Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

As already posted in the Bachmnn 64xx thread:

"If 'someone' wanted to produce a better steam loco driving wheel for split chassis, the way to do it is very simple.

Normal steel axle. This is proven, robust, trouble free for gear mounting.

Turned all metal wheel form, with an integral hub on the inside to run in the chassis half bearing.

Plastic bushes in both wheels, and press fitted onto axles. This is proven, robust, trouble free.

Job done. Much more expensive than two plated castings held together on an insulating muff, but better technique will cost more.

Both Bachmann and Hornby have very successful plastic insulating muff split axle construction in their d&e product, where it is adequate because these wheelsets do not have to tolerate the drive forces transmitted through the crankpins and rods, awkwardly ubiquitously present on steam locos."

As I see it, quite possible at a price. Would it be practical for RTR OO? What with steam loco driven wheelsets now routinely in brass bearings I feel that a better split frame arrangement to go with such a wheelset design is not out of reach: there are compensating parts count and  assembly savings to be had with no wiper pick ups to attach and adjust on a keeper plate for example.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The insulating spacer would normally exist as part of the original chassis. If we are going for a sprung chassis, I had thought about drilling into the crown of a worn -out Mainline chassis, and inserting a small coil spring. I don't have direct access to my spare odds & sods box, but there are several ideas going about to tempt me.  The Muff  idea is a known value, and as you say, used by Hornby & Bachmann. That brings us back to wiper pickups, which is where we started. Creating an insulated axle would solve a lot of problems in one go, and allows the good(?) old Mainline chassis a second life. My sort of thinking through the section A-A upon the  axle goes like this:- Axle nut, Wheel, Brass Spacer, Gear Wheel (optional), Brass Spacer, Wheel, Axle nut. The axle assembly remains live as before. Depending upon the material, it would normally have either the Romford captive nut, or a tapped screw to fix the axle. D&E models have an advantage over their steam brethren, where accurate quartering is crucial to satisfactory running.

Having never been to Pendon, didn't Guy Williams employ the idea some several years ago?

Edited by tomparryharry
Ideas time.