Kato/Peco Announce FR Locos in 009! (confirmed!)

Edge

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

Despite it's diminutive size it's considerably more expensive than the models Kato have made for the Japanese market.

Well the Japanese market is huge and British 009 is currently relatively small in comparison so therefore it’s not got the economies of scale. 

46 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

To me the door apertures look far too narrow.

The door is narrow in reality but looks wider due to the black surrounding on the red livery. As the Kato test shot isn’t painted it’s all red and looks narrower. 
https://images.app.goo.gl/xFZFH294bfA1Q6zp9

DEA3FBB6-E690-4E03-91E9-33CC2E80B6F1.jpeg.700ae1e3c0804958de04230cdd467b78.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

On 30/09/2021 at 06:57, PaulRhB said:

Well the Japanese market is huge and British 009 is currently relatively small in comparison so therefore it’s not got the economies of scale. 

The Japanese model rail market is probably the largest in the world, it is so big that you have two manufacturing giants with Kato and Tomix followed by two medium size players Greenmax and MicroAce, all of those companies come out with new releases and rereleases on a monthly basis there is so much demand. 

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, David Stannard said:

It will be interesting to see what the UK price listings are, Hobby Search have them listed at ¥15,300 which is about £101.

And mostly you are going to get £20 tax on top so it will be interesting. 

• Like 1

Speaking to the Peco rep last weekend during their event at Monk Bar Models, York, he said they were looking at around £150 which, if the mechanism is good, smooth and controllable isn't too bad. Though I am holding out a decision until I see the final product as there are a few things which don't look quite right at the moment.

Cheers

J

• Like 1

On 01/10/2021 at 07:26, PaulRhB said:

February release

1C450E9F-187D-4FC0-AA78-26AA141948B2.jpeg.7673f916b653e1318a23cfb0c7abaff9.jpeg

Might want to give it a few more months, this is the Japanese release date. I've had other stuff on pre-order from Japan with a release date of mid-August, it's now October and still hasn't arrived.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Bob2407 said:

Might want to give it a few more months, this is the Japanese release date. I've had other stuff on pre-order from Japan with a release date of mid-August, it's now October and still hasn't arrived.

The RhB stuff has been here within a couple of weeks of release in Japan, if they shift the dates as happened to several items this year due to Covid it appears on the release schedule here,

https://www.katomodels.com/schedule

So if you want to check items after the poster is released the release page is worth checking. 

1 hour ago, drt7uk said:

What do we think is going to happen re the Double Fairlies? I'm still really keen to have one!

They were due a year after the England locos so I assume they will fall into 2023 possibly now. 

• Like 1

In addition to the link above by PaulRhB to the Kato USA website Kato USA included in their announcement email sent out today.

Of possible interest to some is that at least Kato USA is selling the mechanism on its own for those who want to kitbash/3D print.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The part number is down the bottom of the link with the two locos :) 

68E1239D-87BB-4FFC-8953-41CA45E85D56.jpeg.30ecb2def111cc72a00ab079f114c5c0.jpeg

Is it right that two different locos have the same item number? That would seem to be a tad confusing, if you ask me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Budgie said:

Is it right that two different locos have the same item number? That would seem to be a tad confusing, if you ask me.

looks like Kato USA made an error ;)

The Japanese site has this,

12A14CB7-8DE7-4120-919E-72E331274821.jpeg.cccead4182e6b05b85c889f49c3ddc59.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2021 at 22:01, No Decorum said:

Looking even lovelier in the Peco Autumn Watch video from about 17.52.

The coaches in the video look as if they've got elliptical wheels. I would have thought Peco could find some better than that for a publicity film.

24 minutes ago, Budgie said:

The coaches in the video look as if they've got elliptical wheels. I would have thought Peco could find some better than that for a publicity film.

:D I didn’t like to say but you’re quite right. Perhaps Peco should buy lots more bags of Bachmann N scale metal wheels than I have done.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Budgie said:

I'd put that down to lurching over uneven trackwork, perhaps I should take another look? 

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I'd put that down to lurching over uneven trackwork, perhaps I should take another look? 

Only the first and third vehicles were limping, the middle one looked OK, so I'd say it's a wheel issue.

Not being into OO9, I'm a bit surprised to learn that Peco are still using plastic wheels in this day and age.

John

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Only the first and third vehicles were limping, the middle one looked OK, so I'd say it's a wheel issue.

Not being into OO9, I'm a bit surprised to learn that Peco are still using plastic wheels in this day and age.

John

Apparently, Peco is on the job and metal wheels of some sort are on the way. What they will turn out like, I don’t know; they might just be metal tyred plastic. As I hinted above, I have replaced all the plastic wheels on my Peco stock with Bachmann N scale all-metal wheels. It’s easier to do on some models than others. They run well but their small size doesn’t have the flywheel effect that metal wheels do in 00.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Indeed, having had a second gander it's definitely wobbly wheels.  The overhang on those coaches is always going to highlight such shortcomings.

Great video, though:ok: