Sóller Railway

NScaleNotes

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the link. Most interesting.

I would be worried that the new owners think it a cash cow and would put the prices up to pay for all the proposed improvements and the costs of the takeover and possibly kill the goose.

I was there in Feb 2018. I thought it was expensive enough then. Okay if I looked on it as a day out, but would think carefully about my budget before repeating. Having said that the trains were busy and people were being turned away because they were full.

• RMweb Gold

I know it's not a railway centric article, but, I quote.

"The town has been linked to the capital, Palma, with a picturesque narrow-gauge railway since 1912. The train, with its wooden carriages, has been in continuous use ever since, climbing 200 metres and passing through 13 tunnels on its 27km journey."

The article infers it is all one line with through services, ignoring the changeover from/to the tramway and train part way along the line.

Mike

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
Clarification.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:43, Enterprisingwestern said:

I know it's not a railway centric article, but, I quote.

"The town has been linked to the capital, Palma, with a picturesque narrow-gauge railway since 1912. The train, with its wooden carriages, has been in continuous use ever since, climbing 200 metres and passing through 13 tunnels on its 27km journey."

The article infers it is all one line with through services, ignoring the changeover from/to the tramway and train part way along the line.

Mike

I have a 1970s issue  of 'Modern Tramway' magazine that contained an in depth article on "Majorca, a 3'0" gauge island" and in which article it is mentioned that the the tramway was built as an extension of the F.C. de Soller as the combined length of both would then attract government grants.

Knowing Spain, I suspect there may be a grain of truth in that statement.

• Informative/Useful 1