Help signaling layout

Hi folks I am getting to the stage in my layout build where I seriously need to think about signaling my layout it is based on the eastern region in the early sixties and I am thinking of using signals from the eckon range. However i am a little confused how to do it. Will need two aspect starter signals or will i need three aspect signals? also will platforms two and three need feathers on them ,as trains departing these platforms cross over to the down line crossing which is off the scenic board due to lack of space and is on my fiddle yard!also i know i need some ground signals but am unsure where to put them. any feedback would be gratefully received thanks

post-6194-127360993667.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I think 3 aspect signals will look more prototypical (although there would be ways of explaining away 2 aspect if it came to a push, just about :blink: ).

Assuming the other crossover is immediately beyond the visible one then no need at all for JIs (feathers) in that period.

Ground position lights (and subsidiary position lights mounted below the main aspect signals) depend to some extent on what movements are planned and whether the release crossover is worked by a ground frame (which is most likely for that period in my experience).

So you could get away with keeping the GPLs down to one reading out of what I take to be an engine siding (by the watertank) and it would be operationally useful to have one at the toe of the points leading to Platform No.3.

You might also consider adding a GPL at the toe of the facing crossover on the incoming line as it would be useful for shunt moves and would fit with Eastern practice for the period (and earlier).

Ideally all your platform starting signals should have a subsidiary position light but I don't think Eckon do that configuration? Not over difficult I think to make something but perhaps not so easy to neatly mount it to the post of the running signal? You could getaway without the subs but they would be a nice, and far more prototypical touch I think.

Hope this has helped a bit.

• RMweb Gold

One or two minor mods but otherwise ok -

1. Eliminate the GPLs at teh release crossover and ssume it is ground frame worked - far more likely for that era.

2. (assuming the pic adds ok - not exactly my thing alas) remove certain other GPLs as they are superfluous or incorrect (you only need one at a point toe) and the one for you mainlines trailing crossover would be 'off stage')

3. The platform starting signals - definitely on Platform 3 and ideally at the other platforms - should have position light subsidiaries.

post-6859-127379074863.jpg

Archived