Hornby 8f Tender short

down the sdjr

Guest Mancunian

A short is a short is a short!   Have you got a continuity tester..?   Check for continuity/connection between left hand side loco' wheels and left-hand side wheels of the tender and then check the right-hand side.   You should get a clean connection signal from left to left and right to right hand sets of wheels.   If you get a signal connect between left-hand side of the loco' wheels and the right-hand side wheels of the tender then the wires are crossed.    If there is still a fault, assuming left and right loco' wheels and the respective wheels of the tender are fine, then check for damaged wire(s) and connections.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I read these posts with interest because I had what appeared to be exactly the same problem on a Hornby 8F.  In fact, it wasn’t the same.

The fault was clearly on the tender.  The wheels were not shorting to the axles, so I completely dismantled the tender, removing the brake gear, wheelsets, body, and weight.

Refitting the wheelsets to the tender frames and placing on the track produced conspicuous flashes from the axles, and close inspection showed that the ‘floating’ portion of the pickups was able to contact the axles.  Tamiya 1/4-inch masking tape wrapped around the inner part of the tender frames secured them easily and on reassembly there were no short circuits.  Make sure that the tape does not rub on the wheels, and if the tape has covered the holes for the brake-gear retaining screws simply poke a fine screwdriver through to restore the hole.

Adjustment of the pickups ensured current could still be collected from the tender wheelsets, but I agree that they are a definite load-limiting brake.

• Like 1

I posted a while back that I disconnected the wires for the tender pickups, the loco has been running fine ever since just using the loco ones.

I would like to add that the Hornby 8F is now one of my favorite locos, it runs an absolute dream, even through my clunky hand made points, a real jem.

• 3 weeks later...