Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2020 at 07:09, acg5324 said:

Finally cracked it......the rest of the ODC announcements

20FB6E58-85F1-4CE0-ADA2-0B6452585B18.jpeg

7A79E17A-52C2-4893-AAD5-9007B009E891.jpeg

3EE9730F-EC41-4D52-841E-EF4E676D0C75.jpeg

E2CC0A93-FAD8-487E-99EA-57F81C3992B4.jpeg

Invacar for me.  They were made here in Cardiff (not the city's proudest moment perhaps, and at least Newport had the Mole Wrench.  They used to do day trips to see them wrenching the moles...), and dispatched from Davis St Goods Depot on one plank opens, loaded from an end loading dock at the west end of the yard which is possibly still there under the buddlea.  They were still being sent out in the early 70s; IIRC sent from the factory on Curran Road on Scammel mechanical horse flatbeds.  They were horrible things widely regarded as death traps by those who used them, made happily obsolete by the development of controls fitted to normal cars that disabled people could use under the 'motability scheme.  They could not do much more than about 20mph, insufficient to keep out of the way even in those days, were unstable in corners especially with reverse camber, and structurally unable to withstand even low speed impacts.  If that wasn't enough, some were electric and prone to catching fire if the battery terminals got damp and shorted out, which they would do if you drove in the rain, not a lot of use if your disability meant you couldn't abandon ship quickly.

Suitable loads for 1 planker lowfits are not easy to come by, and these are ideal, delivered everywhere and anywhere from Davis St for many years.  They were available in a choice of colours so long as you wanted sky blue.  It'll make a nice change from my tractor, which seems to be delivered every few days!  I've been thinking about a water bowser but can't imaginate a use for one at Cwmdimbath.  Farm machinery is a bit of a cliche and not really suitable for Cwmdimbath, which is hill sheep farming country and a different world from the crop growing land of the Vale of Glamorgan only a few miles away as the crow flies.  Maybe a road roller, diesel by my period...

I'll probably go for one of those BR liveried GER vans as well.  Is this the first RTR pre-grouping general merchandise vehicle in a BR livery?  Actually, not, if you count the Rovex/Triang HBR van.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2020 at 08:01, Invicta said:

scooters (although some rider figures- in parkas naturally, -would have been nice for the scooters!) will be useful, 

Nice little conversion challenge there ... fix up a few scooters with an appropriate number of mirrors and lights 

mod-scooter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2020 at 18:04, The Johnster said:

Invacar for me.  They were made here in Cardiff (not the city's proudest moment perhaps, and at least Newport had the Mole Wrench.  They used to do day trips to see them wrenching the moles...), and dispatched from Davis St Goods Depot on one plank opens, loaded from an end loading dock at the west end of the yard which is possibly still there under the buddlea.  They were still being sent out in the early 70s; IIRC sent from the factory on Curran Road on Scammel mechanical horse flatbeds.  They were horrible things widely regarded as death traps by those who used them, made happily obsolete by the development of controls fitted to normal cars that disabled people could use under the 'motability scheme.  They could not do much more than about 20mph, insufficient to keep out of the way even in those days, were unstable in corners especially with reverse camber, and structurally unable to withstand even low speed impacts.  If that wasn't enough, some were electric and prone to catching fire if the battery terminals got damp and shorted out, which they would do if you drove in the rain, not a lot of use if your disability meant you couldn't abandon ship quickly.

Suitable loads for 1 planker lowfits are not easy to come by, and these are ideal, delivered everywhere and anywhere from Davis St for many years.  They were available in a choice of colours so long as you wanted sky blue.  It'll make a nice change from my tractor, which seems to be delivered every few days!  I've been thinking about a water bowser but can't imaginate a use for one at Cwmdimbath.  Farm machinery is a bit of a cliche and not really suitable for Cwmdimbath, which is hill sheep farming country and a different world from the crop growing land of the Vale of Glamorgan only a few miles away as the crow flies.  Maybe a road roller, diesel by my period...

I'll probably go for one of those BR liveried GER vans as well.  Is this the first RTR pre-grouping general merchandise vehicle in a BR livery?  Actually, not, if you count the Rovex/Triang HBR van.

Are you taking water from the river?

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:11, JSpencer said:

Those poor North Eastern modelers. First the Thompson A2s then the W1 (both styles),  now the J26 and a crane and pilchard wagons. They are going to a tough year paying that lot.

And a GER design van. I have been collecting my thoughts on dry side RTR OO releases. Dependent on the progress Bachmann make, you can stir in the new V2 which is intended to be a 2020 release; and the TMC commissioned G5 0-4-4T, and their own Thompson coaches in maroon also on their list; release dates unknown. Heljan are threatening the GNR versions of their O2  - probably a good year away - and for those looking at the 1960s steam to diesel transition they are also dangling the prospect of all new classes 45 and 47. Then there are Accurascale's classes 37 and 55, and Model Rail have commissioned a class 11.

And that's what I recall, without going to check if there is anything I have forgotten, a pretty full list already.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And a GER design van. I have been collecting my thoughts on dry side RTR OO releases. Dependent on the progress Bachmann make, you can stir in the new V2 which is intended to be a 2020 release; and the TMC commissioned G5 0-4-4T, and their own Thompson coaches in maroon also on their list; release dates unknown. Heljan are threatening the GNR versions of their O2  - probably a good year away - and for those looking at the 1960s steam to diesel transition they are also dangling the prospect of all new classes 45 and 47. Then there are Accurascale's classes 37 and 55, and Model Rail have commissioned a class 11.

And that's what I recall, without going to check if there is anything I have forgotten, a pretty full list already.

Yes, grumble & moan. I haven't seen any Great Western new product for... Well.... Weeks, actually. 

A letter to the Times. Harumph, Harumph!

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I've been suffering a glut of southern items for the past few years and it looks set that way for the next 2 years. About 20 locos, of which only 5 are non southern, 5 are 80s southern and the rest southern steam (same for rolling stock but that has calmed down this year). Of course 8 of the southern items on my order book are from 2 classes and I don't think there is anything else out there which would have my ordering several models of the same class, so I suspect in 2022 it will tail off to less than 5 a year. A danger then, is that I might do 00-9.... Still thinking about a W1 even though I have a perfectly capable kit built model of the loco.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Still thinking about a W1 even though I have a perfectly capable kit built model of the loco.

Don't do it; you'll end up being disappointed with one or the other!

As Confucius* said, "a man with a watch knows the time, a man with two watches is never certain"!

* Or it may have been someone else, after the watch had been invented. Nevertheless, (s)he was a wise (wo)man.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1