LZV200/LH101 Programming track issue

Bucoops

On 22/05/2021 at 16:18, Bucoops said:

What contact method did you use to contact Zimo as it wouldn't hurt for me to do the same.

Zimo just told me another MX600 customer had contacted them. If this was you, thanks for the support 

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, philg said:

Zimo just told me another MX600 customer had contacted them. If this was you, thanks for the support 

Yes I was just about to say they say one other person has reported the issue. They have asked some questions which I will try and answer tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Ok, all 3 of my MX600s are 37.8

Two came from Coastal and one from Digitrains. I will ask if Coastal are able to do all 3 for me.

Confirmation

my v40.5 MX600R arrived this morning and behaves perfectly. So it does seem the issue was a firmware problem with Zimo somewhere

Kudos to them for pursuing even after suggesting that it “had” to be a Lenz problem

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, philg said:

Confirmation

my v40.5 MX600R arrived this morning and behaves perfectly. So it does seem the issue was a firmware problem with Zimo somewhere

Kudos to them for pursuing even after suggesting that it “had” to be a Lenz problem

Updating the decoders is quick if you have the relevant hardware to hand.  Can be done either to decoder (fitted to a decoder testing unit), or in a loco.     Updating hardware would include:  Zimo's MXULF, MXDECUP and their command stations, and the Roco Z21 (able to do most Zimo decoders, but not quite all of them). 

A shop has a cost of time - opening package, putting onto updater, loading software, doing the update, repacking for posting back again. So its not unreasonable to expect a shop to make a charge for their time. 

It sounds like its a compatibility/settings problem.  The Lenz system is at one end of the settings, and the Zimo at the other.  So, put two things at the ends together and they don't quite fit.    But, use the same decoder on a different system and its fine (that system has differences), or use a different decoder on the Lenz system and its fine.    The update clearly slightly alters something, enough to bring them back into alignment. 

-  Nigel 

4 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Roco Z21 (able to do most Zimo decoders, but not quite all of them).

AFAIK it can do all Zimo decoders, but it's not documented.

I've been able to update all my Zimo decoders including those that are "not supported" on my Z21.

Regards,

John P

4 hours ago, philg said:

Confirmation

Good to know that the firmware update has addressed the problem.

I have had a couple of issues with Zimo decoders that have been resolved by updating the firmware. It's just serendipity that I use a Z21, so I can do the updates myself.

Regards,

John P

1 hour ago, jpendle said:

AFAIK it can do all Zimo decoders, but it's not documented.

I've been able to update all my Zimo decoders including those that are "not supported" on my Z21.

Regards,

John P

You can update the firmware on all Zimo decoders using the Z21

• RMweb Gold

I posted my 3 off to Coastal this morning, and also ordered 2 more (so I hope this fixes it :D). I'd forgotten how "well" I'd installed them - that was fun getting them out of the locos. Fortunately I hadn't decided to hardwire any...

• RMweb Gold

Found this article today while searching for somethimg else. It's describing problems updating Zimo decoders on the programming track with the LZV200.  In German but Google translate does a pretty good job. It also says that updating the LZV200 firmware from B4308 to B4388 solves their issue. 

I asked A&H Models about getting B4388. My email was forwarded to Lenz but I've not had a reply yet so have asked again.

A question for anyone who has the B4388 firmware already: does your LZV200 always come up offline when you first power it on?

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

My updated MX600Rs returned yesterday, will try and test today. I will also be looking to updating the Lenz firmware when I am able - please let us know what A&H come back with :)

The requirement for B4388 may have been superseded by the announcement of version 4.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/165165-lenz-lzv200-version-4-firmware/&tab=comments#comment-4470214

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, RFS said:

A question for anyone who has the B4388 firmware already: does your LZV200 always come up offline when you first power it on?

Nope

It starts up “ready to go”

But even with 4388 firmware I can only program Zimo MZ600s if THEY are at least v40 of the Zimo decoder firmware 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally made progress on getting a B4388 update stick but only after contacting Lenz directly in German! They didn't respond to my English email, but the German email got an almost instant response.

They had just sent a few update sticks to A&H Models and one is on its way to me now. If you want one then give Chris a call on 01280 701410 as there's a £2.50 charge for postage.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, RFS said:

Finally made progress on getting a B4388 update stick but only after contacting Lenz directly in German! They didn't respond to my English email, but the German email got an almost instant response.

They had just sent a few update sticks to A&H Models and one is on its way to me now. If you want one then give Chris a call on 01280 701410 as there's a £2.50 charge for postage.

I did ask him to let me know when he has some but I may have to delay it as the cambelt went on my car a couple of days ago which is not something I have budgeted for!