KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NoDominion said:

Another update from KRModels, apparently they're fixing some "minor errors" before they ship our orders. At this rate it'll be September before we see the Fell in our hands! 

September is better than May with minor errors included! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

At this point i’ll settle for the major errors (like the EPs being seen being a generic Fell, rather than a point in time one), and I could live with the minor ones.

Edited by adb968008

On 14/05/2022 at 22:51, Wagonmaster said:

Be interesting to know what these 'minor errors' are. Nose grilles perhaps?

Could just be a paint or assembly issue. They could have just received production samples before the shipment leaves and found an error. No confirmation on that though just my opinion. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Could just be a paint or assembly issue. They could have just received production samples before the shipment leaves and found an error. No confirmation on that though just my opinion. 

Like noticing the roof doesnt match either of the two differing mis-matches bodysides ?

i really hope theyve caught this.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I presume these should be landing imminently. Just logged onto the website to check (had to reset my password btw) and noticed my order is still "processing". Is anyone's else still at this status or should I get in touch.

1 minute ago, E100 said:

I presume these should be landing imminently. Just logged onto the website to check (had to reset my password btw) and noticed my order is still "processing". Is anyone's else still at this status or should I get in touch.

My preorder was labelled as failed when I checked it a few weeks ago. After messaging them on Facebook I got an email updating my order to complete. Might be worth contacting them to see what's up.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

My preorder was labelled as failed when I checked it a few weeks ago. After messaging them on Facebook I got an email updating my order to complete. Might be worth contacting them to see what's up.

Thanks for the heads up, quick message via Facebook and updated from failed to processing now, all due to domain change.

Cheers

James

Just now, jessy1692 said:

Thanks for the heads up, quick message via Facebook and updated from failed to processing now, all due to domain change.

Cheers

James

It would seem that the domain change lost customers' passwords, too.

CJI.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah Sarah from KR Models confirmed that it the status being processing is perfectly normal. Great customer service too, as I had a reply within a matter of an hour or so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, E100 said:

Yeah Sarah from KR Models confirmed that it the status being processing is perfectly normal. Great customer service too, as I had a reply within a matter of an hour or so.

Agreed, I sent them a message on Facebook about 2ish our time and received an auto response to say its outside their business hours ( 6am ish Canada time I guess) but got a response in about 10 mins and all sorted, great stuff.

Just received the latest KR newsletter, they state 'the Fell is en route to the warehouse and we will update when cleared Customs'. Bit confusing as it can't be en route to UK warehouse until the consignment has cleared Customs. I assume it means they have arrived in UK and awaiting Customs clearance.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Just received the latest KR newsletter, they state 'the Fell is en route to the warehouse and we will update when cleared Customs'. Bit confusing as it can't be en route to UK warehouse until the consignment has cleared Customs. I assume it means they have arrived in UK and awaiting Customs clearance.  

'Technically speaking' the moment it left the factory it was en route. 

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

'Technically speaking' the moment it left the factory it was en route. 

I'm assuming they are trying to say that the Fell has arrived or is close to arriving at a UK port, as the previous newsletter said they were on a ship at sea.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rembrow said:

I'm assuming they are trying to say that the Fell has arrived or is close to arriving at a UK port, as the previous newsletter said they were on a ship at sea.

Basically I think it means whatever they want you to think or as in some of their magazine ads they do use some very peculiar wording at times.  Basically it's exactly as Olddudders has said  - once they have left teh factory they are enroute.  And the only subsequent comment which really means anything is one that clearly says what point they have reached in their journey although if they're in groupage that might be more difficult than as a single container load.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Fell Locomotive - British Railways No 10100
some notes by John Cove, formerly a Director of Davey Paxman & Co.

This locomotive employed for the first time in its horsepower range an entirely mechanical drive. The gearbox was the brainchild of Colonel Fell and design of the locomotive was coordinated for his company Fell Developments Ltd via a committee that met at regular intervals as the project took shape. Paxmans were represented on this committee and I believe that Geoff Bone (Managing Director of Paxman, 1954-64) mainly attended meetings. However, I also sat on this committee but only briefly in the later stages when the performance of the locomotive was being evaluated.

The engines were mechanically supercharged rather than turbocharged but otherwise operated on a somewhat similar principal to the Hi-Dyne engines in that they were very heavily supercharged for high starting torque but this was reduced to normal proportions as the loco picked up speed.

The heart of the locomotive was the gearbox and this was the essential invention of Colonel Fell. The principle on which this gearbox operated is described in the previous article on this page.

The locomotive was extensively tested and did prove the viability of an entirely mechanical drive for a locomotive of this power. However, in retrospect it is my opinion that a mistake was made in deciding that everything on board should be mechanically driven as this led to a complex and troublesome arrangement of long shafts driving auxiliaries such as the radiator fans. The positioning of the radiators at the ends of the locomotive also caused problems. Air supply to and from the trailing radiator which was partially blanked off by the attached carriage was marginal at best, and cross connections to compensate for this, coupled with the need to include cooling for four main and two auxiliary engines resulted in a very complex system that gave a lot of problems with air venting and overheating.

Finally there was the problem of the AEC auxiliary engines and the Rootes blowers they drove to supercharge the main engines. In the station, with maximum boost required for starting the train from rest the noise from these was hideous, especially as it was added to the noise caused by the radiator fans and six engines also running. At that time a number of competitors were running various other prototypes on British Rail and when the Fell locomotive passed them their service engineers always made a point of ostentatiously blocking their ears!

Despite the fact that the viability of its mechanical drive was proven the Fell locomotive did not succeed in producing further orders. An unfortunate accident caused severe damage to the main gearbox at a crucial time and this probably influenced BR's decision not to proceed with the Mark 2 version which Fell Developments Ltd proposed.

The failure had relatively small beginnings. The gearbox suffered the failure of a bolt in its upper part. I cannot recall whether this was attributable to faulty design, materials or workmanship but the main point was that the broken bits passed all the way down through the gear train and rendered most of the gear wheels unfit for further service. The locomotive was returned to BR's workshop where it was built and stripped for investigation but that was effectively the end of the project.

The Mark 2 locomotive was thus never proceeded with and I do not know how it would have turned out.

My personal opinion has always been that the prototype locomotive tested was somewhat before its time and a Mark 2 locomotive could have been greatly simplified and improved. About the time the prototype was doing its test running large torque converters were becoming available in sizes to suit the Paxman engines. If the engines could have been fitted with these they could have had normal turbocharging and the AEC engines and Rootes blowers could have been eliminated. Then there would have been room in the centre of the locomotive for side mounted radiators and this would have eliminated the cooling problems. Such a locomotive would have been much quieter too. But it was not to be.

John Cove
April 2005

The notes refer to a Fell locomotive Mark 2.

KR Models:  do any drawings exist for the Mark 2?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1