Farish Class 319

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Wow, they seem to have got a wiggle on with that

They have, hopefully as sign that they are starting to really make progress on the backlog! 

Hopefully it will be on display at TINGS this weekend. 

Hope so too Grahame, popping up on Sunday. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE

It's certainly promising since the early CADs but there are a couple of obvious oddities on the front end at first glance. The handrails below the cab windows are represented by solid bars and appear to be mounted on plinths which ought be more flush, while the light cluster surrounds seem to overlap the horizontal panel lines which ought be within the lines and flush as well. Here's a couple of pics of mine for comparison:

703018248_319003.jpg.0c9d3b3b0454963dd7236d4f8c157b56.jpg

100_0382.JPG.6dcf1fb29781d180fd22b0c0474ed8e0.JPG

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the plinths match the size and shape panel the handrails are attached too. Since this is just the 1st EP hopefully it will be corrected, but I'll certainly mention it on Sunday. 

Tom.  

16 hours ago, grahame said:

It's certainly promising since the early CADs but there are a couple of obvious oddities on the front end at first glance. The handrails below the cab windows are represented by solid bars and appear to be mounted on plinths which ought be more flush, while the light cluster surrounds seem to overlap the horizontal panel lines which ought be within the lines and flush as well. Here's a couple of pics of mine for comparison:

703018248_319003.jpg.0c9d3b3b0454963dd7236d4f8c157b56.jpg

100_0382.JPG.6dcf1fb29781d180fd22b0c0474ed8e0.JPG

The picture above shows what's wrong with the EP, it should have a cab like the 465 on the left, also the EP seems to have windows and sliding doors rather than roller doors, :jester: :blink:

Joking aside, its looking very promising. 

Simon

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m not sure in this day and age, with the level of detail that is achievable, that garbled front end is good enough.... the rest of the model (from what I can see) is very nicely done.... why make a hash of the front end; after all, they’ve had how many years to get it right....???! I really want one [several] of these but I’m not sure I can live with that level of compromise/ inaccuracy (for £250). Very frustrating.

Here’s hoping they correct that.... otherwise this might be another model I skip.... I skipped the Dapol 142 cos it wasn’t ‘right’ (to me), so I know I have the resolve to not cave-in; even once it goes in the ‘bargain bin’.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JR_P said:

I’m not sure in this day and age, with the level of detail that is achievable, that garbled front end is good enough.... the rest of the model (from what I can see) is very nicely done.... why make a hash of the front end; after all, they’ve had how many years to get it right....???! I really want one [several] of these but I’m not sure I can live with that level of compromise/ inaccuracy (for £250). Very frustrating.

Here’s hoping they correct that.... otherwise this might be another model I skip.... I skipped the Dapol 142 cos it wasn’t ‘right’ (to me), so I know I have the resolve to not cave-in; even once it goes in the ‘bargain bin’.

This is the 1st EP and not representative of the final model. I’m sure Bachmann already have a long list of amendments to be made. If we get to painted samples stage and any errors are still there, that’s the time to start worrying! 

Tom.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TomE said:

This is the 1st EP and not representative of the final model.

I appreciate that its only the EP1 but it is worrying that it’s erroneous.... I don’t know just how much the tooling can be altered once metal has been cut....

I really want this to be right, because I really want a few of these :huh: !

Fingers crossed that it gets corrected!

• RMweb Premium

It may be just an illusion from the photography but does anyone else thing the saloon window corners are a bit too curvy?  Admittedly I haven't seen a 319 down this way for a while to be sure although rumour has it that may change in the not too distant future....

• RMweb Gold

They have corrected some of the issues in the CAD, the overly curved top edges of the doors for example. 

Having seen this in the flesh today I didn’t think the salon windows were that far out from the prototype. 

6A29D0D0-0FFA-4E1C-9EE6-DBCFE80E5535.jpeg.7fdd56d05dc58ab0939207b6b4f0a361.jpegD372F860-2DA5-41B6-9D3A-FEBF8921A333.jpeg.3d166346fb0e602374cd4d274587b0a4.jpeg73ACF598-0EAB-49F5-808D-1C4403B4CDAE.jpeg.a03d3494ef3357179c52e99d7d29c929.jpegD4A05781-876E-4DAE-BCB6-69D5B17D409C.jpeg.7345590775c4549514f88458fe8eb8dd.jpeg

And as a point of comparison, the first EP for the RevolutioN 321 was also on show:

6BDC3C6C-F102-450E-9850-156F1D2F1977.jpeg.4245a2419e5871d5afc3b9af0bbc44c7.jpeg

D6D1F349-B40E-474C-8F8F-1CCBB10FCFB0.jpeg.e4b920737d956c72ef7b3e00810c19bb.jpeg

Tom

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping Tom won't mind me using one of his photos as a comparison (if there's a problem I'll remove it). But looking at the face of the class 319 I get the impression that the curved squarish face outline groove is not accurate and effects the character and look of the model.

1078211079_class319face.jpg.722054f4ead78eb7e9a723eda1faab80.jpg

The top curved corners should more closely follow the roof and side - compare the red circles. And those curved corners look like they should be more rounded.

The vertical edges of the face should be closer to the side edge with the width between the cab window and groove being larger than the groove to the side edge - compare blue circles.

And the vertical grooves of the face should gently curve inward from about the bottom of the windows - the small panels between the handrail panels and the groove are not rectangular but a rhomboid with a sloping outer edge so are not vertical.

Plus, of course, the other issues mentioned earlier.

Edited by grahame

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Looking at that I would say that virtually every single line, groove and panel edge on the front is wrong.

Yeah, you’re not kidding - those helpful side-by-side images just aided me in spotting yet another error; the air dam is incorrect too.... the list just gets longer and longer.... I am absolutely mystified as to how all these errors get through QC.

is it lack of familiarity with the prototype or lack of attention to detail....?! Sad, very sad.

Seems I might save myself £250 (and multiples thereof)....

I would like to think that some of the issues raised relate purely to the EP being undecorated. The sequence and process of adding colour will change perception of the relationships between the various sections, as well as changing their actual size and shape on the model. The main problem for me is the size of the lighting nacelles. Hopefully the Bachmann experts with sort out what is needed.

• Agree 1

Who would make models eh? with all the limit of manufacturing tolerances, costs, reliability etc. Making anything in N must be a challenge. Poor manufactures are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. 

A few years ago my only option for mk3 EMUs was to scratch build and I am just not good enough to do that. Now to have two options coming rtr in N is a very exciting prospect and although the model is by no means totally perfect (I haven't seen a perfect one from anybody yet), I for one am still very excited and think the painted final model will be a brilliant addition to my layout. 

All the best

Dave

8 hours ago, JR_P said:

Yeah, you’re not kidding - those helpful side-by-side images just aided me in spotting yet another error; the air dam is incorrect too.... 

The class 319s have two types depending on build date/sub-class. Early ones have the flat metal plate obstacle deflector (as pictured right on the real unit) while some have a GRP moulded air dam (as on the model). Farish have said they will include differences depending on the identities.