• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cornish pastiche are the best. Traditional recipe. None of these modern fillings. Deffo no lamb. Nice crust. Accompanied by a nice ale............or three.

Rob.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2019 at 09:53, Western Star said:

Oh where to start in reply to this posting?

How about...  a diesel shunter with cylinder drain cocks?

Or more seriously, passengers in a carriage without door locks?  Oh, that is OK for there are no doors!

Lovely story-telling, thank you.

Hmmm, I caught that too (the drain cocks) but then wondered if British Diesels were built differently from US Diesels:biggrin_mini:??? Anyway, I note that the depressed-center flat is riding on US arch-bar trucks!:unsure: NB: I just read this for the first time today and I like it.

Edited by J. S. Bach

This might seem silly, but here goes.  A couple of years ago my wife and I were in an elevator with a young family.  The little girl had a Peppa Pig suitcase.  My wife asked "who is Peppa Pig?"  The girl was very animated in describing the show.  That night, just for heck, my wife and I watched an episode.  It has become perhaps one of our favorite shows.  Is it silly? Yes.  Is it for children? Yes.  But, the show is about a family that seems to have lots of fun together.  Two kids who help out their friends, learn hot to get along and laugh alot.  Sure is a whole lot better than watching other shows - even the news!  Perhaps a 12 step program? Hi, I'm Dave and I think Peppa's pretty cool.  :)

• Like 3

It’s about the only pre-school children’s programme that i’ll watch voluntarily - my only criticism would be that it does ‘rip’ dads uncomfortably much.

Model railwayacs ought to particularly identify with the episode where grandad pig is under mild pressure to throw out his “ship in a bottle” collection.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like eating bacon and sausages at the mention of her name.

Peppa Pig may have tons of merchandise, won tons of awards and merited her own damn theme park, but the writing is terrible and the characters are often annoying. Do you want your kids to not behave responsibly and do bad things without getting any discipline or punishment for not? If I was a parent, I wouldn't. There's nothing realistic when it comes to negative behaviour. The children characters that kids and relate to as well as copycat can be rude, vindictive and conceited beyond belief. The writing would be improved, the characters would gain development and morals would be taught much better.

The nerrator treats the audience (especially the kids) like idiotsby repeating everything the characters say. The kids' shows we had back in the 80s, 90s and early-to-mid-2000s were a lot better than what is being offered the the kids of today, plus the morals they were teaching the kids were much better done. Parents; if your kids have done something wrong or made a mistake or keep doing something you don't want them to do even if it makes them happy or laugh, then you should teach them to behave, make them learn from their mistakes and punish them at the right amount so that they can be better people and not do wrong in the future.

That's what more and more kids' TV shows should feature and be like - not just for merchandising sake or pofitable gain, but with better writing, memorable and relatable characters, catchy music and everlasting charm and appeal; that's the secret to creating proper children's television. Sadly, this has been taken for granted occasionally in a work where attention to detail can be given, then we have to question who the real role-models are.

If some TV shows can handle real-life issues and problems we as a society face in everyday real-life like divorce, drug abuse, PTSD, pollution and mental health issues, then we should try and help kids make sense of a strange, sad, scary and confusing world we all live in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/07/2019 at 21:26, Nearholmer said:

It’s about the only pre-school children’s programme that i’ll watch voluntarily - my only criticism would be that it does ‘rip’ dads uncomfortably much.

Model railwayacs ought to particularly identify with the episode where grandad pig is under mild pressure to throw out his “ship in a bottle” collection.

Yes - it portrays them as fat and incompetent in stark comparison to Homer Simpson. I was talking about how it rips dads.

Edited by LNWR18901910

• RMweb Premium

It is possible to take these things more seriously than Chris, the OP, intended. 

Peppa Pig was a big draw at the GCR  events but Paw Patrol have been catching up and she may fall into the Thomas [aka Britt Allcroft] trap: just too big & expensive. Not a happy fate for a young female porker! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Yes - it portrays them as fat and incompetent in stark comparison to Homer Simpson. I was talking about how it rips dads.

Perhaps by being outwardly fat and incompetent,  Daddy Pig attracts less attention. 

That way he can slip away un noticed to the attic and continue building his large loft layout based on the West of England  main line circa 1955.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Oh dear. When I publish the next installment it will be after 9pm. 

Chris - as a military man, you should follow the example of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington who said 'Publish and be damned' - although that was in connection with stories that are unsuitable for our younger readers looking for a tale about a family of pigs going on holiday. Those who model in a senior scale may (or may not) find a few hidden messages in this story (Peppa not Wellington!).

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rear-window-when-wellington-said-publish-and-be-damned-the-field-marshal-and-the-scarlet-woman-1430412.html

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 81A Oldoak said:

It's more to do with snowflakes and the "V" word. 

Surely not He who cannot be named?

Are we to presume that Peppa's cousin, Barry Trotter, is to make an appearance in Part two of your erudite tome?

For anyone who likes  Peppa, you should also watch "Ben and Holly's little kingdom", by the same people.

Nanny Plum, who is Miss Rabbit in Peppa, is so funny...

• Like 1