Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s putting my mini Lynton to shame! :) Station building is going to be stunning when done. 

Thanks but still a way to go. Someone suggested a silhouette cutter for the windows but there aren't too many to do individually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I decided to get the fascia panels from local timber merchants. They cut it to the desired width which is handy. I then trimmed it to the contours.

The bridge will soon be glued in place then ballasting can commence as far as the platforms.

20200228_172839.jpg.ffe354ca2be7753c18014d4034cfd96f.jpg

I also took the first resin casting out of the mould for the signal cabin. However one side of the roof overhang wasn't formed so will have another go over the weekend. The finish appears to be good though, so will give this first casting a coat of primer to show up any defects.

20200228_172944.jpg.8c90cc603e49601769089cb2c86fc8a9.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Today I decided to build the weighbridge hut that was at the entrance to the station approach road. It is shown on the trackplan in the book Drawn and Measured but to date I have not seen nay photos of this structure and it is long gone.

However in the book is a drawing of the timber one that was in Pilton yard in Barnstaple, so I have based the model on this one. It just requires a door knob then I plan to do a mould of this as per the signal cabin. This weighbridge hut should be easier to do. if the experiment works with both moulds then it will make it more efficient casting two or more resin items at the same time.

__LFCNUn.jpeg.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul.

A few more photos taken yesterday evening after ballasting had commenced and more filer put down in the goods yard.

There is generally a slope so this has been created using thin off cuts of MDF and ply then contoured with the filler.

The one odd thing is that the weighbridge appears to be on the slope of the approach road according to the plans and the road really was that steep in all the photos that I have seen before they rerouted it to the car park that is now on the trackbed.

20200302_195552.jpg

20200302_195540.jpg

20200302_150634.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I managed to get most of the brick edging to the platforms fabricated and glued in place. Just one length left to glue down on the Lynton bound platform.

Also the Concrete cover over the point rodding whic runs under the platform from the signal cabin has been fabricated and glued in place. I am hoping to paint these early tomorrow morning then once dry, I will mask them and then start laying the platform surface using coloured filler.

Also the buffer stop at the end of the goods shed siding has been fabricated from rail.

After the platform surface is completed I will then fit the point rodding between the two platform tracks then ballasting can be completed.

However things will slow down for a few days as its Freemo South this weekend so my HO scale Florida layout will be in use.

20200305_202432.jpg

20200305_202356.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

>>>Also the Concrete cover over the point rodding whic runs under the platform from the signal cabin has been fabricated and glued in place....

But what about the gap under the platform edging whence the rodding actually emerges?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RailWest said:

>>>Also the Concrete cover over the point rodding whic runs under the platform from the signal cabin has been fabricated and glued in place....

But what about the gap under the platform edging whence the rodding actually emerges?

That will be cut once I have photos of the one at Woody Bay as unfortunately I only had photos of the brick edge that passes over it. I think that it will be hardly noticeable once rodding is run up to it and then ballasted so it may just be painted black.

I do have an old photo of Blackmoor form the up platform but there just doesn't appear to be a gap. There must be something but being a low res photo is not clear.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Progress has continued this week on the platform edging.

However the boards are now down for further work underneath and also to timber fascia to the fiddleyard.

So far a number of successful resin castings have been produced after reviewing how the resin is mixed and poured. After three good castings a fourth has been poured today in between working on the new silhouette cutter to produce windows for the station. Still a long way to go learning how to use the cutter but at least one window is now suitable for fixing into the building.

Also the water tower is under way.

20200309_093857.jpg

20200312_133257.jpg

20200312_154302.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

This morning I finally cut the last of the doors (bar one that will be a plain door) and windows for the station. Still a lot to learn about the silhouette cutter but at leat it's been put to good use and saved a lot of time doing these.

The Stables will be next to get windows and there is a lot of them on the rear of the building.

20200314_114640.jpg

20200314_114703.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

With the layout currently down so work can continuee on the fiddleyard I have been working on the water tower and the stables.

The water tower base just requires the stone arches above the doors and windows despite the lintols, doors and framing before it can be painted. The actual water tank will be the next item to try and do on the Silhouette cutter as it has raised lettering on the sides.

The triangular piece on the workbench to the right of the water tower is the gable end for the station.It is awaiting the horizontal bars to be fitted  before fitting in place

20200318_195048.jpg.887c3aa6cc6a528534e73d930e4db0e1.jpg

The stable block is now almost ocmplete after adding the windows. The roof will have more shading and weathering added.

20200315_161505.jpg.3bf9a5f6d97c976eb8d46a5c9c497b3d.jpg

20200315_161519.jpg.df16fca0876c81bda52c0e99b04a67b6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Adrian.

Now plenty of time to work on the layout with pub trips suspended for a while and all shows cancelled till at least mid Summer for now.

Just a small amount of work so far today on the vent to the station gable end.

20200319_123301.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Today I finally managed to produce the water tank sides.

The lettering should be raised but using the Silhouette cutter to score the styrene is has given it a raised effect. So once painted it should look as if its raised.

The tank is now left to set and tomorrow I hope to add the pipework aswell as the arches above the windows and doors before painting can commence.

20200322_195618.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

With day 4 of the Covid19 lockdown and being sunny I have been busy in the garden but work has continued on the layout.

The water tower is now nearing completion with just the valve mechanism and water level gauge to add before putting the 'water' in the tank using resin.

There's been a bit of debate on a couple of Facebook sites as to what colour the metal tank was, some saying green and others grey. For now I have settled on grey

Also the weighbridge building has been painted

20200327_173514.jpg

20200327_175034.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Work has continued on the layout in the last few days with the lamp room hut now constructed and after making a mould of it for casting resin ones for potential sale, the hut is now in primer coat.

However the first show for the layout at Woking in September has been cancelled due to the uncertainty of the virus situation. A shame but fully understandable.

So at present the first show is the High Wycombe Wycrail in November show now cancelled. There is no intention of slowing progress on the layouts construction but does give me more time for any tweeking and fingers crossed, EDM models will be back with their online shop so that I can get more sound decoders for the Manning and Wardle locos.

More photos to follow in the next day or two.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit lore progress in recent days despite being side tracked building a high levrl test circuit in the shed.

I have now commenced the bedrooms in the upper level of the station building. It's a bit of guess work together with using drawings for Lynton Station. However colours and furniture is just pure guesswork.

Water using resin has bern added to the water tank.

Also the store next to the Stables is more guessing as I have yet to find any photos or pland of this so have based it on the stores that used yo stand next to the station building but we're demolished prior to 1930.

Lastly the lamp store is the second casting from the mould and just requires the doors painting prior to adding signage.

This leaves just one more building to be started. That's the coal office and store attached to the stables.

FB_IMG_1586114294737.jpg

FB_IMG_1586114309819.jpg

FB_IMG_1586114327780.jpg

FB_IMG_1586114321853.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

not a lot done to the layout in the last few weeks due to time being spent installing a test circuit in the shed but now that is working (with 34081 '92 Squadron' being run in) I have now set up the yard board and temporarily positioned the store and lamp hut.

I have yet to find any photos of the store so this is an assumption for now. The lamp hut still existed as of February 2019 as I managed to catch it  in a photo that I took at the time.

20200418_193127.jpg.370c3ec52a7eb9f9f47e3d643bfd1d48.jpg

20200418_193142.jpg.7445b6e8a2dea078dca9d2fde7819c4e.jpg

I ave also made a start on the coal store and office but now need to find a photo someone sent me of it from the air when the roof had disappeared to be able to position the rear wall more accurately so just the basic store and rear walls propped up for now.

20200418_193146.jpg.e2f0c6bc38e19aaf65565d033b4686a0.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress on the layout the last few days.

The lamp store now has two of the three signs fitted. These are from Narrow Planet but still trying to find who might do an SR no smoking sign for the third sign on the right hand door.

Also more progress on the coal store although I am jot really sure if the front open wall is correct as it might be meant yo be the rear wall but it's not clear in photos or on the drawing.

20200423_143432.jpg

20200423_103835.jpg

20200423_103856.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress on the coal store over the weekend. It's now ready for final stone painting plus the window frame etc.

The layout will be set up again in the next few days so that the scenic works can continue.

20200427_110422.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1