Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile on the N Gauge Forum, someone is saying this ties in with an announcement they're totally withdrawing from N. Intriguing!

If they keep announcing reasonably priced O gauge models I may end up succumbing! 58 seems plausible given the HAA/HEA, and Heljan doing the 56/60. HST and mk3s would be pretty awesome, but so few people would be able to run anything approaching a reasonable train I just can't see it.

Edit: no idea why my clicky link isn't behaving!   Fixed!

Edited by njee20
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Must admit O Gauge has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years . Was looking at an O Gauge Diesel layout at Ayr a few weeks ago and the models just had presence that you don't really get in OO. They looked heavy . No idea how much they actually weigh . No idea whats coming except as its at MIGO  its got to be a diesel of some kind . Would people buy an HST in O Gauge ?  Anybody got space to run one ?  Sadly that's why I really cant consider it

Edited by Legend

17 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Meanwhile on the N Gauge Forum, someone is saying this ties in with an announcement they're totally withdrawing from N. Intriguing!

If they keep announcing reasonably priced O gauge models I may end up succumbing! 58 seems plausible given the HAA/HEA, and Heljan doing the 56/60. HST and mk3s would be pretty awesome, but so few people would be able to run anything approaching a reasonable train I just can't see it.

Is that DJ under a new pseudonym?

Stirring the pot it looks like but with Sonic on the horizon we could be looking at a changing of the guard perhaps in N.

Until Dapol say something though it is just a vicious looking rumour.

• Agree 3

21 minutes ago, njee20 said:

I doubt they'll pull out of the N gauge market completely, but let's wait and see.

• RMweb Premium

That'd be interesting, bit of a dearth of stock for them to haul, and the "modern" O gauge stuff has generally centred on 90s era stuff. Maybe some Megafrets at the same time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Al said:

NGF comments have rapidly been debunked by someone phoning Dapol and being told that withdrawal from N Gauge market is absolutely untrue rumour. Thread there is now locked.

Cheers,
Alan

As Alan says totally unsubstantiated rubbish was unfortunately posted on the N gauge forum.

I have deleted the post thread and tracked the user to a vpn line so someone deliberately trying to stir trouble for Dapol unfortunately .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Only-Me said:

so someone deliberately trying to stir trouble for Dapol

Probably the same pillock who periodically turns up here, no doubt he'll show up again with his 'insider knowledge'.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Surely it would have to something more than the announcement of a single loco to justify the title of a ‘Massive’ announcement. For example Darstaed’s Black 5 was only a ‘Big’ announcement so it has to be more significant than that!

Not sure about it being a HST though as I think that is more of a ‘Humongous’ announcement!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I would have thought a Class 22 would be a money spinner for them.

9 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I would have thought a Class 22 would be a money spinner for them.

I would like to see a Class 22 as a continuation of the Little Loco Co project,  the play  on  the word "massive"  in the pre-announcement,  I doubt if that would apply to such  a humble type 2  diesel

Edited by Pandora
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Pandora said:

I would like to see a Class 22 as a continuation of the Little Loco Co project,  the play  on  the word "massive"  in the pre-announcement,  I doubt if that would apply to such  a humble type 2  diesel

It would be a massive announcement if it saved the crowdfunders their money. 

Too much to hope for though, probably. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Must admit O Gauge has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years . Was looking at an O Gauge Diesel layout at Ayr a few weeks ago and the models just had presence that you don't really get in OO. They looked heavy . No idea how much they actually way 

I handled the new Darstaed suburbans earlier this week. Heavy beasts and they reek of quality. Absolutely delightful. My order has gone in.

The other big advantage is that a train of two or three suburbans doesn’t look mad behind a loco. More modern stock generally needs longer rakes, and longer carriages — and even a 2+4 HST is a very lengthy beast.

I’m fascinated to see what Dapol announce. 

Paul

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brossard said:

It was Dapol's fault that I switchd to 0 gauge in the first place.  I haven't looked back.  00 stuff looks so twee to me now.  Dapol's 0 products are extremely good value IMO.

John

They certainly helped smash the long-held (& I think, long promoted, by those who wanted the scale to remain exclusive) myth that "If it's O Scale it MUST be expensive"!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3