Grounded Vans

In RMweb3 there was a topic with the above title. The last post in the topic prior to the change-over was a Horsebox of (as yet) unidentified origin. First thoughts were that it was a GWR van, but that was discounted on two points, GWR Horse boxes didn't have a tumble-home side, and had a small extra panel at the end beyond the groom's doorway and window, compared with the photos below:- (taken on a rare day with clear sky and blazing sunshine)

post-136-12565762442716_thumb.jpg

post-136-12565762880209_thumb.jpg

I'm told that "it was there when we bought the house 25 years ago". Any views on it's origin? I have not yet found a picture of a LMS Horse Box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My first thoughts are that is it a pre grouping design. It is si milar to several pre grouping horse boxes that I've got models of but I can't be sure without some research. Do you have any idea how long it is.

Jamie

• Like 1

Jamie, Looks like it's a LMS Horse box, it's very similar to the recorded H/Bs listed by Adam.

It is approx 22ft long (+ / - 2" )

Adam. Thanks for the identification and for the link, another item for my ever expanding "favourites" file! I'll contact VCT to see if they are interested in doing a survey, as I don't feel competent enough to complete their survey form. I could see no vestiges of paint on the body, although the outside handles, bolts and grabrails all seemed to be present.

Edit @ 2020... I also asked the Midland Railway Society if they could help identify this vehicle, and today got the following...

(quote/)

from Peter Witts, the Midland Railway Society's Information Officer...

I now have had more time to look at these pics and can now say it is not a D400 but the LMS design that closely followed the design of the Midland vehicles except that those built from 1929-1938 had horizontal panelled sides that would be the case for this vehicle.

All these horse boxes were built at Derby.

Regards

Peter (end quote/)

Edited by DonB

• 2 weeks later...

I have now found the drawing of the LMS Horse Box in Nov.1976 Model Railways, "source:- official drawings Nos.6291 & 6525 for Diagram 1956",and "with modifications based on photographs"

The grounded body matches this drawing.

The drawing is within an article by Don Rowland detailing his three 4mm model variations, (I assume 16.5mm gauge, although not stated in the article).

An interesting feature of the prototype was modification to the standard brake gear to avoid fouling the drop-door stops.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you shall find that the horsebox mentioned at the top is the same as the 1960's/1970's Tri-ang model, not to be confused with the wrenn version, but the tri - ang version was based on the LMS design and was numbered B547 on the model. hope this helps

Best regards,

Wot!!! Plastic with a big hole in ther floorwacko.gif

Seriously, I think we have been round this paticular lump before on the old site. The Tri-ang one was based on a GWR example with flat sides and tumblehome ends, not the other way round as pictured.

The Wrenn HB was initially a Hornby Dublo Product based on a BR prototype.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted this one in a field near Longcliffe (C&HPR):

post-7238-12634691974452_thumb.jpg

post-7238-12634692136096_thumb.jpg

Don't remember seeing it before. It looks like a BR Standard van except for the cross bracing on the ends which could suggest GWR but it appears to have been recently re-clad with plywood retaining all the original ironwork.

Richard

Spotted this one in a field near Longcliffe (C&HPR):

post-7238-12634691974452_thumb.jpg

post-7238-12634692136096_thumb.jpg

Don't remember seeing it before. It looks like a BR Standard van except for the cross bracing on the ends which could suggest GWR but it appears to have been recently re-clad with plywood retaining all the original ironwork.

Richard

That would be a typical Great Western rebuild, retaining little beyond the number from the original....When was the photo taken- we've got more snow down here than that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

went for a walk at lower largo the other day. parked up in the car park at station park, which was the actual location of the station, then followed the trackbed path eastwards.

just outside of largo i noticed what i thought was a grounded van - but looking through the topic at the old site:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40339&hilit=grounded+vans&start=25

Young Fido has a similar one in his 2nd. pic and he identifies it as a container.

my one has similar end and side, but in the last photo, it seems the other end has a corrugated panel - presumably these had doors at both ends?

if it is a container, i take it it's one of the detatchable containers from the '60s?

taken at the limit of my coolpix's digital zoom, from the old trackbed. the van is on private property and didn't want to bother the ownwers

post-1060-12724818554_thumb.jpg

post-1060-127248187684_thumb.jpg

post-1060-127248189539_thumb.jpg

Photographed this Midland Railway 10T van at Matlock Bath this morning.

post-7238-12651243592715_thumb.jpg

post-7238-12651243705483_thumb.jpg

Best (only!) shots I could get through the fence.

Richard

Is it a 10T or an 8T? We have a similar body at Foxfield of an 8T Midland van

http://homepage.ntlw...d/mr8tonvan.htm

A few other grounded bodies at Foxfield also, if anyone fancies some 12" : 1ft modelling we are always looking for people willing to take on a good project!

Is it a 10T or an 8T? We have a similar body at Foxfield of an 8T Midland van

I was assuming the van at Matlock Bath was a 10T job based on my experience of Slater's kits and a (probably insufficient) knowledge of the 'Midland Wagons' books. If there were 8T vans to a similar body style then I don't know. Sorry.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Took me a while to find this thread again! I missed the posts since February.

Out today I passed a little enclave of vans about 6 miles from the centre of Derby, which I have been intending to capture for a while.

First a shot though a field gate at the max. zoom on my 4 megapixel Olympus, cropped to just the 3 vans.

I was bold enough to venture into the (very mucky!) farm yard and ask permission to photograph ..."Yes, with pleasure" !!! There were 2 more vans hidden in the yard!

I was told that they were bought about 1948/50 "when the railways were getting rid"

Any hopes of identification??

Vans 1 (almost hidden),2, and 3 from left to right..

post-136-127782145113_thumb.jpg

With permission, squeezed through to get van 1 from the farm side (in use as a loose box with resident calves)

post-136-127782166594_thumb.jpg

post-136-127782170671_thumb.jpg

Van 2 from the farm side Could not get nearer due to boggy ground. (Van 3 also unapproachable.)

post-136-127782178036_thumb.jpg

In the yard, Van 4 in use as a garage

post-136-127782186786_thumb.jpg

post-136-127782190088_thumb.jpg

In the yard, Van 5 used as a loose box with calves resident.

post-136-127782193002_thumb.jpg

post-136-127782196774_thumb.jpg

(Edit) vans 3 and 5 appear similar, with slatted sides, are they vans intended for the brewery trade?

Edited by DonB

My go at identifying some of them:

Van 1 could be LSWR? Certainly they used the X shaped bracing each side of the door.

Van 2 is GWR judging by the twin end vent hoods.

Van 5 has sides like an LMS Diagram 1817 beer van, but these had slatted ends (at least when built). I suspect the vertical end planking is a replacement job. Good find!

...and here is three from a field in the shadow of Ratcliffe power station, near East Midlands Parkway station

2010-06-20448a.jpg

That looks like the more successful type of BR pallet van, possible the pallet shocvan with the sliding door rather than the one more familiar from the main batch and Parkside kit (1/211).