Class 91 withdrawals and appreciation

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Both will be outlived by the 313 :jester:

ECML trains are clearly built to last - most of the 91s will probably survive beyond the racecourse.

They will look weird going into Blackpool. However most things look weird going into Blackpool...………………..:clapping:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

They will look weird going into Blackpool. However most things look weird going into Blackpool...………………..:clapping:

And Cardiff.

Back in the day I used to think Swansea was important in Wales, but the line after Cardiff appears to be less important now, a bit like the South West.

A new type of snobbishness will emerge - does your station have wires?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

And Cardiff.

Back in the day I used to think Swansea was important in Wales, but the line after Cardiff appears to be less important now, a bit like the South West.

If they were crafty they could coast to Swansea having got up to 140 mph at Cardiff. Only works if the wind is not from the west. Yo.

P

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Reported elsewhere that 91108 is booked to work a stock move today, for anyone wanting a photo or two;

0Z91, 11.55 Bounds Green T&RSMD to Doncaster

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N40072/2019/07/23/advanced

and

5Z91, 17.09 Doncaster to Bounds Green T&RSMD

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N40073/2019/07/23/advanced

The usual disclaimer applies.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

No but it means storage rather than scrapping for the 91s as they come off lease - though some will succumb to the spare parts bin.

I'd gladly defer to superior knowledge, but I'm not so sure about robbing for spares. If they haven't had to Christmas Tree any before now it kinda suggests there's a large enough spares pool already. Are any currently being shopped (or stripped)?

C6T. 

DSC_0087_2.JPG

DSC_0068_2.JPG

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I'd gladly defer to superior knowledge, but I'm not so sure about robbing for spares. If they haven't had to Christmas Tree any before now it kinda suggests there's a large enough spares pool already. Are any currently being shopped (or stripped)?

C6T. 

DSC_0087_2.JPG

DSC_0068_2.JPG

Apparently some have already been used as such but may return to service to be returned to the lessor in a working state:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/lner-class-91-mk4-service-status-withdrawals.182066/

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Apparently some have already been used as such but may return to service to be returned to the lessor in a working state:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/lner-class-91-mk4-service-status-withdrawals.182066/

Ta, I'm shamefully out of the loop with the entire rigmarole.

Second post in your link mentions 020 as having been robbed, history repeats (Nimbus)!

C6T. 

9 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Ta, I'm shamefully out of the loop with the entire rigmarole.

Second post in your link mentions 020 as having been robbed, history repeats (Nimbus)!

C6T. 

it does seem daft though that some locomotives were out of service having given up parts to keep other's running only for them all to be fixed prior to the commencement of withdrawal.

Class 90s have been on lease from DB as well to make up the shortfall which is another cost that seems daft if at the very end you have to buy the parts that you're short of.

At least with the 55s BR knew there was no future and had plenty of 47s to use in lieu of and shortfall on the 55 front.

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

One of mine has both wires and third rail. And Pacers. :D

Unfortunately I didn't get to know the Class 91s well as they were the wrong side of the country. I only saw them occasionally at places like York.

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

As a comparison with my shot (above) of 91004 from 1993 in original livery, here's a pic from yesterday (22nd July 2019) of 91119 'Bounds Green' which has been recently repainted in original style.

979011603_(DSC_0918a)91119Ncle22-7-19(TE).jpg.0570dae3bc306cf00d34c49184e91f5c.jpg

Trevor

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

One of mine has both wires and third rail. And Pacers. :D

Unfortunately I didn't get to know the Class 91s well as they were the wrong side of the country. I only saw them occasionally at places like York.

Jason

Scuse me Chief, you were the one on the "wrong side" (cough)! 

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1