Dapol announce O Gauge Class 66

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Ho-ray an announcement of an announcement .........................fat bald bloke runs around the room cheering..........Mrs M pipes up "it is for O gauge, what ever that is, and I thought you modelled two Os" ...................." Oh (not an RMweb word) " ........fat bald bloke returns to his computer desk cussing.

What ever it is, it will be massive, well if you are a n gauge modeller it will be. Not so if you are a gauge 1 modeller as it will look tiny.

I use to like it when Graham Farish use to place adverts in the Modeller and Constructor for their new model the same month it went into the shops. I like surprises, not these long build ups where we wait 12 years and it still ain't right.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

My Heljan 37 weighed in at just over 2kg.

Scaled up, that would be 2 * (43*43*43) / 1000 = 159 tonnes.

interesting . I’ve just cut the carbs and lost 10 class37s since May

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Not that I know of.

So it requires tooling up 4 models to create a proper HST: Power car, TGS, Buffet & TF/TS.

As mentioned earlier, 7mm does not lend itself to large layouts very well. I don't remember seeing a layout at Guildex on which an HST would fit.

And of course it depends exactly which HST you do, as there are loads of variations in catering vehicles, and different power cars, and some have a TSD too, with the disabled toilet. I can’t see it happening. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, LBRJ said:

A 7mm sale HST is the best part of sixteen feet long!

A D63xx is a mere 14 inches.

Not saying it would be either of the above, but at least the 22 would fit in the average garage ;)

A 73 would be ever so slightly longer....

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Boiler EB wagon set?

Ticks the 'massive' box. In 7mm it'd be a tad under 1m for the full 290t set. 

:P

And that is without a load suspended between the half sets.....just right for our mate DT and his Tudwick Road layout? :dontknow:

• Funny 2

36 minutes ago, seeseerider said:

My instinct tells me it’s the 66, but I wish it was the 90. 66 is a step too far modern for me, I wouldn’t even buy one.

I said the same thing about the terrier . .   . . . . and then the jinty.  Both are way to big for my OO wagons . . .. but yeah, I got one of each anyways .  . . .  what is Dapol gonna make me buy next?   This time I'm gonna stay strong  .   . .  yeah right!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The HST Mk3 trailer variations are minor: TSO and FO body shells identical, TRBF restaurant/buffet body can be produced by modified foils on 3 Windows, plus roof and undergear variations.   Not all sets have a TGS but window foil variation could reproduce this. No big deal.

21 minutes ago, Dava said:

The HST Mk3 trailer variations are minor: TSO and FO body shells identical, TRBF restaurant/buffet body can be produced by modified foils on 3 Windows, plus roof and undergear variations.   Not all sets have a TGS but window foil variation could reproduce this. No big deal.

We now have the plug door MK3's too (not just HST trailers), so a different tool for them, or different slides

On 05/10/2019 at 12:58, Clive Mortimore said:

I use to like it when Graham Farish use to place adverts in the Modeller and Constructor for their new model the same month it went into the shops. I like surprises, not these long build ups where we wait 12 years and it still ain't right.

Yeah, "but".... years ago when a model was released, it could usually be relied upon to be available for some years to come afterwards, giving you time to save up, and/or see one for real at your local model shop before committing to buying one.

These days with short production runs, that degree of 'certainty' has all but disappeared, leaving the options of pre-ordering sight un-seen (which I did for the Dapol 08 & regretted it), crowdfunding (which I did for the Little Loco Co Class 22 - & regretted it) or potentially missing the boat (or more accurately, missing the train) if you wait until it briefly hits the shelves before deciding to buy, as it may well sell out before getting anywhere near a model shop shelf (no regrets there for me - yet!!)

At least announcements some time in advance give one the option of saving up in time - and then saving that money for something else when (more than 'if', depending on Manufacturer) the eventual model has glaring errors on it... :rolleyes: :mosking:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Pandora said:

I believe that they have bought Little Loco Co and the "Massive" Announcement is to be the LLC Ruston 48DS

Good news, this company was doing great work.  The Cl 15 is an excellent model.  A shame that they had to stop.  I'm inspired by Scalescenes new boxgile layout kit and have a notion to do that in 0 gauge.  The Ruston would be useful for that.

John