick red and Halfords primer but they are both quite maroon. BR bauxite might actually be a useful shade in the armoury.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 5

That mill is looking superb! I'm really envious of the look of the brickwork, I really struggle with that.

On 11/12/2021 at 08:13, Hal Nail said:

Thanks, that's fair enough! Exactly what I do actually - was just curious if I might have been missing a trick!

The orange is key for me. Ive seen people start with Humbrol brick red and Halfords primer but they are both quite maroon. BR bauxite might actually be a useful shade in the armoury.

I get what you mean about the orange, next building I do I'll have to try using it. I usually start with a 'brick red' base and never get it to look right. 

• 2 months later...

Off to sunny Kettering tomorrow to set up for the GOG show on Saturday. Pop over and say hi if you’re in the vicinity. B379B900-7EBC-4E7C-A74F-7B9A70433AC7.jpeg.68489041a1d83d3ff902016034e223af.jpeg

• Like 5

On 06/03/2022 at 18:51, Stephenwolsten said:

Good to see you at Kettering and to catch up on things.

97ADCC0C-F2D2-4B81-991B-51DF0EE491D7.JPG

Good to see you too Stephen, and good to catch up with quite a few customers and friends. Thanks also for ‘minding the shop’ whilst I grabbed some lunch!