KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Barry O said:

How are they replicating the body "sway" as it was very noticeable on the real one?

Baz

A lot of models have far too much sway due to high bogie pivots (to get them round trainset curves). So I don't anticipate much difficulty.

I rather doubt that they will get enough support for an N gauge Fell but I may well make an expression of interest.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

A lot of models have far too much sway due to high bogie pivots (to get them round trainset curves). So I don't anticipate much difficulty.

I rather doubt that they will get enough support for an N gauge Fell but I may well make an expression of interest.

The drive system fora Fell is interesting. It may need to be different for the two variants. Only the non poweredfront and rear 4 wheel bogies need to pivot. The DO version has a solid 4 axle coupling rod unit. The 4-4-4-4 still has a solid 8 wheel long lump in the middle....

Baz

54 minutes ago, Barry O said:

The drive system fora Fell is interesting. It may need to be different for the two variants. Only the non poweredfront and rear 4 wheel bogies need to pivot. The DO version has a solid 4 axle coupling rod unit. The 4-4-4-4 still has a solid 8 wheel long lump in the middle....

Baz

I don't believe that KR have committed to produce the 4-8-4 variant; only the 4-4-4-4.

The prototype suffered from what we experience on model locos - driving axles should only be coupled by rods OR gears; NOT both !

If both are used, the two systems 'fight', and poor running or even seizure occurs.

My Judith Edge 4-4-4-4 will have gear drive to the outer two driven axles, with rod drive to the inner two axles.

DRIVE_ARRANGEMENTS_-_MH-1630.JPG.561f52d11e3fe06c28874cb3d6797616.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got an email today asking for the first instalment.  Also read somewhere whilst working my way through to payment that this was not a crowdfunding scheme, so quite what it is, I'm not sure.

On 26/11/2019 at 18:30, Michael Delamar said:

An interesting video, but why didn't they just buy 1x 2200hp Sulzer V12 and make it a diesel electric? Or, pay more attention to the work being done in Germany on diesel Hydraulic designs.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/sncf262BD1.html

1938 French 262 with 2x 2200hp Sulzer engines

sncf282sulzerbuilder.jpg

Edited by maico

4 hours ago, 96701 said:

Got an email today asking for the first instalment.  Also read somewhere whilst working my way through to payment that this was not a crowdfunding scheme, so quite what it is, I'm not sure.

The website says they have enough EoIs to go to production so they are definitely going ahead with production so it’s not reliant on crowdfunding; pretty clear I would say. 

The three stage payments are not crowdfunding but to make it more affordable as there are a lot of other popular models  being released. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, maico said:

1938 French 262 with 2x 2200hp Sulzer engines

sncf282sulzerbuilder.jpg

Looks like a 4-6-4 or, as the French would have it at the time, a 232.

Also, we're surely looking at just half of a twin unit - with one 2200hp Sulzer engine in each unit.

image.png.68d3cbaebda93b19bc822abb3529e08b.pngimage.png.fbf99e7cb94076fe1d75ba09ada5dc65.png

So, strictly, it was a 4-6-4+4-6-4 or a 232+232; that's quite a bit of hardware, even if the twin unit was rated at 4400hp.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

Just had an e mail from KR models . I had signed up to register my interest after seeing their stand at Warley. This morning had the e mail stating they were going into production and signed up to the payments scheme. The latest email states they are suspending the pre payment scheme due to technical difficulties. They hope to restart asap. I confess I feared a scam hence my checking here.....and reading the responses on the earlier pages reassured. 

Edited by 46256

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a crowdfunding scheme to me..but in disguise...

I dont like paying up front for something that doesn't exist. At the same time I wonder if they have obtained a correct drawing of the Fell for a specific date in its life? Or are they buying a judith edge kit to find out how big the Fell is?

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

If it's not crowd funding it's something very close to it.

You collect  "deposits " on your next product before you have delivered the previous one. 

Is this "deposit" funding production of the previous one?

A very strange way to do business in my book.

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Nick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 46256 said:

Just had an e mail from KR models . I had signed up to register my interest after seeing their stand at Warley. This morning had the e mail stating they were going into production and signed up to the payments scheme. The latest email states they are suspending the pre payment scheme due to technical difficulties. They hope to restart asap. I confess I feared a scam hence my checking here.....and reading the responses on the earlier pages reassured. 

I too signed up yesterday. Howevet the payment scheme was going to take only £125 over three payments instead of £150. It said customers in the UK and EU would be charged VAT but it appears that the VAT was not charged.  This could be the technical difficulties referred to.  I did raise the VAT issue with Keith yesterday and this morning I  emailed him asking if the technical difficulties were related to the VAT.

• Like 1

Good morning Colin

I noted the reduced price from that originally quoted. My initial concern when double checking yesterday was that the invitation to pay wasn't a cleverly disguised scammer using the KR model page. I now don't think that to be the case...famous last words. I still have concerns though at the end of this process will we have the model promised ? On that point have any customers received their GT3 models yet, and how long did it take from the expression of interest to fulfilment.

My wife,  not for the first and definately not the last time,has just questioned my sanity! paying for something that dosnt yet exist

best wishes Brian

30 minutes ago, 46256 said:

On that point have any customers received their GT3 models yet, and how long did it take from the expression of interest to fulfilment.

The GT3 hasn't been delivered yet, last update they were waiting for an updated EP to test fully and still on course for delivery in Q2.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Good morning Colin

I noted the reduced price from that originally quoted. My initial concern when double checking yesterday was that the invitation to pay wasn't a cleverly disguised scammer using the KR model page. I now don't think that to be the case...famous last words. I still have concerns though at the end of this process will we have the model promised ? On that point have any customers received their GT3 models yet, and how long did it take from the expression of interest to fulfilment.

My wife,  not for the first and definately not the last time,has just questioned my sanity! paying for something that dosnt yet exist

best wishes Brian

A wiser woman than her husband is your wife. Wiser than me, too. I suppose I should come clean. Just before the cut off and the EoIs for a re-run of the GT3, I took the plunge and ordered a GT3. Another gas turbine  being announced gave me a poke and I didn’t like the prospect of missing the only likely model of a GT3, despite all my misgivings.

As for the Fell, I’d absolutely love one but I’d sooner have the GT3 to assess before committing. Q2? June has been mentioned but just about everything seems to slip for all sorts of unforeseeable reasons.

I sit. I sweat.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I too signed up yesterday. Howevet the payment scheme was going to take only £125 over three payments instead of £150. It said customers in the UK and EU would be charged VAT but it appears that the VAT was not charged.  This could be the technical difficulties referred to.  I did raise the VAT issue with Keith yesterday and this morning I  emailed him asking if the technical difficulties were related to the VAT.

Life would've been much simpler and more transparent to potential customers if the point of sale and hopefully delivery had been via a physical UK address rather than selling from a PO box the other side of the planet (from most customers' perspective) and delivering via an undisclosed location.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Spamcam you might have been referring to the past, or you may not be up to date but KR Models has the following address in its on line presence:

"KR Models, 166 Marlborough PL NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5T 1Y6 Canada"

So not a PO address.  I have no problem with it being a Canadian address since it is a Canadian company.  There is nothing specially reassuring about a physical UK address.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Spamcam you might have been referring to the past, or you may not be up to date but KR Models has the following address in its on line presence:

Ah fair enough Colin, seems I am behind the times there; still in he wrong country from a consumer protection point of view though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

There is nothing specially reassuring about a physical UK address.

35 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

There is Colin, the UK address would be subject to distance selling regulations, a Canadian one isn't. 

DJ Models had a physical UK address.  Just saying. 

I have confidently purchased from shops in Germany and France with no problems.

Canada has its own consumer protection laws including distance selling.

• Agree 1