Japan railway journal

railroadbill

On 28/04/2021 at 16:46, melmerby said:

Thanks for that, an interesting vehicle to look out for.

On 28/04/2021 at 16:58, Claude_Dreyfus said:

The M250 takes it to another level. In this case it operates the Sagawa parcels service between Tokyo and Osaka.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M250_series

I see from your wikipedia link that the M250 was awarded the Japan Railway Club Blue Ribbon award in 2005!

• RMweb Premium

We didn't get a JRJ this week.

I normally record the Thursday afternoon showing but nothing for the PVR to record this week, although there is what could be a new one next Thursday.

• RMweb Gold

I normally record on Sky something like 4:30am on a Friday.  It's a bit annoying that both broadcasts are so close together if one goes belly up for any reason - there's not a fallback position a few days later.

2 hours ago, sir douglas said:

that was suprisingly refreshing, Ryo got to talk a lot more, there was a natural feeling conversation between the 2, the whole show has got refresh, new intro and new model on the table. I like the new format and hope they are keeping it, longer indepth subject pieces

I've just watched the Moka railway steam preservation one (from the on demand web page).   Agree it was good to have Prof. Ryo  doing  a lot more of the presenting.  And the model railway is great with an appropriate train running round.

What intrigued me was the very short shovel they used. Ryo said it could be used one handed. Perhaps because it was a tank engine being fired?

Great stuff.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

We didn't get a JRJ this week.

I normally record the Thursday afternoon showing but nothing for the PVR to record this week, although there is what could be a new one next Thursday.

Didn't even show anything in the programme guide. A failed recording (e.g. in the guide but not transmitted) shows in the menu.

2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I normally record on Sky something like 4:30am on a Friday.  It's a bit annoying that both broadcasts are so close together if one goes belly up for any reason - there's not a fallback position a few days later.

You didn't get a recording?

2 hours ago, railroadbill said:

I've just watched the Moka railway steam preservation one (from the on demand web page).   Agree it was good to have Prof. Ryo  doing  a lot more of the presenting.  And the model railway is great with an appropriate train running round.

What intrigued me was the very short shovel they used. Ryo said it could be used one handed. Perhaps because it was a tank engine being fired?

Great stuff.

So there was a new episode?

I don't record mine from Sky so what system was it on?

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Didn't even show anything in the programme guide. A failed recording (e.g. in the guide but not transmitted) shows in the menu.

You didn't get a recording?

So there was a new episode?

I don't record mine from Sky so what system was it on?

I watched it (plus other episodes) here, it's a sort of catch up thing.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

I watched it (plus other episodes) here, it's a sort of catch up thing

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/

I have been exploring all avenues today.

The "Smart TV" function on the Panasonic Freeview + PVR can get into the NHK menu then hangs.:cry:

The Humax Freesat + PVR LAN connection has no firmware installed to use it, so you can't do anything with the 'Net even though it's recognised! :scratchhead:

My Desktop PC download the link to the program and is cued up to watch later :yes:(Success)

I did notice that the model railway is more elaborate than the previous version and Nathan Berry has gone ginger!:huh:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now managed to watch this new episode on PC.

Unlike TV channels in the UK, you don't need to sign up to anything to view the programmes and they are up for three years for anyone that wants to catch up.

(I've been watching since 2015 when I started a topic on it.)

Definitely better with Ryo taking the lead. I wonder how long that will last?

IMHO The new female presenter Cathy Cat came over as a bit of a bimbo with all the oohs and aahs each time Ryo explained something.

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

IMHO The new female presenter Cathy Cat came over as a bit of a bimbo with all the oohs and aahs each time Ryo explained something.

TBF I think shes quite a well known cosplay photographer or model in Japan - the program does need to keep its numbers up to survive and there was an issue during the pandemic of it having its budget totally scrapped... I suppose if this keeps the Japanese watching (they are seriously into this sort of thing - just visit Disneyland in CAlifornia the costumes they turn up in are from another world) then it makes sense the guests are sometimes a little bizarre.

The other issue is Japanese doesnt translate very well into English as its a very formal and polite language and they tend to phrase English in a similar way that they would respond in Japanese

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ighten said:

I suppose if this keeps the Japanese watching

I thought the target audience was the rest of the world, particularly those that speak or understand english. Which makes it a bit pointless at the moment as no one can actually go there and travel on their trains.

Or is there a japanese language version available on local tv?

No the target is international - I probably didnt express it correctly - the Japanese tend to still present and  target as if its a Japanese audience even when its International which means spme strange decisions do get taken..  The Australian presenter made sense as its a huge market both ways in tourism.

Having just watched the new episode on line, I find it a much more refreshing approach than previously.

Russell Totten was so into the concept, he had his own blazer badge. Nathan Berry seemed to be too much of 'this is my show and I'll do all the reports'!

Cathy Cat seems to be much more subservient (less arrogant, more respectful) of Ryo's astounding knowledge.

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

IMHO, I found that an enhancement as it actually gives the viewer the feeling that facts are being explained.

All I can say is Wow, great new, refreshing, approach!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/04/2021 at 14:05, railroadbill said:

Great stuff.

I haven't seen the episode yet (still on the Sky box waiting for a gap in the snooker!), but the Moka line uses C11 and C12 tank engines. I am assuming one of these were featured.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_C11

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_C12

• Like 1

i think its a good spin theyve taken with the sort of teacher and student roles between Ryo and Cathy, people who dont know much about railways but want to watch can get in on the student role alongside Cathy instead of it being more like a news program as before, here they can talk and learn. Presumably Cathy doesnt know much herself so it is better than trying to act as if she does know what she is talking about and instead let Ryo teach her

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Ighten said:

Yes the C12 from what I can remember was featured a lot

Think it was a C12 model that was running round the layout. Ace stuff!

One interesting point in the program was the preserved loco that ran up and down a short length of track powered by compressed air.

Edited by railroadbill

8 hours ago, Nile said:

I thought the target audience was the rest of the world, particularly those that speak or understand english. Which makes it a bit pointless at the moment as no one can actually go there and travel on their trains.

Or is there a japanese language version available on local tv?

Agree about tourist angle. NHK World TV's other programs promote various aspects of Japan that would appeal to tourists.

A lot of Japanese speak at least some English, it's a compulsory subject in schools.   (Also signage in trains/stations etc. is in English text as well as Japanese).

The episode on "new trains for 2020" is a goody as well imho.

Edited by railroadbill

Ryo: I'm very well thank you, and you?

Berry: I'm particularly well

I presume Berry has left the show for a major role in Acorn Antiques. 

Ooh, aah, what's that? It's Cathy Cat.

Ryo: So tell us Cathy, how much do you know about railways?

I love it.

• Like 1

I've just caught up with the new format and presenter , and surprisingly I actually thought it was very good. As others have said, Ryo seemed to have been promoted to the main presenter with Cathy commenting and asking questions where applicable.

The content of this particular episode seemed to be better as well.

Time will tell if it remains so long term, but certainly a promising start.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My box decided todays episode couldn't be recorded and re-scheduled it for the 2130 broadcast

I think it is another repeat as it's about a branch that closed 1st Apr 2019

EDIT It recorded it but it's one that was first broadcast April 2019

Edited by melmerby