Kato announces Class 800 in N

Mike Harvey

• RMweb Gold

It appears Kato have acknowledged the error with the MC seating on the GWR models. 

The translation from the link in the above tweet reads:

Thank you for your continued patronage of our products. By the way, in the "(N) British Rail Class 800/0 GWR 5-Car Set (Part No. 10-1671)" released on May 11th (Tuesday).
We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused. We will do our utmost to prevent recurrence, and we ask for your understanding and cooperation.
■ Target products
(N) British Rail Class 800/0 GWR 5-Car Set
   (Product number: 10-1671 JAN code: 4949727682365 Shipped on May 11, 3rd year of Reiwa)
■ Contents
There is an error in the seat expression of the 1st and 2nd class combined car (4th car / car number 814021). The arrangement of the 1st class seats is the reverse of the "First Class" (1st class area) notation on the body with respect to the orientation of the vehicle. * There are no problems in terms of running or functionality.
Wrong (1st class area seats 2 + 2 placement) Correct (1st class area seats 1 + 2 placement)
■ About exchange reception of target products
 We will send a product collection box to customers who have applied for replacement. We are currently adjusting the reception start and entry form.
 As soon as the details are decided, we will inform you again on our homepage, Facebook, Twitter, etc., so please wait for a while.
・ KATO homepage http://www.katomodels.com/
・ KATO official Facebook https://www.facebook.com/katomodels/ ・ KATO official Twitter https://twitter.com/katomodels
■ When to start returning from our company to the customer
Scheduled for mid-June 2021 ~.

Seems the LNER models will not be similarly affected and replacement units will be made available to those who want them. 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 2

HST and IET just running along the track. HST shown running at 80mph )correct for Dawlish Warren) and 125 mph. IET at 80, 125 and flat out at a scale 220mph. I checked out the noise from both trains. The decibel reading was the same for both trains when running at 80 and at 125.

At the end of the vid you see a glimpse of my fastest unit.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone been able to hunt down the DCC decoders, ie. DCC89?

I saw a YouTube video where the guy installed the DCC decoders, but I’ve not seen them in stock anywhere since the GWR 800 arrived, so I’m somewhat puzzled.... I had them on pre-order too, so presumably if they had come in, I would have received them.... bit of a mystery how that guy got hold of his....!

That aside, the simplicity of the Kato 800 is incredible - very impressive.... a ten coach set really looks the part, but having had a high-speed journey to the floor with the motor vehicles as 4th and 7th coaches, I decided to move the motor vehicles to 2nd and 3rd coaches to avoid any further high-speed disasters.... pleasingly the body shells were simply and easily swapped around so everything correct (albeit not some of the minor underframe details).... happy with that!

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, robf said:

The excellent Traintrax seem to have them in stock.

https://www.traintrax.co.uk/class-decoder-p-2056.html

“Due in the UK in June”, and showing £0, although I know the price is in the text. 

They were in stock (not sure about Train Trax), some people got decoders before the models. Sure they’ll come back in. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kato have underestimated how popular DCC is. 

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, robf said:

The excellent Traintrax seem to have them in stock.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I also notice they cost £0.00, which is probably too good to be true :jester: !!!

Odd the individual motor head/tail decoders are available in very small quantities from a few retailers - I wonder if Kato significantly underestimated the demand in the UK for the DCC decoders - I believe DCC is not popular/common in Japan.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, JR_P said:

Thanks for the heads-up, but I also notice they cost £0.00, which is probably too good to be true :jester: !!!

The £40 price is in the text just above the pre order text ;) 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all for the reassurance that I’ll be able to source the decoders in due course :good: !

As an side, we’ve managed to make this thread a ‘hot topic’ :D !!!

• Funny 1

It appears the Azuma sets are getting closer... 

This is a link that got sent to me by a friend which shows some more shots of the Azuma set. ( the website is all in Japanese unfortunately. 

https://www.1999.co.jp/m/10741650

The attached shots below are all taken from the website above ( I will remove if required...)

looking at these shots I’m glad I’ve ordered a set now :) just have to built a suitable layout though...

C5D24144-17E0-4180-B3BF-F09630F795D7.jpeg

3A3374E0-750F-47A0-99C6-1172AE6B8BB2.jpeg

6EB7D383-896F-43A4-A196-5D2B78EA13E0.jpeg

591BCDF9-3DA5-4521-8723-3351763723EA.jpeg

D347BF2D-AC4D-45B2-A3CB-0BB91FD22582.jpeg

Edited by jamie.dunn
Punctuation correction.
  • Like 8

On 01/06/2021 at 21:54, Captain Electra said:

I've ordered one, myself despite also succumbing to a GWR set, which has been used for developing the ElectraRail vinyls for the Class 802 TransPennine Nova1 (Now on sale via the Electra Website).

Wow, Just wow. Were those vinyl's applied directly, or did you remove the GWR Green paint first ?

Hello all, 

Fed-ex kindly delivered this today. 

A983C7A6-74E0-4E3C-8B59-E20844B12C06.jpeg.862ed47386b5fa97898d4c34e804d1e2.jpeg

After watching reviews etc I was very excited to get this, and it hasn’t disappointed. 

12A166FB-451B-4041-8C4E-C38D57472EC2.jpeg.81aa5eff21adb361ebfeabf856268334.jpeg

First observation, no track in it like the GWR Version, not bothered by this but thought it a bit odd. 

31D011A9-F16C-4E6D-843F-61E6291765E1.jpeg.ac998ec29d4b9282c67010c3ea20f4ec.jpeg

fantastic printed details, runs like a dream, what more could you ask from a model?? 

The last time I bought a Kato model was there Eurostar which has run faultlessly for years, I think this will be in the same catergory. 
 Another thing of note is that as I’m typing this she is running in on a layout with curves not far off first radius with no problems at all. 

very happy customer. 

Graham. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly Rails are reporting a delay to the delivery of the LNER models to the end of June / early July due to the MC seating retool. 

Did yours come direct from Japan Graham, and is the seating in the motor composite correct?

Tom. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TomE said:

Did yours come direct from Japan Graham, and is the seating in the motor composite correct?

Tom. 

Hi Tom, 

yes I ordered direct from Japan, I’ll check the seating when I get 5 mins. 

cheers 

Graham 

• Like 1

First observation:

On 07/06/2021 at 19:31, shanks522 said:

First observation, no track in it like the GWR Version, not bothered by this but thought it a bit odd.

So I suggest you bought the GWR version in the UK (might want to check the seating arrangement in coach 4!) and the LNER set from Japan. I believe it's only the roughly 10% of the total 800s produced that are coming to the UK; only these have track.

This why this thread is in the 'small suppliers' group! To (mis)quote Alphaville, Kato is BIG in Japan (but very very small, bordering on miniscule in the UK)!

Edited by BokStein

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BokStein said:

First observation:

So I suggest you bought the GWR version in the UK (might want to check the seating arrangement in coach 4!) and the LNER set from Japan. I believe it's only the roughly 10% of the total 800s produced that are coming to the UK; only these have track.

For those who have purchased the GWR version with the incorrect seats contact Gaugemaster. They will supply a replacement seating moulding free of charge. I contacted them yesterday about it and they had got back to me within 30 minutes to get it sorted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1