Transport Secretary

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I hope nobody decides to have a preservation society or - even worse - campaign for his return

Having found out who his replacement is I'm sure there will be some wishing Grayling was still there. 

I will not comment further :threaten:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, TheSignalEngineer said:

Having found out who his replacement is I'm sure there will be some wishing Grayling was still there. 

I will not comment further :threaten:

I dunno, maybe his second job and alternate alter ego life will mean he is too busy to do any damage. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

I dunno, maybe his second job and alternate alter ego life will mean he is too busy to do any damage. 

I'm rather fond of looking at small company performance at Companies House as even the abbreviated accounts tell a little bit of a story sometimes, such as 'How To Corp Ltd'  -

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/j_V9gi-WklMkHd5wvbUBb0KxtVs/appointments

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm an optimist. Motto: "It hasn't happened yet..."

How can you be an optimist when the choice is to tread in a mound of poo or a puddle of sick, barefoot? 

Which is why we don't do politics. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

6 hours ago, Nimbus said:

The Independent's summary https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grant-shapps-hs2-heathrow-transport-policy-voting-record-boris-johnson-a9020141.html aligns reasonably closely with what I've observed from Mr Shapps as my MP.

The Nim.

From that Indy article:

"One particularly interesting area to watch out for will be rail devolution, notably to Transport for London. You may remember that TfL occasionally asks the government to let it take over running suburban lines into the capital as part of the London Overground. The idea has been on ice for some years now, apparently because of Chris Grayling’s complete opposition. Shapps, however, is a fan – last year he called for TfL to take over the Great Northern line to Welwyn, his constituency. As Mayor of London, Boris Johnson himself was an advocate. TfL has huge ambitions to run metro rail services around London, and if Shapps gives it the green light it could be a major legacy."

...and call it something like South East Network. Brilliant!

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, 4630 said:

I’m not sure that any locomotive would deserve that treatment.   Nor would any DMU or EMU.

As an alternative, how about naming the most beaten up decrepit piece of freight stock that’s languishing forgotten and unloved on some part of the network somewhere?

How about 91108?

As it's on route to the recycling plant.....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Considering the rather obvious economic consequences of the only avowed policy of this government whatever Mr Shapps might prefer to invest in is rather a moot point. It is likely there wont be anything to spend. A few nice announcements for now, to be quietly canned or rowed back as reality dawns.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Not heard anything from the new secretary yet.

finding his feet?

Preparing for the Election!!!!!!!!! Oh, hang on, he will be abroad until September as the rest of them (well his lot) will be.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:27, Right Away said:

Could some sad minded individual bestow Mr Grayling's monika on some unfortunate locomotive? 

I prefer the deceased and very exploded bird remains that usually adorn ECML expresses. None of them have been Graylings as far as I am aware.

P

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I prefer the deceased and very exploded bird remains that usually adorn ECML expresses. None of them have been Graylings as far as I am aware.

P

A grayling is a freshwater fish. I'd expect an aquatic duck to know that!

Now that Mr 'I'm an entrepreneur!' Hunt has gone, I keep getting Grant Shitts Shapps name wrong.

• Funny 1

25 minutes ago, Dava said:

Now that Mr 'I'm an entrepreneur!' Hunt has gone, I keep getting Grant Shitts Shapps name wrong.

Understandable, since the man himself seems to be occasionally confused about who he is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dava said:

A grayling is a freshwater fish. I'd expect an aquatic duck to know that!

I know a grayling is a fish; it was a joke about water problems; never mind.

Quack

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dava said:

I keep getting Grant Shitts Shapps name wrong.

Do I recall a story from McDonald Hobley about a Party Political Broadcast he had to introduce decades ago on BBC radio? Much fussing from top brass about format and presentation, and when the moment arrived, he introduced Sir Stifford Crapps. 

Edited to credit the right announcer!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Funny 4