Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

4 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I agree the architecture is truly offensive and I can think of many other examples of ecclesiastical architecture that are more so! I just wonder if it would be nicer in stone as I think it's the fact that it's in red brick that makes it look so bad. It's a 19thC interpretation of Gothic and it's a bit too tall and a bit too narrow and as such it just fails. I never thought for one moment that you were inferring the worship of  God was the offensive thing about it. I need to remember that Tricky's layout is an artistic sketch of Tewkesbury rather than a scale model of Tewkesbury shed. Given the orientation of the shed I would never have thought that the view wasn't south and looking south from station street at a height of around 20- 50 feet puts that monster right in view which is why I mentioned it. 

Regards Lez.      

I have rather confused matters with the orientation of the engine shed!

• Friendly/supportive 1

I always have to have a wry smile when people modelling 4mm and above “complain” about trying to find room in their locos for motors and/or gearboxes - modelling 2mm finescale as I do with open cabbed tank engines I can only dream of the cavernous space you guys have :jester:

Ian

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

I always have to have a wry smile when people modelling 4mm and above “complain” about trying to find room in their locos for motors and/or gearboxes - modelling 2mm finescale as I do with open cabbed tank engines I can only dream of the cavernous space you guys have :jester:

Ian

Yes but the motors and gearboxes are bigger too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Very nice. What is that basic stock brick colour please?

Sorry, I don’t know for sure. I never apply just one colour straight from the pot and always have two or three mixed around on an old tin lid. The best guess I can offer is some mid brick shades and dark orange in Humbrol, followed by acrylics in sienna and buff shades. Sorry I can’t be more specific but I haven’t yet seemed to arrive at a fixed ‘brick formula’ - it’s just what comes to hand! The plus point to this is that it avoids all the buildings in the scene looking identical. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Sorry I can’t be more specific but I haven’t yet seemed to arrive at a fixed ‘brick formula’ - it’s just what comes to hand!

Thanks, that's fair enough! Exactly what I do actually - was just curious if I might have been missing a trick!

The orange is key for me. Ive seen people start with Humbrol brick red and Halfords primer but they are both quite maroon. BR bauxite might actually be a useful shade in the armoury.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 5

That mill is looking superb! I'm really envious of the look of the brickwork, I really struggle with that.

On 11/12/2021 at 08:13, Hal Nail said:

Thanks, that's fair enough! Exactly what I do actually - was just curious if I might have been missing a trick!

The orange is key for me. Ive seen people start with Humbrol brick red and Halfords primer but they are both quite maroon. BR bauxite might actually be a useful shade in the armoury.

I get what you mean about the orange, next building I do I'll have to try using it. I usually start with a 'brick red' base and never get it to look right. 

• 2 months later...
On 06/03/2022 at 18:51, Stephenwolsten said:

Good to see you at Kettering and to catch up on things.

97ADCC0C-F2D2-4B81-991B-51DF0EE491D7.JPG

Good to see you too Stephen, and good to catch up with quite a few customers and friends. Thanks also for ‘minding the shop’ whilst I grabbed some lunch! 

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

True to my word, I spent a bit of time in Tewks this morning - I just hope I can keep it up! 
So the first job was to check everything still works electrically, and surprisingly it wasn’t too bad. A couple of loose wires and possibly a dodgy tortoise but apart from that all sound. I gave the rail tops a good clean as well so it feels like it really is under way! 
One slightly odd thing - any ideas why the controller doesn’t work? Definitely power to the rails…? 
IMG_1672.jpeg.5d1d62e2ac6eb4d5f0a5861fa3487362.jpeg

IMG_1673.jpeg.4b317360a5529dd87b835162dc516624.jpeg

IMG_1675.jpeg.0e6273ec7a83b52faf0102b414dd2a3f.jpeg

IMG_1676.jpeg.3ba2056174a5aaaef55005c844b4c0ae.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I am so pleased to see this project up and running again.

It is a delightful little scene.

Perhaps an entry into the small layout competition at Stafford next year might encourage you to stick with it?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I am so pleased to see this project up and running again.

It is a delightful little scene.

Perhaps an entry into the small layout competition at Stafford next year might encourage you to stick with it?

Not sure I'm up to speed on the competition?! I will be demo-ing again hoepfully next year if they will have me. It was great fun!

• Like 1