Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

7 hours ago, friscopete said:

Bloody fabulous .Have ordered the SECR version .One of my favorite  locos ever .Will probably end up as a shelf fairy as my chances of ever making a British layout in 00 receded every day  so after a quick run on my SP layout it will be mothballed in my display case..

In my very umble opinion though, your phrase 'mothballed in the display case' is as good a reason as any as to why "train set" curves should be dropped from most model railway requirements. So many locos will end up not actually being run so why bother with anything less than say, 22" radius?

My reasons for NOT modelling British outline pre-group are evaporating rapidly!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

In my very umble opinion though, your phrase 'mothballed in the display case' is as good a reason as any as to why "train set" curves should be dropped from most model railway requirements. So many locos will end up not actually being run so why bother with anything less than say, 22" radius?

... or, indeed, 16.5 mm gauge? ;)

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Surely its about time that building models of this calibre should not be dominated by the need to go round trainset points and curves.....

Keith

Agree. But I can't see it happening. A big part of the market is "collectors" who are quite happy to run on a trainset test circuit.

3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Surely, the prototype locomotive would suffer much the same problem. The issue for the model  is about how you fix and spring the pony so that is takes its fair share of the weight.

Equalising beams between the front bogie pivot and the lead axle will ensure all 4 axles wheelsets are in direct contact more of the time.

Mark

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I like the way Graham's blog ends "….and Rails of Sheffield have beaten a number of interested parties to the market."

There have been rumours of Hornby doing a D and/or E class for 2020. Maybe in January we will see yet another Rails/Hornby duplication conflict on a pre-grouping loco. The pedigree D vs the not so pedigree D....

I do not like that attitude of the pedigree vs the non-pedigree you do not make your own light shine brighter by putting out someone else’s flame

• Agree 3

Intrigued, not by this model (Southern locos are not my thing) but by the fact that it appears Hatton's "Genesis" announcement appears to have released a feline escapee from a bag, which gives me hope that their other strange formation led by a proper black painted loco, the LNWR Precedent, may also be another feline escapologist.  I can but hope. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Intrigued, not by this model (Southern locos are not my thing) but by the fact that it appears Hatton's "Genesis" announcement appears to have released a feline escapee from a bag, which gives me hope that their other strange formation led by a proper black painted loco, the LNWR Precedent, may also be another feline escapologist.  I can but hope. 

Clearly method in their madness of a generic coach.

Perhaps also the omission of LBSCR coaches is another feline - would this be more a Shroedingers Coach though

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well I don't think anyone's actually criticised this fantastic announcement yet - but FROM WHAT WE'VE BEEN SHOWN SO FAR - it looks like they've fallen into the same trap as Wills / Finecast did all those years ago and overlooked the extra dampers ( or whatever ) fitted to the tender spring hangers : I think these were fitted from new to the E class, certainly to the L class and retro-fitted to all other Wainwright tenders. before grouping. ( and I'm sure they'll straighten the front vac pipe if someone mentions it ! )

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Surely its about time that building models of this calibre should not be dominated by the need to go round trainset points and curves.....

Even those who do their best to avoid such issues on the scenic portion of a layout may need to resort to them in fiddle yards and other non-scenic portions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Well I don't think anyone's actually criticised this fantastic announcement yet - but FROM WHAT WE'VE BEEN SHOWN SO FAR - it looks like they've fallen into the same trap as Wills / Finecast did all those years ago and overlooked the extra dampers ( or whatever ) fitted to the tender spring hangers : I think these were fitted from new to the E class, certainly to the L class and retro-fitted to all other Wainwright tenders. before grouping. ( and I'm sure they'll straighten the front vac pipe if someone mentions it ! )

There's always some sourpuss wants to spoil the party - get a life...

Edited by Hugebits
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Do you want your models accurate or not ? ............. THIS is the time to point out possible problems - not when they go into production : look how the Hattons 'Genesis' coaches have evolved with a little input from RMwebbers.

As I say a fantastic announcement ................. get a life yerself !

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

THIS is the time to point out possible problems - not when they go into production : look how the Hattons 'Genesis' coaches have evolved with a little input from RMwebbers.

Not to  mention Rails' own Terrier! Rails have shown a commendable degree of uptake on suggestions/criticism.

Edited by truffy
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I agree - this is Bl00dy fabulous!

My reasons for NOT modelling British outline pre-group are evaporating rapidly!

Cheers,

John.

I remember when collectors keep everything in boxes and never ran them, but today there is a lot of items coming out every year to collect and most will run them - even if only occasionally, but when they do, it will probably be with a train too. Collectors in the 90s sense are probably rare now.

In any case it has already been stated that this prototype poses no issues for doing a model to run on 2nd radius curves (unlike the Stirling single where the splashers have to be left off). What will be a challenge is keeping weight over the drivers, though that should be easier than the H class or M7.

I love the SECR and even my best SECR layout plans call for tight curves in off scene areas. An end to end plank with scale curves, will never allow a D class to have a proper run with a decent train.

The choice of colours means I can run full Wainwright livery with Hattons Generic wheelers for a 1910 scene. Or grey (there exists the N class, C class and P class in grey too) to go with Bachmann Birdcages for a 1920 scene. Then glossy SECR green for a BR late 50s scene. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1