Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

My goodness, all these new goodies, bang goes the bank balance again!!

I wonder if DJM Dave provided anything to help this project along?

I for one are happy this is happing .
I do hope DJ does not benefit one bit at all ,he nothing but bad news

John

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I wonder if Hornby will be making coaches that are articulated at both ends, so that the "cut and shut" modifications of the past are no longer needed.

I'm sure they will be.  Sadly I have only just finished off my remotored APT and 2 extra coaches (which I started off before the DJM announcement and finished after the whole project collapsed) to make a 7 car set, which doesn't look too bad.  But I guess I shall be unable to resist popping along to Hattons (which is only 2 miles from my house) to buy some of these when they are available.  As I said elsewhere, have only just done the 4 articulated coaches for my 10 car Eurostar, so that will probably happen in 2021, knowing my luck!

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

I wonder if DJM Dave provided anything to help this project along?

I asked and was specifically told no. The scan data was touted to other manufacturers but they turned it down. A very wise move as it turns out.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I asked and was specifically told no. The scan data was touted to other manufacturers but they turned it down. A very wise move as it turns out.

Well, all's well that ends well.  At least we will get brand new shiny ones.  Only things to hope for now are a decent pantograph (with the correct tilting mountings) and a decent centre mounted motor similar to the one I've build and Hornby! (listen to this please) NO TRACTION TYRES!

Perhaps, Phil, you could pass that along, please?

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

I'm sure they will be.  Sadly I have only just finished off my remotored APT and 2 extra coaches (which I started off before the DJM announcement and finished after the whole project collapsed) to make a 7 car set, which doesn't look too bad.  But I guess I shall be unable to resist popping along to Hattons (which is only 2 miles from my house) to buy some of these when they are available.  As I said elsewhere, have only just done the 4 articulated coaches for my 10 car Eurostar, so that will probably happen in 2021, knowing my luck!

Hi Dixie,

I was just looking over all of my collected pieces wondering whether to make a start on the project and now the wind in my sails seems to have dropped somewhat.

Looking on the bright side of things, at least Hornby haven't announced a Cartic-4 set, an AL1, AL2, AL3 and an AL4 or even a Gloucester class 100 so at least those projects are coming on without any news of an easy way out !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Looking on the bright side of things, at least Hornby haven't announced a Cartic-4 set, an AL1, AL2, AL3 and an AL4 or even a Gloucester class 100 so at least those projects are coming on without any news of an easy way out !

You never know what 2021 will bring!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I wonder if Hornby will be making coaches that are articulated at both ends, so that the "cut and shut" modifications of the past are no longer needed.

R40011  BR, Class 370 Advanced Passenger Train 2-car TS Coach Pack, 48203 + 48204

R40012 BR, Class 370 Advanced Passenger Train 2-car TRBS Coach Pack, 48403 + 48404

R40013  BR, Class 370 Advanced Passenger Train 2-car TU Coach Pack, 48303 + 48304

R40014 BR, Class 370 Advanced Passenger Train 2-car TF Coach Pack, 48503 + 48504

R40011A to R40014A, same as above but with different numbers

The following shows the 6 half sets, their corresponding coach number & the "R" number that corresponds to each coach/power car

Regarding the 7 unit train pack, I couldn't find  which  extra 2 coaches are in that pack. The make up of sets 1 & 2 will need some adjustment

It appears that a full 14 car set can be made with correct numbers IE half Sets 370 003 & 370 004

image.png.cfd0668e47d4cf8b3dfaaea0d9b2a040.png

Provided I haven't made any mistakes with set numbers & what Hornby are releasing then this might  be of help when making up a train

Looking forward to the release

John

PS I would like to see Hornby stagger the release of the train packs & coaches

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sandwich station said:

You'll need 2 power cars for a full set, so maybe the 7 car set has 2?

Single power car running was very rare but did happen.  One of the few historic photos of the 5 car formation:

370005 at Tring 1106hrs 19_02_1985

Just as unusual but did happen was the 6 car set with single power car.  

image.png.632710d2def2e8c00e5d39d1ae57229e.png

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ll be more than happy to go along with an all new Hornby APT. No risk to the finances and no doubt it will be a winner. And available in parts so we can all have whatever formation we want.

Now I can sort out my bits and have a clear out of all the scrap!

cheers

Shane

1 hour ago, Wolf27 said:

Now I can sort out my bits and have a clear out of all the scrap!

I've got to say though Shane that you're extra APT coaches were pretty good and my 7 car set looks not too bad whizzing around!  In the circumstances you did a great job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

An experimental coach. APT sat on articulated bogies, this one sat on dedicated bogies. I believe there was only 1 & I have seen a photo but can't find it on the net.

I do not believe it ran as part of an APT set.

It did run in APT sets but not in passenger service, in the one picture I have seen of it in use it was coupled between the power car and the Brake coach, which is the only position it could be coupled.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, royaloak said:

It did run in APT sets but not in passenger service, in the one picture I have seen of it in use it was coupled between the power car and the Brake coach, which is the only position it could be coupled.

Do you mean a bit like this?

APT 370001 at Lancaster 17th July 84'

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Hattons is wrong basically.

Rails are applying 10% discount to Hornby's MRP so 5-car becomes £356 and 7-car £437.

Based on Rail's prices a 14-car set is £779.  You will need almost 4m to fit it in though.

So with that being said would they have to honour their prices or refund them and relist at a different rate? It's tempting to pre order now but am I wasting my time..

• RMweb Gold

3 minutes ago, Harry27 said:

So with that being said would they have to honour their prices or refund them and relist at a different rate? It's tempting to pre order now but am I wasting my time..

No I very much doubt they would honour it - 'errors and omissions excepted'. The price promise is something like a 10-15% discount on release. Doubtless it will be corrected shortly.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1