The new V2 ep

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

One thing which has just caught my eye is the lining on the rearmost cladding crinoline, this appears on both BR late crest V2s released but is absent on the BR black version.

Wasn't this lining normally absent, i.e. that particular crinoline plain green?

5 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Wasn't this lining normally absent, i.e. that particular crinoline plain green?

There was no lining there when the V2s were shopped at Doncaster but when Darlington took over the overhauls, they did line that band.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 00:14, Dominion said:

Not the drawbar, but I have got rid of the crabbing.

The white part in the attached photo is a piece of evergreen strip.

6.2mm wide, 0.4 thick and about 13.5 mm long.

It is just inserted between the front of the tender draw bar and the tip of the petal shaped 2 lobe hole at the front of the tender chassis.

It has the effect of making a flat bearing face for the tender draw bar, so load does not create any tendency to pull left or right. 

So far it has stayed in place nicely with no fixing mechanism, just a snug fit.

The bottom edge is sitting just above the forward projection of the draw bar.

I inserted it with tweezers from the top as I had the top plate off anyway.

There is a fine spring in there which I have not bothered to reinsert as the plastic strip is holding the draw bar to back of its travel anyway.

The loco just pulled 10 Bachmann and Hornby lit Pullmans with no crabbing.

Tom

PS 0.75mm was too thick. 0.5mm might work but I didn't have any in stock.

Also it may be possible to insert it from the underside without disassembly though I have not tried that yet.

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Just to confirm this method does work with 0.5mm plastic card. I experienced the same crabbing problem and this little workaround solved it! Besides this problem I an very impressed with my two, they run beautifully and can certainly take a heavy load with ease. A third is on its way from Rails, all their 60964 exclusive edition.

13881508_DSCN0394(2).JPG.7db4cc16dd0f53154e82693d8d90a3bb.JPG

272700342_DSCN0352(2).JPG.9bbc1f93a39cf5ea168222cc65e6f1b2.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2022 at 13:14, 60800 said:

@Dominion

Is there any chance you'd be able to re-post them for the rest of us please? 🙂

Cheers,

As requested I have found and added back the photos, to the original posts.

Page 17 of this thread, Jan 24th. Not as brave as the more adventurous approaches shown by others but it is still working, and will do for me for now.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just bumping this thread  - currently good value in the TMC sale, extra 15% off using code SUMMER until the end of today. I've had reservations about this model at full list price but just bought a sound fitted example for £224 at which price point I can live with the aforementioned reservations :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Just bumping this thread  - currently good value in the TMC sale, extra 15% off using code SUMMER until the end of today. I've had reservations about this model at full list price but just bought a sound fitted example for £224 at which price point I can live with the aforementioned reservations :)

Hi Mike, I too got one at  local exhibition. Not sound equipped. Yes the valvegear is heavy and that smoke box is a little bit of an irritant. But it's better than went  before. I hope to attend to the smoke box once I've had a chat with Tim Easter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, davidw said:

Hi Mike, I too got one at  local exhibition. Not sound equipped. Yes the valvegear is heavy and that smoke box is a little bit of an irritant. But it's better than went  before. I hope to attend to the smoke box once I've had a chat with Tim Easter

I'm looking at it as £100 for the loco and £120 for the chip, looking forward to hearing that 6 beats to the revolution chatter, it will make a change form droning Deltics :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I'm looking at it as £100 for the loco and £120 for the chip, looking forward to hearing that 6 beats to the revolution chatter, it will make a change form droning Deltics :)

Thats good value then!

• Like 2

I'm afraid I've only just come late to this topic so apologies if I'm asking a question that already been answered, but I've just taken delivery of a new Bachmann V2, a lovely looking model that I've been promising myself for a some time, not least because my late father was fireman on one during the 1940s. However, I was very disappointed to discover that her tender derails repeatedly on my 2nd radius curves making her unusable. I have rechecked my trackwork and it isn't at fault, and I have many other locos which negotiate the curves without a problem. I can only assume it's a design issue with this model so I'd be very grateful to hear of other people's experiences and solutions they have come up with. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, howardpidd said:

I can only assume it's a design issue

What is the back to back measurement on each of the tender wheelsets?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, howardpidd said:

I don't know. 

Go and measure them, ideally with a micrometer.

They should be 14.4 - 14.5mm, if they are not then adjust them.

25 minutes ago, howardpidd said:

I don't know. 

If you have several other locomotives and have never had a problem then you have been very lucky. It is fairly standard practise to check the B to B on any locomotibe before running it. It is a point that you should know. I do not now much about the new V2 but in general a bit more weight in the tender helps.

Bernard 

1 hour ago, howardpidd said:

I'm afraid I've only just come late to this topic so apologies if I'm asking a question that already been answered, but I've just taken delivery of a new Bachmann V2, a lovely looking model that I've been promising myself for a some time, not least because my late father was fireman on one during the 1940s. However, I was very disappointed to discover that her tender derails repeatedly on my 2nd radius curves making her unusable. I have rechecked my trackwork and it isn't at fault, and I have many other locos which negotiate the curves without a problem. I can only assume it's a design issue with this model so I'd be very grateful to hear of other people's experiences and solutions they have come up with. 

If you've fitted the cab doors these will foul. If you've fitted the brake pulls to the tender these too will foul. You can check these by seeing how much play is in the rather large coupling device Bachmann have chosen to employ. I think Tim Easter mentioned these a little while back. A little experimenting should sort it. Hope that helps.

Oh I should add. If you're really stuck the Bachmann service line is really helpful

Edited by davidw
Addition
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

There's no point trying to assist you if that's the attitude. You asked for solutions and starting points have been given. Either do what's been suggested or get in touch with the retailer.

I'm done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

For those who bought the new V2, how is the loco to tender connection holding up? I have been considering adding one to my collection but the connection had concerned me a little.

I suggest you read this thread from page 17, there's a lot of info about the drawbar. Also some work arounds.

I have 2 of the new V2's, and with more than six Hornby Pullmans, the tender starts yawing. So, personally, not a fan!

But I liked the first one enought to order a second, so.... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Thanks, I suspected that drawbar would be an issue! I don't tend to run long trains though so may be alright.

Question on the V2 in real life, would the V2 ever have operated on 'smaller' main lines, or even branch lines? My future layout will be based on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, and I was wondering whether the V2 would ever have been feasibly seen on such a line.

They weren't really used on secondary and branch lines as they had a high axle loading, being classified RA9 under the LNER Route Availability classification scheme, the same as Pacifics.  So they weren't used in East Anglia, for example.  A couple of examples of a secondary main lines they were used on though were York-Scarborough, and also York-Sheffield via Pontefract.  I have seen pictures of them on the Alnmouth-Alnwick branch with 2 coach trains, although I think that was only on quite a limited scale at the end of steam (and the last days of the branch).  The RCTS Locomotives of the LNER says that one was used on the Richmond branch for the Fridays Only Catterick Camp-King's Cross forces leave train, running tender first to Eryholme Junction where it joined the main line and the loco ran round to head south. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Thanks, I suspected that drawbar would be an issue! I don't tend to run long trains though so may be alright.

Question on the V2 in real life, would the V2 ever have operated on 'smaller' main lines, or even branch lines? My future layout will be based on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, and I was wondering whether the V2 would ever have been feasibly seen on such a line.

The V2 has visited the NYMR from recollection.

Otherwise, Rule 1 applies! 😊