Gloatbox Exchange

Pixie

Not an exchange, but a sale. Is anyone interested to purchase this old Grafar 0-6-0ST Austerity / J94? I am thinking £25 with free shipping. The chassis wasn't running very smoothly before dismantling it. The driving gear is new, as is the detailing kit from RT Models. The wheels are from the late Neil Ballantine.

My plan was to replace the motor, as Mark explained in the "Whatever happened to British Oak?" post, but I am no longer interested in this conversion. All the components in the picture below are included.

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Valentin,

Is that N Gauge/2mm scale?  I would be interested in getting it if it is please as I still don't have a loco for my diorama yet.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42

3 hours ago, Royal42 said:

Hi Valentin,

Is that N Gauge/2mm scale?  I would be interested in getting it if it is please as I still don't have a loco for my diorama yet.

cheers,
Mike

Hey Mike,

This is an old Graham Farish (GRAFAR, Poole) 1:148 scale model. The wheels are finescale. If your track is not built according to 2FS standards, this little engine won't reliably run on "Peco-like" rails.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Valentin,

that's good news as I have converted my track work from N Gauge and am rebuilding it with 2FS.  I am following the Templot tutorials and have started a couple of the templates.  As such, that model looks to be fine for me please; especially as it is probably the only working loco that I shall be able to afford.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42

Hello Mike,

I wanted to send the below as a private message; then I thought maybe other fine scale modellers, more experienced than me, could bring more information for you to make an educated decision, so I am replying here.

I am happy to post the locomotive to you, but I don't want you to be dissapointed - I would categorize the current state of the model as a "non-runner". This conversion is not for an absolute beginner to 2FS, and some work is required to have it satisfactory running:

• the middle axle wheels require quartering
  • the connecting rods need to be held in place by a washer (or other means) to the crank pins fitted to the wheels
  • pick-up P/B wires will have to be soldered to the PCB keeper plate
  • there is a big chance the motor will not run smooth, a better one might be required (I am happy to add, free of charge, a new, so called "Graham Farish clone motor")
  • fitting the body to the chassis requires some work

Regards,

Valentin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for this update Valentin.  Yes, I am an absolute newbie to 2FS; however, I have to start somewhere and your model should be a good training piece to build/rebuild.  I would be grateful to receive any bits that go with it, such as the clone motor please. 

All the best,
Mike

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2021 at 17:57, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi Sithlord,

I'll have to check my boxes but I think I have the lon version somewhere.

I'll pm you if I find it.

Phil H

Hi there,

No joy this end - the remaining brake van etches I have are for the Queen Mary van.

Upside of this is that it means I have 2 of each built - just where they are is the question?

Phil H

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Royal42 said:

Thank you for this update Valentin.  Yes, I am an absolute newbie to 2FS; however, I have to start somewhere and your model should be a good training piece to build/rebuild.  I would be grateful to receive any bits that go with it, such as the clone motor please. 

All the best,
Mike

PM sent.

On 19/05/2021 at 10:42, Valentin said:

Hello Mike,

I wanted to send the below as a private message; then I thought maybe other fine scale modellers, more experienced than me, could bring more information for you to make an educated decision, so I am replying here.

I am happy to post the locomotive to you, but I don't want you to be dissapointed - I would categorize the current state of the model as a "non-runner". This conversion is not for an absolute beginner to 2FS, and some work is required to have it satisfactory running:

• the middle axle wheels require quartering
  • the connecting rods need to be held in place by a washer (or other means) to the crank pins fitted to the wheels
  • pick-up P/B wires will have to be soldered to the PCB keeper plate
  • there is a big chance the motor will not run smooth, a better one might be required (I am happy to add, free of charge, a new, so called "Graham Farish clone motor")
  • fitting the body to the chassis requires some work

Regards,

Valentin

Valentin,

I see that Mike beat me to it, but if he doesn't end up taking the loco or ends up deciding it doesn't suit him, then I think I can make something of it.

Sam.

Edited by Sam Kennion
Typo, grammar, punctuation.

7 hours ago, Sam Kennion said:

Valentin,

I see that Mike beat me to it, but if he doesn't end up taking the loco or ends up deciding it doesn't suit him, then I think I can make something of it.

Sam.

Hello Sam,

I'm afraid the J94 model is on its way to Mike. Hopefully he will make good use of it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some years ago Bill Bedford used to do etched coach sides in 2mm, they sadly are long discontinued. Im particularly after an LMS period 2 twelve wheel Diner to D1718/1810/1811 if anybody has a set.

Im not sure what else Bill did but I'd be interested in any other MR or early LMS coaches he did, particularly the panelled period 1 stock.

Jerry

I recently found a 5522 models etch for a D1720 (if I remember correctly) BCK in a box of R-T-R 4mm wagons. This is a period II vehicle according to a website I just looked at, so likely not much good to Jerry based on his request. Is anyone else interested to build it? 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

I recently found a 5522 models etch for a D1720 (if I remember correctly) BCK in a box of R-T-R 4mm wagons. This is a period II vehicle according to a website I just looked at, so likely not much good to Jerry based on his request. Is anyone else interested to build it? 

I'd be happy to take it off your hands Richard.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

My reason for asking is that I have a long(ish) term plan to build a couple of Pines rakes for my out of period locos – things like Black 5, West Country and 9F. I have a c.1960 Pines which is mostly Mk1s but with a solitary Gresley coach and a Stanier D1923 Diner from Chris Higgs.

I also have most of an early 1950s Pines which is three parts Stanier (Farish/Chris Higgs) with a couple of Period 2 LMS coaches included for variety, one of which is a Bill Bedford RTO. The rake is short of a restaurant car and a Period 2 D1811 or similar would be perfect.

Im not in any particular rush its just I was inspired to track down the missing elements of the rake having seen John Aldrick’s latest beauties which includes one of the LMS Diners.

If a Bedford one doesn’t turn up then Worsley is a good shout, as others have said, Alan is generally very accommodating when it comes to requests and he already offers a D1811 in 3mm.

My request for Period 1 sides is because although my main period extends up to the end of the S&D blue livery in 1930 I don’t have any period 1 coaches which started entering service in 1924 so one or two would be useful.

Cheers Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

Sounds like an ideal project for a first attempt at etch design, Jerry....:read::paint:

Andy

It probably would be Andy and I have promised myself I will learn basic CAD one of these days but at the moment I'm too busy making things.

Jerry

17 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Can you do etch design with a clay tablet and stylus?

Are you implying Jerry is either very old, or some sort of finescale prophet that has come down from a mountain ( or hillock in other popular scales) with the 2mm general appendix to the modeller’s rule book?

49 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Are you implying Jerry is either very old, or some sort of finescale prophet that has come down from a mountain ( or hillock in other popular scales) with the 2mm general appendix to the modeller’s rule book?

I suspect Kevin was referring to Jerry being something of a self-confessed technophobe (although I was impressed with the speed at which he got the hang of the 'Zoom' software last spring, even if there were a few "Kim, how do I do this..." moments during the first few ZAG meetings).

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 1

I’m sure Jerry would look pretty impressive if he went all Charton Heston with a long beard and flowing robes plus a suitably painted backscene (Charlton viaduct perhaps)....or maybe if he’s trying to recover the ten 2mm commandments from the lost modellers’ gloat box of the covenant a bit Henry Jones Jr with a fedora and whip!

• Funny 3

45 minutes ago, drduncan said:

I’m sure Jerry would look pretty impressive if he went all Charton Heston with a long beard and flowing robes plus a suitably painted backscene (Charlton viaduct perhaps)....or maybe if he’s trying to recover the ten 2mm commandments from the lost modellers’ gloat box of the covenant a bit Henry Jones Jr with a fedora and whip!

I worry about people sometimes....

Julia.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drduncan said:

I’m sure Jerry would look pretty impressive if he went all Charton Heston with a long beard and flowing robes........

There was a spell during lockdown when I couldn't get to the hairdressers that I started to resemble that remark...... until Kim got her scissors out!

Andy's right, I'm not great with technology although given the time I'm sure I could learn the basics - there just always seems to be another etch that needs building.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1