Bridport Town - Carrying On

DLT

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Regularity said:

Lovely.

Apart from the typeface on the running-in board. Please say you are planning to upgrade it at some point!

Job No.127! 

Yes, the lettering is the old Slaters mouldings and needs to be redone. 

I have some etched lettering from Scalelink, but I'm not sure if that's correct.  Is there a current font that matches?

Or does somebody produce bespoke 3D Printed nameboards nowadays?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, DLT said:

Job No.127! 

Yes, the lettering is the old Slaters mouldings and needs to be redone. 

I have some etched lettering from Scalelink, but I'm not sure if that's correct.  Is there a current font that matches?

Or does somebody produce bespoke 3D Printed nameboards nowadays?

There has been discussion about this at various times, Smiths do etched 12” high letters for the post 1906 sans-serif style: WTOF03
There is a font available from the GWR e-list, see 

Also mentioned here:

Light Railway Stores do custom etched signal box name boards. Might be worth asking if they will do a running in board if you want the earlier style, but I think the Smiths etchings will do you well - maybe use the 4mm scale equivalent for smaller lettering?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - my memory has failed me.  something I should have remembered but didn't when you started construction of the platform shelter is that the pattern of construction was a fairly standard GWR approach for pre-fabricated buildings.   But far worse than that was the stark reminder I had on Monday when I spent 20 odd minutes standing right next to one while waiting for my connecting branch train home.

So a bit late to go and measure it now for Bridport but if others are interested I'll pop along some time and measure the basic panel and framing dimensions provided the Thai (or similar Far Eastern origin) young lady who staffs the refreshment counter inside the building nowadays is happy. (Buying a sausage roll might be sufficient inducement to obtain agreement and they aren't three bad).

• Like 4

Hi Dave,

I have been using a font known as Fette Egyptienne for anything requiring GWR signage etc and have found it to be a good match to my eyes.

Free downloads are widely available ont 'tinternet search engines and I pasted the font into my selection of fonts.

Not the best screen shot but I hope it gives you some idea of the style.

2095669839_ScreenShot2021-12-19at15_07_04.jpg.e664605e5117bbe2476868b07d9e3497.jpg

All the best to you and yours at this Festive time,

I have edited this post to include a photograph of said font which I used on my 7mm signal box build. Cut out using the Silhouette cutter to further show how it looks on a model

IMG_1931.jpeg.a0bef9d2f95a8f1104d76ffc2222187e.jpeg

Edited by bgman
photograph added
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the help with GW nameboards, I am in the process of following it up.

In the meantime, and at the risk of overdoing it, heres some interior views of the shelter showing the supporting girder and brackets. 

1626938381_IMG_7476Small.jpg.2aa45ef9e97537e39a11d6ea32a35864.jpg

1387426094_IMG_7477Small.jpg.20a4c35044490cbe38eabf8eee5170a3.jpg

Thought I had better include these as they are easily seen.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• RMweb Premium

While waiting for an order from Scalelink, I've been working on a laser-cut GW platelayers hut from Railmodel Kits: https://railmodel.co.uk/

My first attempt at a laser-cut kit, so its a new material for me.  I've found some parts quite awkward, such as matching up the bricks on the chimney, but that's probably my lack of experience. 

For glueing I tried a "quick-grab" glue, but it turned out to be anything but; so I used a normal PVA instead.

I am indebted to Mr Rosspop for some advice, and the excellent example shown in his gallery here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4696-rosspops-7mm-layout-re-focus-build/page/2/

1470018710_IMG_7493Small.jpg.42a549faa840c977efd5e932fa39b31b.jpg

Its described as a standard GWR hut, and I think the design was in one of the old Ericplans books many years ago.  These were drawn from prototypes in the Cheltenham area.

For the time I've spent on this and a 422 kit, I'm sure I could have made one from photos in foamboard and card in a lot less time.

Here it is on the layout:

656938264_IMG_7495Small.jpg.473a5659bcdf4213ae54641f8111d559.jpg

Or should it be this way round?  I think it looks better and breaks up the rooflines.

768360822_IMG_7496Small.jpg.25e48ec64804a4cf3e7fe1504ae6f550.jpg

It still looks better in this position than the freelance 422 Kit:

1656110427_IMG_7497Small.jpg.4b8e02cddcd52c8775c5b0fbab0d59e7.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Stick with it Dave, I'm slightly surprised you've had some problems constructing it, I've had a couple from Andy and found them to reasonable easy to construct.

I'm certain you'll make a decent model of it.

G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DLT said:

While waiting for an order from Scalelink, I've been working on a laser-cut GW platelayers hut from Railmodel Kits: https://railmodel.co.uk/

My first attempt at a laser-cut kit, so its a new material for me.  I've found some parts quite awkward, such as matching up the bricks on the chimney, but that's probably my lack of experience. 

For glueing I tried a "quick-grab" glue, but it turned out to be anything but; so I used a normal PVA instead.

I am indebted to Mr Rosspop for some advice, and the excellent example shown in his gallery here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4696-rosspops-7mm-layout-re-focus-build/page/2/

1603568428_IMG_7493Small.jpg.dc49dab4f6e8c67154293f397a6b937f.jpg

Its described as a standard GWR hut, and I think the design was in one of the old Ericplans books many years ago.  These were drawn from prototypes in the Cheltenham area.

For the time I've spent on this and a 422 kit, I'm sure I could have made one from photos in foamboard and card in a lot less time.

Here it is on the layout:

942451478_IMG_7495Small.jpg.f4e92d23e27b32b05cff9a05fcfbc347.jpg

Or should it be this way round?  I think it looks better and breaks up the rooflines.

212886492_IMG_7496Small.jpg.117e73301ceb5c99f0d186802b98e62d.jpg

It still looks better in this position than the freelance 422 Kit:

1138571173_IMG_7497Small.jpg.2daa61de7ed239505f41e7de7a7f38c3.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if doing yourself would be quicker. You would be working with familiar materials and so once you decided what was needed you would be comfortable just getting on with it.

Don

• Like 1

I think that I would have to spend some time finding my way with one of those laser cut kits, I've never seen one in the flesh let alone built one. Pretty much all of my modelling has been done in plastic, card or metal.

It wouldn't be like full scale joinery and it's not always straightforward when someone else has made the parts because they might not have broken down the construction the way that you would have yourself.

Keep at it, it's another skill learned.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was determined not to be defeated by this model, in spite of the time I've spent on it, and its now almost complete

I couldn't use my normal brick colouring method (dry brushing) on this material as it's too smooth.  So instead I used the method of painting individual bricks, which I've not tried before.  It seems to have done the trick, but I'm not sure I would like to do a large industrial building this way!

The roof has been felted with tissue paper, and the chimney flashing is quick-dry Polyfilla. 

I still like the look of it with the door facing the front, as the chimney breast is visible, (in spite of my failure to completely hide the butt-joints) but I guess this is prototypically incorrect.

1912606712_IMG_7501Small.jpg.d680b2a3a89110497aefc6dd8530652e.jpg

2065861229_IMG_7502Small.jpg.9a7c2e18df9ebec5e7c2f489a1b9e54a.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Glad to see you stuck at it Dave, the nature of the material can make it awkward to paint but you've managed to succeed.

I normally give these types of kit a waft over with a Red Oxide or Grey rattle can primer prior to painting which aids the process.

HNY 

G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get that, it's easy to be your own worst critic, but the joints in the stack aren't that noticeable. I had to blow up the image to double life size to find them. 

Going by the standard of painting on the rest of the layout, I think that nobody will ever notice. If they do, ask them to show how they did theirs! :D

We're not afraid to learn!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Man in a pub, standing - well, swaying - looks at the well-dressed gent next to him at the bar and genially asks if he is a leg man, breast men, or what?

”I’ll have you know, sir, that I am a naval officer.”

”Wow. I’ve heard of fetishes, but didn’t know you could get promoted for it…!”

Happy New Year.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2022 at 12:23, Martync said:

Had hoped to see the "new" Bridport at the Alton exhibition in Feb...obviously not now!  Have you any other shows this year??

Martyn

Yes!  Narrow Gauge South on April 23rd, Eastleigh; see here:  http://www.narrowgaugesouth.org.uk/wp/

And RMweb Members Day in Taunton the following day!   https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/164572-swag-members-day-24th-april-2022/

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Moving on to the next stage,  I'm looking at some designs for the goods exchange shed.  The three (very rough) sketches show the end view, that on the left is the existing shed with one large roof over the platform and NG.  In the middle is a version with a simple roof over the platform, and a sort of extension over the NG siding.   

That on the right is a mini-version of the Bridport branch bay canopy at Maiden Newton station; See Disused Stations here   Probably a bit elaborate for NG goods facilities, but it would be simplified and keeps the local connection.

85024507_EndViews1Small.jpg.0e6ee9574a48f6f4fe23d7e71ba21cfa.jpg

Two perspective sketches of the third version, firstly with the shed right up to the baseboard end, and secondly with a small office/store added on.

1972609358_PerspectiveViews1Small.jpg.b14ee2ab96929117d2e7f8f38eea9135.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1