Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

How well does the model of 37001 match the prototype running in the early 1980s? Perusing photos does not show any major changes between the artwork and the real loco in 1986, but I am not familiar enough to spot any subtle changes. The warning panel yellow was the later colour in 1986, but it looks freshly outshopped in the photo I looked at, so I assume it was the older yellow prior to that?

Thanks,

Roy

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, truffy said:

No. It’ll be an APT with full rake of 14...

:jester:

IGMC

Good lord no, the APT is a suicide project for any company to take on.  

22 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Can you clarify the spec for the chassis manufacture. The released spec says just die cast. Is it going to be the same as the 55 and 92 with a tungsten alloy chassis.

Hi Rembow,

The chassis of the 37 is diecast, but will be of excellent quality and very heavy. Tungsten alloy is very expensive and a massive challenge to produce, which has lead to all sorts of delays for the Deltic and 92. 

8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

How well does the model of 37001 match the prototype running in the early 1980s? Perusing photos does not show any major changes between the artwork and the real loco in 1986, but I am not familiar enough to spot any subtle changes. The warning panel yellow was the later colour in 1986, but it looks freshly outshopped in the photo I looked at, so I assume it was the older yellow prior to that?

Thanks,

Roy

The 37001 we are producing is in 1970s condition, with headcodes which are user applied. We will offer 00 00 and dominos in the pack too, so modelllers of the late 70s can avail. It would be usable up until the skirts were removed and the boxes plated over. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

The 37001 we are producing is in 1970s condition, with headcodes which are user applied. We will offer 00 00 and dominos in the pack too, so modelllers of the late 70s can avail. It would be usable up until the skirts were removed and the boxes plated over. 

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks Fran. Had a bit of a mad moment here, I was so busy looking for subtle differences that I completely overlooked the most obvious change with the headcode boxes! I can't find when they were plated over - some time between July 77 and May 80 from photos I have access to at the moment.

I think 37001 kept its skirts until rebuilding at 37707?

Anyhow, one will be ordered after my second Deltic is paid for next month :good_mini:

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

12 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks Fran. Had a bit of a mad moment here, I was so busy looking for subtle differences that I completely overlooked the most obvious change with the headcode boxes! I can't find when they were plated over - some time between July 77 and May 80 from photos I have access to at the moment.

I think 37001 kept its skirts until rebuilding at 37707?

Anyhow, one will be ordered after my second Deltic is paid for next month :good_mini:

Roy

Hi Roy, 37001 still had black headcode panels in 1986. I have a photo of it at York on 05 July 86.

2019-11-20_11-06-37.jpg

Edited by WhiteRoseRambler
Date corrected
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rembow,

The chassis of the 37 is diecast, but will be of excellent quality and very heavy. Tungsten alloy is very expensive and a massive challenge to produce, which has lead to all sorts of delays for the Deltic and 92. 

Cheers!

Fran

Dominos in the pack? Hmmm. Could be for me after all. Found an image of it as late as August 1987. Went into works sometime in Autumn ‘87 before coming out as 37707 in early December ‘87. My layout is late 1986/early 1987, so it fits. Of note, it gained orange cant stripe sometime between September 1986 and March ‘87. No big deal. Easy to sort.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseRambler said:

Hi Roy, 37001 still had black headcode panels in 1986. I have a photo of it at York on 05 June 86.

Black yes, but not glass dominos as seen in this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8266876426/in/photolist-dAvUmb. Those 1986 headcodes can't just be replicated by swapping headcodes "numbers". Your 1986 shows modified headcode boxes.

It also had yellow headcodes in 1981: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8708923@N03/12529626505/in/photolist-k6cBrc-qMjBva

Neither photo is mine, but found looking on Flickr.

Roy

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Black yes, but not glass dominos as seen in this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8266876426/in/photolist-dAvUmb. Those 1986 headcodes can't just be replicated by swapping headcodes "numbers". Your 1986 shows modified headcode boxes.

It also had yellow headcodes in 1981: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8708923@N03/12529626505/in/photolist-k6cBrc-qMjBva

Neither photo is mine, but found looking on Flickr.

Roy

Ah, yes Glass dominos. Saw Frans domino’s in pack and didn’t think there was indeed black glass dominos and plated metal dominos. Shame. Not for me then after all. Never mind. 

Edited by 66738

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 66738 said:

Ah, yes Glass dominos. Saw Frans domino’s in pack and didn’t think there was indeed black glass dominos and plated glass dominos. Shame. Not for me then after all. Never mind. 

Sorry, confusion caused by my end! Don't lose hope though, as this is the first of a series of 37 announcements of course...

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Sorry, confusion caused by my end! Don't lose hope though, as this is the first of a series of 37 announcements of course...

Cheers!

Fran

Oooh! Now you are teasing us!!

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, McC said:

They will actually, will get that note added to the site (as well as Directional lighting on DC and DCC

WIPAC light clusters where appropriate with day and night-time settings

Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, details driver’s console, auto off on movement

Switchable red tail lights)

Is that all?

On the next model can we have a moving speedo needle please? :lol:

• Funny 3

44 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We will offer 00 00 and dominos in the pack too, so modelllers of the late 70s can avail.

37001 being used on the initial Redcar>Consett>Redcar JTA's, 6K60 might be appropriate. Somewhere I have records for the headcodes for 1974/5.

4 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

37001 being used on the initial Redcar>Consett>Redcar JTA's, 6K60 might be appropriate. Somewhere I have records for the headcodes for 1974/5.

That it would, I've got photos off all the first 5 37/0s on the Consett line, 2020 is going to be expensive...

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

That's a great announcement - and some time in preparation by the look of it.

I can now get value for money out of my Bachmann 37 using it for a couple of more years until you produce a centre headcode version in original form, which is a better fit for the WR.

Indeed.......I’ll be waiting for that version also....and Fran did promise me it would come eventually.....:D

• Funny 2

When a small boy, I always liked 'the big nosed diesels'.

When a larger small boy, I started 'getting into' model railways, and elder brother at one stage purchased a Tri-ang green 37 - which I thought was great.

When an early teenager I realised these 'big nosed diesels' on local railways weren't 37's, but my real favourite, the 40 ...

That's when I stopped liking the 37 as much!

REALLY wanted an A-S 40!!

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, McC said:
  • Brake blocks on trucks (bogies) in line with wheels (can be moved for EM/P4 gauges)
  • RP25-110 profile OO gauge wheels with fine scale ‘drop in’ EM (18.2mm gauge) and P4 (18.83mm gauge) wheels available separately......

Have you announced this detail for the Deltic somewhere, I cannot find it if you have?

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to Accurascale . I think this will be a good model for them . I understand that by going for the 37/6 it is perhaps a nice introduction in not being perceived to be going head on in competition with Bachmann . The 37/0 less so . The irony for me is I have two Bachmann 37/0s in blue and green already so really would fancy a 37/4 in large logo . Will these versions appear in the next year ? While its a lot of money, if I'm spending it I'd rather spend it on a new model with super mechanism , rather than approximately the same amount of money on what is a good but now old design

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 66738 said:

Ah, yes Glass dominos. Saw Frans domino’s in pack and didn’t think there was indeed black glass dominos and plated metal dominos. Shame. Not for me then after all. Never mind. 

Wouldnt be a show stopper for me - if dominoes are supplied I will happily imagine they are 'glass' In the same way I imagine most of the scenery and structures on my layout that I have yet to make or build! :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Wouldnt be a show stopper for me - if dominoes are supplied I will happily imagine they are 'glass' In the same way I imagine most of the scenery and structures on my layout that I have yet to make or build! :)

The other way round mate. They are supplied glass dominos but you would happily imagine they are plated metal dominos. I get what you are saying, and I can accept small discrepancies like that no problem, but for me it would be a purchase that I don’t really need. (Need every penny I can for next year. Tulyar and 3 class 45’s arriving.) And if it wasn’t pretty damn near spot on for my era layout, I might as well wait for one that is. There’s no rush. But yeah I understand what you are saying. It’s your own layout and rule #1 applies. If you’re happy with it, nothing else matters. 

Edited by 66738
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Swindon 123 said:

One thing to note with 37001 is that it had lost its boiler water tanks by 1983. 

Paul J.

Looking more, the tanks are missing since at least April 1980. 

Fran - can you say if the tanks under the 37 separate mouldings making removal of just one easier?

Roy

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Looking more, the tanks are missing since at least April 1980. 

Fran - can you say if the tanks under the 37 separate mouldings making removal of just one easier?

Roy

Hi Roy,

Yes, it should be possible to remove the boiler tank leaving only the brackets.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, McC said:

They will actually, will get that note added to the site (as well as Directional lighting on DC and DCC

WIPAC light clusters where appropriate with day and night-time settings

Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, details driver’s console, auto off on movement

Switchable red tail lights)

The driver’s console would remain illuminated on movement, even if the cab lights are turned off. (Correct me if I’m wrong.) Will the console remain lit with the cab light turned off?

Will there be a driver figure in the cab and a second man in the case of the green versions? If not, will access to the cab be easy and is there any hope of co-operation with Modelu to produce one which fits? Perhaps the 00 Big Jim might.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

The driver’s console would remain illuminated on movement, even if the cab lights are turned off. (Correct me if I’m wrong.) Will the console remain lit with the cab light turned off?

Will there be a driver figure in the cab and a second man in the case of the green versions? If not, will access to the cab be easy and is there any hope of co-operation with Modelu to produce one which fits? Perhaps the 00 Big Jim might.

Our aim will be to have the console illuminated when the cab light is off. 

We do no provide drivers in the locos but cab access will be straight forward.

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran

Careful, looks like you're trying to throw us off the scent by claiming it is too much to build but then put 37001 into the same message.

37001 /  370001 coincidence........:D

• Funny 3

Thank you, Fran. Initial disappointment has been mellowed by the mention that this isn’t the big announcement. I must like 37s because I have fourteen of them. It’s not an easy thing to do to sell me another 37 but I think you’ve done it. I haven’t got a 37/6. Clever stuff – well done!

Another gap I’m conscious of is the 37/9. Kernow did commission one of them – one of the two with a Ruston engine and a modified roof. If I recall correctly, four had Mirrlees engines and a more heavily modified roof. Of course, it’s all very well my saying that I should like one but I recall that the Kernow commission sold slowly. I don’t like to admit it but you would probably need to think carefully before producing one or even think briefly and say no. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1