What number should my Janus have?

ColinK

• RMweb Premium

On another thread someone has painted a Janus shunter in BR green resulting in the question, ‘what would it look like in BR blue?’  As I had a Jauns put aside for using the chassis on a narrow gauge loco, I took up the challenge and painted it blue.

778E8A14-64B8-4B3C-A98B-EF9AC1CECF0A.jpeg.51865ca265ce99ae917698381e817b9d.jpeg

Obviously this assumes BR bought some and they lasted into the blue period. But if they did, what numbers would they carry?  Any suggestions welcome. 

I painted the loco by first removing the BP logos then giving it a thin coat of Tamyia acrylic white.  The grey roof, yellow ends and BR blue are from the new Lifecolor BR paint set. I found they were great for airbrushing and didn’t really need any thinner, but not so good for brushing as they are too thin.  The black is Tamyia NATO black.

• Like 1

The original TOPS class numbers were ordered according to horsepower (with one exception; Class 13 where they kept it in order with the similar 350hp shunters) so 400hp would make it a Class 14. Of course, that would then shift the Actual Classes 14 to 17 up a number each.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Class 97 was used by BR as a catch all for departmental locos; 976xx was a series of 0-6-0 shunters (diesel electric version of the 04) for example.

For mainline locos the third digit was usually the old loco class/type number (e.g. Type 2 class 31s were 972xx). Shunters were usually 978xx. So, I'd either go to 970xx or 978xx.

Steven B.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ColinK said:

On another thread someone has painted a Janus shunter in BR green resulting in the question, ‘what would it look like in BR blue?’  As I had a Jauns put aside for using the chassis on a narrow gauge loco, I took up the challenge and painted it blue.

778E8A14-64B8-4B3C-A98B-EF9AC1CECF0A.jpeg.51865ca265ce99ae917698381e817b9d.jpeg

Obviously this assumes BR bought some and they lasted into the blue period. But if they did, what numbers would they carry?  Any suggestions welcome. 

I painted the loco by first removing the BP logos then giving it a thin coat of Tamyia acrylic white.  The grey roof, yellow ends and BR blue are from the new Lifecolor BR paint set. I found they were great for airbrushing and didn’t really need any thinner, but not so good for brushing as they are too thin.  The black is Tamyia NATO black.

Looking good! I really am going to have to purchase another to do a blue one...

Just thinking in an alternate reality/my head id pop it into tops class 12 perhaps? Did any real class 12s carry tops numbers? Having a football night so wont be up at me dads for ref materials.

Top work!

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

All the Class numbers from 01 to 17 were used in the 1968 scheme, though actually applying the TOPS numbers happened about 5 years later by which time there were gaps, however that does not really answer the question as to what it would have been had it existed because it would have been decided when they made up the original list. Side-stepping it by making it a departmental loco is a good way round it, though they got TOPS numbers applied even later (and overall yellow on most). You could use PWM655/97655 as the next available number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because that would take it out of power sequence. It's more powerful than the standard 350hp DE types, but less powerful than the Teddy Bear and the subsequent Bo-Bo type 1s. The only exception to the sequence in the original 1968 scheme was the paired 'master/slave' Class 13, probably because they were basically the same as Classes 08-12 otherwise. It would be interesting to know how much discussion that caused when drawing up the Class list.

Of course, now class numbers for new build locos are applied rather randomly as they come along, but that would not have been the case back in the '60s.

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Because that would take it out of power sequence. It's more powerful than the standard 350hp DE types, but less powerful than the Teddy Bear and the subsequent Bo-Bo type 1s. The only exception to the sequence in the original 1968 scheme was the paired 'master/slave' Class 13, probably because they were basically the same as Classes 08-12 otherwise. It would be interesting to know how much discussion that caused when drawing up the Class list.

Of course, now class numbers for new build locos are applied rather randomly as they come along, but that would not have been the case back in the '60s.

That would certainly be true if the Janus had come along at the same time as the other classes were allocated, but I am assuming the Janus has come along after that, so has to take the next available slot, regardless of its lower power.

I know what you mean about the modern allocations being seemingly haphazard. 

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

BR did trial one - the second built (2595 of 1956) so in alternative universe BR then ordered  them instead of more 08s

And in that alternative universe the classes would have been different as a result:

Janus = Class 14

Teddy Bear = Class 15

BTH type 1 = Class 16

NB type 1 = Class 17

Clayton = Class 18

Simple.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

And in that alternative universe the classes would have been different as a result:

Janus = Class 14

Teddy Bear = Class 15

BTH type 1 = Class 16

NB type 1 = Class 17

Clayton = Class 18

Simple.

Even simpler they could be class 13 as they would have been in 1956 years before 1965 when the 08 locomotives were converted for Tinsley.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Even simpler they could be class 13 as they would have been in 1956 years before 1965 when the 08 locomotives were converted for Tinsley.

The year isn't relevant as the TOPS numbering was a new start for the numbers, not based on age at all, but the power rating, however class 13 is a possibility if the actual Class 13 were (as it logically should have been) separated off from the other similar 350hp engines and put in installed hp order. That would give:

Janus = Class 13

Teddy Bear = Class 14

350DE master/slave = Class 15

BTH type 1 = Class 16

NB type 1 = Class 17

Clayton = Class 18

So 13 001 (or any 13 0xx series number, according to class size) is possible. Can't see why it would be 13 501 though, unless there are other sub-type of Janus locos. I don't think there were any xx 5xx TOPS numbers on any classes before the 1980s. xx 4xx series numbers were used for ETH fitted locos, but that wouldn't be relevant for a shunter.

Edited by BernardTPM

• RMweb Premium

Loco now numbered.  I went with 18074 because it was easy to make up from the transfers I had, 181 and 074.

52CE310A-2872-4955-9477-F42035B9627F.jpeg.86de523192467bb46fcd424436d78f5a.jpeg

I did have problems with the other side; some of the paint came off the cabside after I had put the transfer on leaving a white area.  As I had no spare 18 transfer, I moved the number  lower and when dry touched up the paint. I’ve ordered some nameplates from Narrow Planet will go nicely above the number on that side. Not sure yet where they will go on this side, probably on leading bonnet or underframe. Will be quote a while before they arrive.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Just noticed Hattons have the Janus in Allied Steel & Wire blue for £49.  That version already has the wasp stripes on the bonnet ends so it should be much easier to put into BR livery.

Oh now that is very tempting! Think ill see how money after xmas though..... 

Ta for the heads up

James

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Someone did suggest I should name my blue Janus ‘Hugh’.   Well the nameplates arrived today and I’ve just fitted them.  They have had to go in different places on each side due to where I had positioned the numbers, not a problem as you can’t see both sides at once.  Getting the hand rails back on was challenging.

98E4969F-5E10-4653-8270-A302178ADA07.jpeg.6c5a8b5178e8c42ddecc38edde05565e.jpeg

05AD22EE-B02F-4FAC-A579-A5B15642C4C3.jpeg.a92c495b514a4863493e264882d24c00.jpeg

It really needs to be sound fitted to work on my layout which is at the Chapel-en-le-Frith exhibition next weekend.  Somewhere I have a sound fitted British Steel model, does anyone know if I can simply swap the sound and non-sound chassis?

After that it needs some weathering to finish the job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

4 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Someone did suggest I should name my blue Janus ‘Hugh’.   Well the nameplates arrived today and I’ve just fitted them.  They have had to go in different places on each side due to where I had positioned the numbers, not a problem as you can’t see both sides at once.  Getting the hand rails back on was challenging.

98E4969F-5E10-4653-8270-A302178ADA07.jpeg.6c5a8b5178e8c42ddecc38edde05565e.jpeg

05AD22EE-B02F-4FAC-A579-A5B15642C4C3.jpeg.a92c495b514a4863493e264882d24c00.jpeg

It really needs to be sound fitted to work on my layout which is at the Chapel-en-le-Frith exhibition next weekend.  Somewhere I have a sound fitted British Steel model, does anyone know if I can simply swap the sound and non-sound chassis?

After that it needs some weathering to finish the job.

Love the name! Forgot about the chapel exhibition ill see if i can bob down to see you Hugh Janus haha!

Id imagine a chassis swap would be feasible but depends on the sound gubbins internally, looks great Colin.

Now, i best clear my desk of freightliners and get a blue one done.

Cheers

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The blue Janus now has sound.  

I found my sound fitted British Steel Jauns and got the chassis out, it did fit in the blue Janus without any modifications, but the yellow wheels didn’t look right.  Examining the chassis revealed that it should be quite simple to move the DCC chip and speaker to the blue chassis.

7410CE98-643C-4D11-8706-F4B3B7440C95.jpeg.52018fb64ffa9a974e4597f8403ddd51.jpeg

Bits of what looked like masking tape were holding everything in place, speaker on the right in the photo above, chip on the left and a bit of tape holding the wires in the middle.  So I removed the tape, unplugged the chip and detached the speaker and transferred them to the blue chassis, then secured them with Tamyia masking tape.  The blanking plug from the blue Janus went in the yellow chassis.  Everything worked.  Bodies back on and everything still worked, success.