What's on your 3mm workbench

When I stripped the black Duchess I certainly did not expect to find it like this. It is a superb bit of modelling and nice thick material, not tissue paper stuff. I don't know if it was a kit but even the smokebox door, hinges, footplate details, dome and chimney are all brass.

Whoever made it did a brilliant job apart from a 00 3-link coupling on the front.

Seems a shame to paint it now.

IMG_20220526_100248.jpg

IMG_20220526_100159.jpg

IMG_20220526_100223.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

5 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

When I stripped the black Duchess I certainly did not expect to find it like this. It is a superb bit of modelling and nice thick material, not tissue paper stuff. I don't know if it was a kit but even the smokebox door, hinges, footplate details, dome and chimney are all brass.

Whoever made it did a brilliant job apart from a 00 3-link coupling on the front.

Seems a shame to paint it now.

IMG_20220526_100248.jpg

IMG_20220526_100159.jpg

IMG_20220526_100223.jpg

To be fair rather have a 00 3link than a triang tension lock...what was underframe and wheels like? Where was find? Any more?

Dam fine modeling

Edited by bradfordbuffer

On 25/05/2022 at 13:03, Michael Edge said:

Yes, that's Larry's signature - no doubt removed by Lawrence. He had form for this sort of thing, my works plates were often removed and his own substituted on locos I built.

Oh dear, that is not good and it spoils the opinion people (certainly me) of what he was like. It is quite disappointing to know someone as talented will do that sort of thing.

3 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

Oh dear, that is not good and it spoils the opinion people (certainly me) of what he was like. It is quite disappointing to know someone as talented will do that sort of thing.

Poor form ....didn't even put a splodge of black paint then his new signature.....what's it all about...? Don't know any of the mentioned modelers but sound like some bad blood somewhere or plagiarism! 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

Mike Edge,

Here is the B17 you built for me a couple of years ago, I don't know if I sent you a photo of her painted.   A lovely little model but I still need to put some weight in the boiler.

Garry

FB_IMG_1653719742887.jpg

Excellent model. Just a small query; would the nameplates be blue and yellow as they were Leeds' colours at the time?

17 minutes ago, 90164 said:

Excellent model. Just a small query; would the nameplates be blue and yellow as they were Leeds' colours at the time?

I have a feeling they were striped at one time and I did see an original over the main entrance in the 60's and 70's but cannot remember what was on it. For the model it was too small for me to attempt to stripe it so went for all white as that was the colour when I used to watch them.

On 28/05/2022 at 19:27, Golden Fleece 30 said:

I have a feeling they were striped at one time and I did see an original over the main entrance in the 60's and 70's but cannot remember what was on it. For the model it was too small for me to attempt to stripe it so went for all white as that was the colour when I used to watch them.

Fair point. Only a football kit obsessive like me would notice!

Regards

Frank

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2022 at 19:27, Golden Fleece 30 said:

We had a similar discussion down at the Leeds MRC a few years ago when Alan Smith built this '0' Gauge B17. I managed to find a photograph from a magazine that seemed to show a white background with a late tender crest but also I found a picture from MRJ of a Steve Barnfield model that had the blue / yellow background with an early crested tender.

Alan decided that he liked the blue / yellow look whereas I, being much younger, thought that it should be white ...his loco, his choice, likewise for Garry.

It's a super looking loco whatever.

Regards,

Ian.

PS ... the small replica nameplate that I have on the back of my model room door has the white background.

E35664C4-3E6F-4E28-8F75-7C10BCFBAF1B.jpeg

D15E6CA5-DDEF-4DD5-AFEA-D0A6AEABB310.jpeg

Edited by 03060
Extra photo added.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

My Duchess, City actually, awaiting name and numbers for City of Nottingham. I need to remove the centre wheel flanges so she will run around Tri-ang curves.

IMG_20220601_103732.jpg

What wheels are they Garry?

• RMweb Premium
On 26/05/2022 at 17:52, Golden Fleece 30 said:

I dont have couplings on the front of passenger/main line locos. At the moment it is powered by a K's motor but hope to fit an XT60 in it.

I have had various names mentioned, Fred Lea, Jeremy Sutter, Dave Andrews. 

FB_IMG_1653583817277.jpg

FB_IMG_1653583830228.jpg

There's a couple of shots of Fred Lea's Duchess taken at the 2008 AGM:

https://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/gallery/agm-2008---geoff-helliwell-s-pictures

8 hours ago, NCB said:

There's a couple of shots of Fred Lea's Duchess taken at the 2008 AGM:

https://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/gallery/agm-2008---geoff-helliwell-s-pictures

Thanks, looking at that beauty mine is not from the same stable as there are a lot of differences. The only way mine beats that is with the rivet detail otherwise that looks a lot better. I have also come across a Jeremy Sutter one which again is very different.  It is possible mine could be from a Dave Andrews kit but there are still differences with mine to the other two.  The Jeremy Sutter one is made from far thinner material so I could rule that and mine out from the same kit.

Chassis/valve gear wise mine is different to both others too so at the moment more inclined to think it is scratch built.

• 4 weeks later...

Two lovely rtr locos from Geoff Helliwell in the 3mm society.  These are sold running but you do your own painting.

Very nice runners but as Geoff says in his notes with them additional weight would be ideal for better haulage.

The chassis is Geoff's own design with a small compact little motor.  I suspect the wheels are society ones although the 03 may have had the centres 3D printed by Lenny at Lincoln-Locos who also provided Geoff with the bodies.

IMG_20220627_130357.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

Here is one of Lincoln-Locos 25k, AL class, 3D printed bodies having a run. This is mounted on two Halling motor bogies as yet missing two matching sideframes on the opposite side. There are some neat, non working, 3D printed pantographs to fit later.

Sounds like fitted with decent sound chip