'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If they had passengers in them, yes.  Except the few carriages with only non-smoking compartments.  😁

In the pre-Great War heyday of such carriages, the reverse was the case. The default rule - bylaw - was no smoking on railway premises, with just a few compartments set aside for smoking, often with leather rather than cloth upholstery.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Lacathedrale said:

I'm so sorry :( Can you please give me the executive summary or direct me to roughly where it was discussed in the ~140 pages? :)

The discussions is dispersed - it kept resurfacing and, to a mere Midland enthusiast* became tedious. The search function may help. I'm not really qualified to give an executive summary - perhaps someone better qualified can be so kind as to do so - but as far as I recall the conclusion is that both colours are correct but no one carriage wore them both at once. 

*They know what colour their favoured company's carriages were, unlike, it almost came to seem, the disciples of any other line.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I'm so sorry :( Can you please give me the executive summary or direct me to roughly where it was discussed in the ~140 pages? :)

As a SE&CR enthusiast (grew up in Ashford) I summarise as follows:

Nobody is 100% sure the exact shade of red the SE&CR used on its 4 wheel coaches, and in the preservation era two heritage railways (K&ESR and Bluebell) have taken educated guesses based on their investigations of coach bodies that after being stripped back revealed traces of the original SE&CR paint / lining. The Bluebell's shade is darker whereas the K&ESR's is a bit brighter. On this forum the majority opinion tended toward the Bluebell interpretation whereas I understand Hattons have gone for the K&ESR interpretation. 

I am not intending to reopen this old argument as I have already had my say, merely trying to help a forum member.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 11/05/2022 at 22:58, eldomtom2 said:

People say this but it's complete *******s - they have in no way replaced the old four-wheelers, as is blatantly obvious if you visit Hornby's website.

But that's the Railroad range which is separate from the main range.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/gwr-four-wheel-coach-era-3-r4673

Notice none in the main range. So not talking "complete *******s".

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/train-sets-rolling-stock/coaches-coach-packs?encoded=ZZBBCsIwEEVPYzdFaC0WXAQXvUBXbqSEaTK2oTEJkwTs7Y1Va8Hd8D7z_jBnDWZoIYxstGT6eR-n7KZ0QPJXR1ZGEbgjtCSROrZGd2USVgI7VvwgPL7wUB832EgIlmb-Jryfu9UtIOCQso41FsSIPt8d6nyZ8xbE5DMHA3IlWVWe_i7zsd8YwuyQg9aZtxRSCyszQpFO99yl2peIVcUiTJEyLoYL6IjNmH6Akn3Wng

And yes I do realise that was a month ago. But I only dip in this thread to see what is going on.   😬

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The discussions is dispersed - it kept resurfacing and, to a mere Midland enthusiast* became tedious. The search function may help. I'm not really qualified to give an executive summary - perhaps someone better qualified can be so kind as to do so - but as far as I recall the conclusion is that both colours are correct but no one carriage wore them both at once. 

*They know what colour their favoured company's carriages were, unlike, it almost came to seem, the disciples of any other line.

The correct LNWR carriage colours are known and well documented. The rebuild of the six wheel Picnic Saloon at the Buckingham Railway Centre gave the opportunity to strip back the later paint to the LNWR original, which showed that  PPP model paints are accurate. Unfortunately both Hornby and Hattons  have opted for an inappropriate rendering of the "Carriage Lake". That begs the question of where they got the information from and whether their other liveries are similarly inaccurate.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

But that's the Railroad range which is separate from the main range.

In Hornby Marketing's mind it is, but both ranges are sold by the same dealer, where they sit cheek by jowl on the shelf and in the display. Railroad means cheaper and maybe less detailed. But it is still a core Hornby product. The average customer isn't buying a marketing tag, just a product he/she likes and can afford, made by familiar Hornby. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

That begs the question of where they got the information from and whether their other liveries are similarly inaccurate.

I can vouch for the accuracy of Hattons' Midland livery. It wasn't particularly LNWR livery I had in mind when making my comment; I agree about the Hornby interpretation of LNWR lake.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In Hornby Marketing's mind it is, but both ranges are sold by the same dealer, where they sit cheek by jowl on the shelf and in the display. Railroad means cheaper and maybe less detailed. But it is still a core Hornby product. The average customer isn't buying a marketing tag, just a product he/she likes and can afford, made by familiar Hornby. 

Yes, the Hornby Generic coaches and the old four-wheelers are aimed at different markets. The old four-wheelers are and always have been aimed at the "train set"/"train set expansion" market whilst the generic coaches are aimed at the more mature market. I see no reason for Hornby to drop the former just beacuse the latter have arrived.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, friscopete said:

Wasnt there a song lyric  " newly weds whilst in this carriage please dont consumate their marriage "? that would make an interesting sound decoder .I am sure a Noch set could be modified .

Don't come a-knockin' if the carriage is a-rockin'.😀

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• 1 month later...
On 16/06/2022 at 17:43, friscopete said:

Wasnt there a song lyric  " newly weds whilst in this carriage please dont consumate their marriage "? that would make an interesting sound decoder .I am sure a Noch set could be modified .

I remember singing, to the tune of 'Men of Harlech',

" Please refrain from urination whilst the train is in the station" as a parody of the notices seen in the coach toilets!

Happy days with simple pleasures...

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

‘At stations, passengers, refrain

from flushing toilets on the train

’cos workmen working underneath

are apt to get it in the teeth’. 

Also, cast iron gent’s on Preston station I came across in 1968 chasing steam, lovely ornate Victorian LNWR edifice, cast iron notice; ‘Gentlemen Please Adjust Your Dress Before Leaving’.  Wonderful archaic language, and it begged modern questions.  Does the wearing of a properly adjusted dress define a gentleman?  It certainly defined a type of gentleman, but I associated that sort of thing more with Manchester and That London in those days.  Are frocks and skirts acceptable?  What about high heels?  

In the same way, but on the train, was the defining attribute of a gentleman ‘one who lifts the seat’?

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Also, cast iron gent’s on Preston station I came across in 1968 chasing steam, lovely ornate Victorian LNWR edifice, cast iron notice; ‘Gentlemen Please Adjust Your Dress Before Leaving’.

Those Victorian cast iron open to the sky street urinals always had that notice.

Those in Brum also had a notice about VD (Wonder Why?🙂)

• Like 3

On 27/07/2022 at 10:14, The Johnster said:

‘At stations, passengers, refrain

from flushing toilets on the train

’cos workmen working underneath

are apt to get it in the teeth’. 

Also, cast iron gent’s on Preston station I came across in 1968 chasing steam, lovely ornate Victorian LNWR edifice, cast iron notice; ‘Gentlemen Please Adjust Your Dress Before Leaving’.  Wonderful archaic language, and it begged modern questions.  Does the wearing of a properly adjusted dress define a gentleman?  It certainly defined a type of gentleman, but I associated that sort of thing more with Manchester and That London in those days.  Are frocks and skirts acceptable?  What about high heels?  

In the same way, but on the train, was the defining attribute of a gentleman ‘one who lifts the seat’?

One definition of a gentleman I came across many years ago and have always tried to live by:  "A Gentleman is one who, when undressing in the presence of a Lady, never leaves his socks until last".

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

One definition of a gentleman I came across many years ago and have always tried to live by:  "A Gentleman is one who, when undressing in the presence of a Lady, never leaves his socks until last".

Oh dear, that's my claim to gentility busted.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a gentleman and have no right to claim to be.  Gentleman, as a rank in medieval society, meant a man not otherwise part of the nobility nor a peasant or villein, but a freeman in posession of property.  I rent, and am thus an ordinary freeman.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 27/07/2022 at 18:44, The Johnster said:

‘Gentlemen Please Adjust Your Dress Before Leaving’.

The Gents in the magnificent Adelaide (South Australia) railway station had a huge mirror by the exit with that wording on it.  There seems to be no photos though!

• Like 3

"The Metropolitan" Wetherspoons pub at Baker Street used to have a mirror behind the urinals. Most disconcerting. I am pleased they have replaced the mirror with a blank wall.  The railway connection is evident inside the pub with coats of arms on the walls from the days when it was a Metropolitan railway dining room.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little curious and apprehensive.  I recently had an issue where two items in my trunk were unable to be located and this delayed the shipment of this order.  My order was still showing as "open" and so I questioned as to when the order would be shipped.   I had a response that the order had been shipped and that I only had one open order on the books and that was for a few Genesis coaches in Southern livery  (due November 2022).

This had me wondering as there were numerous pre-orders in for around twenty Genesis coaches in GWR livery.  A check of my pre-orders shows that all the GWR livery Genesis coaches are sold out on pre-order.  Now if I only have one "open" pre-order on the books does that indicate that all my pre-orders for the GWR Genesis coaches have been cancelled?