Peco code 75 bullhead double slips.

Robert Stokes

• RMweb Gold

I do like the look of these, and bullhead would be more in keeping with the modelling period for me, but I'm dithering, from what I've seen the bullhead track is rather delicate, and I've got loads of Peco code 100 already to be laid, and know where I am with it, I just can't decide!

I know, I'll dither some more...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tractionman said:

I do like the look of these, and bullhead would be more in keeping with the modelling period for me, but I'm dithering, from what I've seen the bullhead track is rather delicate, and I've got loads of Peco code 100 already to be laid, and know where I am with it, I just can't decide!

I know, I'll dither some more...

Bullhead points & crossings with flatbottom standard track was perfectly authentic together.

Peco bullhead is code 75 though. This can be made to work with code 100 track but mixing the 2 is not ideal. That would make me stick with code 100 points & crossings.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

But I'm not working in 2mm and nor do I have time to build kits of points.

link corrected to 4mm.   These look extremely quick to build btw, but each to their own 👍

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

But I'm not working in 2mm and nor do I have time to build kits of points.

Try this link to the OO double slip:

https://www.britishfinescale.com/product-p/finetrax-00-1in7-doubleslip.htm

These kits are allegedly quite easy to put together but with smaller crossing angles than Peco they are not direct replacements and will consume more length in track plans.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Try this link to the OO double slip:

https://www.britishfinescale.com/product-p/finetrax-00-1in7-doubleslip.htm

These kits are allegedly quite easy to put together but with smaller crossing angles than Peco they are not direct replacements and will consume more length in track plans.

Sadly it still doesn't help the time issue. Being self employed with a young family doesn't leave a lot of time for modelling!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

Well spotted, but the single slips have a rrp of £70 which seems a lot given that the diamond crossing is £30. 

Expensive they are but in line with the rest of the range where the prices are approximately double that of the existing code 75 fine-scale turnouts. Standard turnouts £29 vs £15, crossings £25 vs £13.50 and slips £70 vs £44. All these are Hatton's prices. I suppose there's a lot more work involved in manufacture plus recovery of development costs etc. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

Well spotted, but the single slips have a rrp of £70 which seems a lot given that the diamond crossing is £30. 

£30 therefore makes the diamond crossing cheaper than the large radius points.  Simple conclusion - it is far simpler, and cheaper, to manufacture than points therefore it retails at a lower price. the single slip is almost equivalent to two points in terms of parts and assembly time so retails at slightly less than the cost of two of them.  Looks like Peco are very fairly charging us on the basis of what it costs to make these items so the more complex they are the more they cost..

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

£30 therefore makes the diamond crossing cheaper than the large radius points.

Anything with moving parts is always more expensive than fixed items.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2