Viaduct building

so Hi , I an thinking of building a garden railway later on, I build in 5 inch gauge at the moment, but it is getting heavier, Any way as wife likes gardening   the railway has to blend in with it, And not sat on the ground as my back is not good, so a Viaduct it is, But I have no idea where to start, So can anyone point me in the right direction to a book or any info at all on how to build one, Or even some really good photos may be of help.  Thanks Garry

Edited by mswjr

I know of an O gauge garden modeller who constructed a large concrete viaduct using home made moulds.

His construction was featured in a 1970s Railway Modeller.

I don't know whether his method would transfer successfully up to 5" gauge, but I do have the magazine if you want to know more.

• Like 1

Hi Nick, It will be for a garden railway in 16mm scale, I build in 5 inch gauge at the moment but just thinking ahead as this scale is getting hard work, I have not put all the information above, sorry, So yes gauge 1 size is just the job, I will try and track that mag, as I said any info will help me along the way.

• 6 months later...

Only just noticed this post.

There is a downloadable (PDF) article on building a stone viaduct available on the Gauge 3 website ( gauge3.org.uk ) that might be useful. It's from the Society's Newsletter from June 2007 but still current. There are about fifty articles available on the 'Downloads' page ( which is not restricted just to G3S members BTW ) and Adrian's article is No 35!

Regards,

IanT

PS Just noticed I can drag a copy here as a PDF!  ;-)

035_-_The_Stone_Viaduct_on_the_Knockwood_Line_-_Adrian_Booth_-_June_2007.pdf

• Thanks 1