Rails Announce OO 18000 Gas Turbine Locomotive

Oliver Rails

I received two identical email as well, both received at the same time, so likely to have been sent at the same time, another problem with their new web site.

there is a link in the email that says click here to get the upto date status of your order but for me it just went to a 404 page not found error. There was no tracking information in the email.

I contacted Rails and while the did not comment on the issue they did provide the tracking information.

Also when I checked the web site the pre-order had gone and there was no sign of my order.

But with the tracking info I am now another happy bunny, and will be even more so when the model arrives tomorrow

It is slightly frustrating - the £30 deposit is treated as independently 'despatched' - the sound upgrade is separate from the loco itself - but hey ho, I have never had a reason to complain about Rails in the past and, fingers crossed, will not need to do so now (that is tomorrow, Tuesday, in all probability).

• RMweb Premium

Received mine on Saturday but only got round to running it yesterday evening. 

All intact and ran beautifully straight out of the box, crawling along at speed step 1 of 128 and negotiated cross overs and reverse curves without hesitation.  Factory fitted sound functions all first class tho' I may turn the volume down a little, the turbine sounds like the real thing was parked up on my drive.

Absolutely beautiful model in original black and silver livery. With factory fitted sound, this is the most I've ever spent on a single model in 4mm and worth every penny in my opinion.  Well done Heljan and Rails of Sheffield.  Top job.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Just received two emails saying that my Gas Turbine 18000 has been despatched.

Happy bunny at last.

Keith

Having received the above emails late yesterday afternoon had bit of a surprise this morning. Had to be out early to have my Covid-19 booster jab (Pfizer on top of two Astra-Zeneca jabs) and upon returning home a short while ago found a package from Rails waiting for me in the front lobby.

Many thanks Rails - and ParcelForce for the speedy delivery.

Keith

• Like 3

Mine arrived yesterday and a quick visual check everything looks great. Tried the sound functions briefly using a Bachmann DCC control unit engines both start and run as do the head/tail lights but no other functions seem to work. Not able to check further with my Gaugemaster DCC controller until the grandkids depart Thursday evening. Hope it’s just a basic Bachmann control issue!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately it appears our grandchildren didn’t only bring their lovely little cuddles and fun with them….we have both now got awful coughs, soar throat, sniffle and generally feeling’orrible……bang goes the third jab and flu jab on Saturday I fear…..we’ll see. :bo_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 7

43 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Unfortunately it appears our grandchildren didn’t only bring their lovely little cuddles and fun with them….we have both now got awful coughs, soar throat, sniffle and generally feeling’orrible……bang goes the third jab and flu jab on Saturday I fear…..we’ll see. :bo_mini:

I have much the same symptoms - but only since I had my 'flu jab on Saturday; I was warned that this could happen.

It didn't stop me having my Covid booster on Monday.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I have much the same symptoms - but only since I had my 'flu jab on Saturday; I was warned that this could happen.

It didn't stop me having my Covid booster on Monday.

John Isherwood.

We were having both the flu and booster at the same time but…….luckily their Dad is a doctor and he reckons we should wait until Sat morning to decide, as long as the symptoms are mild by then it should be OK.

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

We were having both the flu and booster at the same time but…….luckily their Dad is a doctor and he reckons we should wait until Sat morning to decide, as long as the symptoms are mild by then it should be OK.

Luckily we are OK but some friends who went on a Turkey and Tinsel a couple of weeks ago developed a really bad cold which turned out to be covid so one in hospital and one very poorly. Turns out most on the coach trip are unwell…..

Anyway back to the main subject - has anyone else had sound issues? Could it just be the basic Bachmann DCC controller, there is scant DCC or sound function information with the loco unlike other makes.

2 hours ago, Martin_R said:

... Could it just be the basic Bachmann DCC controller, there is scant DCC or sound function information with the loco unlike other makes.

I received this with mine if that helps...

IMG_20211027_144003_edit_625298401060315.jpg.24686c792c73c77e8ed80492c7a05f04.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Same here....but me own kids

Thats some long list of Functions!

Edited by Georgeconna

10 minutes ago, Railsnail said:

IMG_20211027_144003_edit_625298401060315.jpg.24686c792c73c77e8ed80492c7a05f04.jpg

I think that is what Martin R describes as scant, just a list of functions. The list on the Wheeltappers site is slightly better but only adds notes about function that only work on some conditions.

There is no information about CV’s although we can assume that the standard Loksound V5 ones all apply, but the is no details of CV’s to set sound levels etc. One would hope again that the standard/common locations apply.

Other manufactures at least give  A4 sheet of founction’s and CV’s

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Railsnail said:

That’s what I have too but only F0, F1, F3, F5 and F6 worked on the basic Bachmann DCC controller, I hope my Gaugemaster will work when I get a chance to use it.

All of my other sound loco’s have full DCC and sound file details for very easy adjustments to settings/sound levels etc. I find ESU LokSound V5 by far the best I’ve seen or used plus readily available from some retailers with hard to find sound files.

All of those quoted work on my homebrew DCC++ controller, so I guess the issue is with your Bachmann controller.

I can't say I have played around much with CVs except to turn down the master sound volume. The turbine whine was upsetting the cat.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, I’m delighted to say that I find the model disappointing !

I only have third radius curves (at the moment) so the model derails,  the battery box is hanging

off because the screws won’t tighten and as has already been mentioned the instructions for

sound cv values and detail fixing is scant.

Fortunately the issue with the pick ups hasn’t affected my example.

Originally I had a none sound version too but that arrived damaged and was returned for a refund, which

to their credit Rails did not quibble about.

At £200.00 for the standard model I think  quality could be a lot better.

So why delighted ?

Well think of the money I’ve saved not going for the E1000 & 18100.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Martin_R said:

Mine arrived yesterday and a quick visual check everything looks great. Tried the sound functions briefly using a Bachmann DCC control unit engines both start and run as do the head/tail lights but no other functions seem to work. Not able to check further with my Gaugemaster DCC controller until the grandkids depart Thursday evening. Hope it’s just a basic Bachmann control issue!

I have just set up mine using an iPad/Z21. I was concerned at first because most of the functions did not appear to be working on the rolling road I was using. Not a problem I have had before. But I persisted and mapped every function regardless. And when I put it on a track everything worked fine. So my rolling road must need cleaning, or the connections checking. A poor connection somewhere may be your problem.

• Agree 1

It is not perfect.  However I have always found that every model needs a little improvement.  Welcome to modelling.  In the case of the "the battery box is hanging off because the screws won’t tighten and as has already been mentioned".  Yes, mine did too.   However plugging the original holes with a bit of cocktail stick, drilling and refitting did the job.  I agree that we should not need to do this but I have found that every model i buy needs a little help to meet my expectations; starting with the humble 5 plank open which needs the brake handle painting white.  If we want perfection you must expect to pay a lot more for it.  Compare continental prices to a bit of cocktail stick, it's a no brainer.  Whining won't change anything and cancelling a future order is something of an empty gesture.  I look forward to the challenge of making 18100 meet my standards.

• Like 2

Update on my function problems. 
1. Grandchildren are out looking at some fancy lights with Grandma.

2. Set up on programming track with Gaugemaster and same issues noted - only F0, F1, F3, F5 and F6 appear to be working as with Bachmann controller.

3. CV 8 checked and returned 151. CV 8 reset and checked again and some additional functions now appear to be working but not consistently.

4. Body off and quick inspection revealed the sound card a little loose and at a bit of a jaunty angle PLUS the brown speaker wires (not in use) laying loose on top of the pcb. Removed the sound card and tested in my ESU Decoder Tester and seemed to work as expected, whistle and horns operating when either engine running.
5. Sound card put carefully back in place and unused speaker wires insulated with Kapton tape and secured.

6. Loco tested and everything working as expected. 
7. Body back on and final test, completely different loco - smooth and responsive with everything working.

I can only surmise that the sound card was possibly not seated properly, just glad I’ve sorted it.

Edited by Martin_R
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Two weeks from dispatch to my door in Sydney.  I am yet to test run it but I am now completely cured of my need for another expensive quirky locomotive.  It is a nice enough loco but as the most expensive "OO" model that I have ever purchased,  it really does not tick all the boxes for me.  For me it just does not have the crispness and presence that say a GBP150.00 Bachmann model would have.  Perhaps a limited release may have pushed up the price,  but in my opinion it is overpriced.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had my 18000 arrive the other week but only manage to get it out the other day to have a look at it properly. Very nice model and well detailed. The only problem I've got is that I like to add the detailing parts that come in the little bags but found that a couple of the parts are missing. Being a limited run I don't know if any spare would be available, so I contacted Rails but have had no response, probably because I emailed them and asked when mine would be sent out as it had been a week since they took my money and had a very abrupt reply back. I've contacted Heljan themselves but no reply.

Anyone that can help me at all?

• Friendly/supportive 1

OK.  You should have:

1.  2 Draw hooks in black with associated 3 link coupling, one for each end.  These will need filing down to fit in the hole in the draw bar.

2.  2 steam heat pipes.  See available photo's as to where they fit.  See below for options.

3.  2 vacuum brake pipes.  See photo's and so on.

4.  You need to decide if your model is for display or use.  You have 2 hook and bar couplings and these cannot be fitted to the bogie vacuum cylinders as well as the drawhook, steam heat and vacuum pipes.  You pay your money and take your choice.  I have chosen to fit a kadee to to one end and the full hook and pipe set up at the other.

5.  You have 4 (small) foot steps in silver, 2 silver 'U bend' bars', and 2 U bend bars with bolted joints between the vertical and the horizontal, yes it does make sense.  Look carefully at the drawing on the front of the box.

6.  I have had the opportunity to look both at the picture on the front of the box. best books and the locomotive itself.  If you look at the underneath of the model there are, in the dummy silver bogie, 2 holes at the front (outer) end and 2 at the back (inner) end, left and right.  Further there are 2 holes in the body frame on each corner where the leading axle is.  So:

A.  The long simple silver U bend goes in the holes in the inner end of the bogie.  These remain on the locomotive to this day but needless to say are now black!

B.  The U bend with a bolted joint go at the other or outer end of each bogie.  The holes can be seen.  On the locomotive today these have been replaced with conventional guard irons.  It is clear that these guard irons are an after market 'weld on'.

C.  The 4 small square, silver, U shapes are the foot steps for the cab and fit into the holes in the model in line with each which match each outer axle of each bogie.  The straight face goes to the outer side.

More interestingly you may wish to dismantle the model to ensure that the power pickups contact the inside of the wheels at all times.  I would not wish to give instructions to do this, it depends on your skills, but I strongly recommend it.

The centre battery? section of the body seems to be a pain in that the screws which hold it on are too short or lacking in diameter/thread.  My solution was to glue a bit of cocktail stick in the hole, drill the cocktail stick to give a start to the screw and go for it.  Worked a treat.

This is in no way a criticism of the model, it is a cracker.  Just a steer to get to the finishing line. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8