Fal Vale – 00 Southern Railway in the Antipodes

KymN

I seem to have solved the issue with the 08, with help from Kernow.  They suggested removing the decoder and trying it on analogue.  I did this and established that the problem was not with the loco.  I put the chip back and it worked, if strangely - the slowest deceleration that I have ever seen!  The next step that they suggested was to reset the factory settings (CV8 =8). All now is running well.

I have yet to put the body back on, and am a little concerned that there might have been a loose or pinched wire, but it looks good so far.  But this is a milestone - the first time that I have fixed a modern locomotive!

I am very grateful for the help that Kernow gave me, and very promptly. I have bought much of my rolling stock from them, and have always found them friendly and efficient.  And their IT works, unlike one of their competitors who always has to use workarounds to make a transaction. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I now have to report that I have just received another powered vehicle as dead as a dead dingo's donga*.

1864878993_IMG_4213(2).JPG.e5ecb67406409b50a594a521fb578268.JPG

In this case it is the Rails of Sheffield North Eastern Railway Electric Autocar, by Heljan.  It is an exquisitely detailed model, albeit mostly in the interior.  I ordered the LNER (brown) version in 2019, and it has just arrived.  Now, as a famed F1 driver once said: 'bloody thing won't go'. 

There have been a number of reports that the Next 18 decoder in these had fallen out in transit.  The first thing that I noticed on picking up the model was that it rattled.    So with the newfound bravado from my last repair, I took the body off.

Yes, the decoder was the rattle.

The decoder is back where it should be and I have a working model.  For how long I don't know - it is a fairly tenuous fit.  And I have yet to be able to control the thing.  The 'how to drive' pamphlet says to start the engine before running, and to use the brake settings to stop it.  I can't see how to turn the lights on yet.

And I know that it (there were only two built) only ran on local services in North Yorkshire and Teesside, certainly never in the South West.  But hey, Rule 1 is being applied more frequently in Fal Vale.

* 'Donga has several meanings.  #1: Dry arid scrub.  #2. Rudimentary dwelling or hut.  '#1' comes from the Boer War, and is the term I know as a South Australian.  '#2' is possibly more common elsewhere (but not in Broken Hill), and is evidently used in mining camps and the navy.  I could have used a different spelling, i.e. as in a device that goes (i.e. '----er') but that would have been rude.

Edited by KymN
Grammar
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The body is back on the 08, and it is running beautifully.  I only dislodged one very small detail 😢.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/05/2022 at 17:04, KymN said:

In this case it is the Rails of Sheffield North Eastern Railway Electric Autocar, by Heljan.

...There have been a number of reports that the Next 18 decoder in these had fallen out in transit.  The first thing that I noticed on picking up the model was that it rattled.    So with the newfound bravado from my last repair, I took the body off.

Yes, the decoder was the rattle.

In the course of this investigation I ran a couple of other locomotives to make sure that the problems weren't with the NCE controller or my wiring.  One of these, just by chance, was my Rails/Dapol/Railway Museum SECR D class.

This morning I found a decoder on my kitchen floor.  What the...  It was a Next 18 decoder - the same fitting as in the Autocar.  But it couldn't be.  The Autocar is basically a sealed unit.  Then I realised that the D class also uses the Next 18.  I have yet to look, but it seems that becoming detached is a chronic problem with the Next 18s.   At least I still have it. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am pleased to report some progress on Fal Vale.  Not before time I hear you cry .  I have been working on the Wheal Sophie Clay Dries.  The electrical droppers had been finished, so I turned to the scenery.  The track is now painted and ballasted, using a mix of fine and medium grade in a colour similar to that in the wharf yard.

1800260817_IMG_4242(2).thumb.JPG.d2a2a02c6db36f2ed8628f15223631aa.JPG

I have also applied a layer of turf to the embankment behind the dries.  I expect that this will be the first of several, as suggested by experts like Chris Nevard.  Fortunately I have found my stash of turf, grass, ballast etc. that has been packed away for decades.  It is fixed down with a mix of PVA and poster paint.

869660247_IMG_4249(2).thumb.JPG.7e824b4877c71f566de9ecb5281b9eb3.JPG

401581545_IMG_4245(3).thumb.JPG.cf563362297e63f98454fe01c260b484.JPG

The next task will be to build up the paved area and to depict the fouled ballast near the works, and to finish the electrickery.  However I shall hold off detailing the area for the time being.  I want to build the Buggleskelly yard and village (yes the silly name seems to have stuck).  I need to paint the station building, and I have the signal box in transit from the UK.  Both of these are 3D prints from Tom Marshall of Photografix.  Tom is a one man band (maybe his missus helps with the admin), but his service is outstanding.

737227035_IMG_4227(2).thumb.JPG.2a83375f6ea1214e0e748204ee06f387.JPG

• Like 8

Thanks Kym, good to see you on here and loved looking through your layout pics.  I'm very quiet on here so will try and get some photos up of the models (have asked mods if I can put a post up to promote them).  Look forward to seeing how you paint up Buggleskelly and the signal box when it reaches you :) Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I have commenced the wiring  at Wheal Sophie (connecting the droppers to the bus), that's boring and my back doesn't like it.  I have therefore started the planning  for Buggleskelly.  The track there will be Tillig.  This matches the loop line an has a slightly more open look than the Peco code 75 that is used elsewhere.  It isn't bullhead of course, but the open look helps.  

867521188_IMG_4251(2).thumb.JPG.745bf5785366dcc5da6ce9b3bdc5d001.JPG

This will complete the lower level of the Buggleskelly board (loop line & yard).  The upper level will be ply, supported on poly insulation board.  The lower yard approach is the governing point for both levels.  I wanted the Buggleskelly platform to accommodate three bogie coaches and, with a minor scenic compromise by way of a tunnel mouth at the end of the line, it can.  Even so, most of the traffic on the branch will be four and six wheelers.  The approach will also be disguised with a short tunnel.

1364056950_IMG_4255(2).thumb.JPG.1bae1670ea02111c5cf95f0f34626636.JPG

The building visible in the pics are Tom Marshall's lovely 3D prints and Buggleskelly station and signal box.  Yet to be painted.

Edited by KymN
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the branch line scenery - starting with the terrain.  This is being built up from the flat loop-line baseboard using two layers of 50mm XPS foamboard to create the upper level.  I cut the foam using my table saw to give clean cuts and angles, then shape the terrain with a hot wire cutter. 

The surface for the upper level track will be 6mm ply on top.  Further layers of foam, or possibly shaped wire mesh, will be added to create higher hills.  There will be a brook to fill the cut-out at the front.

578751616_IMG_4258(2).thumb.JPG.7d87a34258e28370f1425b340460f623.JPG

The lower (table-top) level of the loop-line will in tunnel at the rear and at the left hand (as seen by the operator) end, and most of the upper level will be as well.

357777052_IMG_4259(2).thumb.JPG.fb5396696b66965a366dd8f72029d538.JPG

There will be a short tunnel on the branch from the loop-line leading to the terminus.  This wasn't originally planned but I think that it will work better visually.  So the branch trains will run from the wharf station to enter the tunnel behind the gorge on the adjoining board. and re-emerge to run around the loop line, then branch off to the terminus. The area opposite the station is for the village between the hills and the brook.

1228764784_IMG_4261(2).thumb.JPG.fade4c04e780fd26e26a00de739b1b34.JPG

Hidden away at the higher level will be the junction to the Fiddle Yard to the left on the wall with the rack that can be seen in the pic.   At this stage the upper level junction is planned to be manually operated from the rear, but we shall see.  If point motors are used they will need to be on top of the boards because  access underneath is blocked by the foam. 

Having tried to explain this, I expect that a diagram might help! 😜 You might have to wait.  I did have a diagram when this was to be stand-alone, but lately it has been rather laissez-faire.

The purists among us may be disappointed that the branch terminus name is likely to stay as Buggleskelly.  As previously noted, I now have the model of Buggleskelly Station and signal box from Tom Marshall.

182501431_IMG_4257(2).thumb.JPG.bb6ece017c566b3a2dc1c68d96b7c6c0.JPG

As I have progressed with this project, it has become just a little less serious.  First I started to add SECR locos to the LSWR/SR fleet, then I began to add even odder machines.  But it is a hobby, meant to be a bit of fun, isn't it 😉😀 and, as I have said from the beginning, I was born in the colonies 🙃 so I don't have the sensitivities of an Englishman.  In the last week I found some lettering that I had made to add to a couple of 6-wheel tankers.  The label is for 'Buggleskelly Treacle Mines'.  Cornwall is the ideal place for such mines.  Next to a tin mine it can be brought to the surface already tinned 🤪.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Is that the stuff from Bunnings? How did you get on with it? I've heard mixed reports.

Yes. Works fine for me, and it is a lot better than using the white packing stuff!  Its quite hard.  I assume that there are no issues with deterioration over time.  I've had mine for a while now.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The first leg of the Buggleskelly branch - tunnel junction.  There is a change of ballast colour in the tunnel to the finer, darker shade of the station yard.  I've discovered recently that the plywood on foam method of adding levels has been used on U.S. layouts, so nothing is new. 

IMG_4265 (2).JPG

Edited by KymN
Format
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

And now for something completely different...  No it is not a mosquito with a moustache 😉

This is a little bit of South Australia, in H0, albeit somewhat anachronistic and geographically displaced.  'The Overland' was the first intercolonial train in Australia, an arrangement facilitated because the primary track gauge in both South Australia and neighbouring Victoria was the same - 5'3".  The carriages are the wooden-bodied 'E' cars, a Victorian design built in both the Newport (Victoria) and Islington (South Australia) shops.  Between to World Wars they carried the green livery seen here, and in a previous post. 

643888643_IMG_4289600classoverland(2).JPG.4e4f3c11284a1f6ea68085f0914d2786.JPG

The locomotive is a 600 class diesel-electric, seven of which were manufactured by AE Goodwin in NSW for the South Australian Railways, between 1965 and 1970.  The 600s are essentially the Alco DL-541 model.  Forty near-identical machines were built for the New South Wales Government Railways as their 45 class in 1962-64.  The green livery is that of the Australian National Railways (AN), formed in 1978 when the Commonwealth acquired the the impecunious South Australian country and Tasmanian railways to try and create a national system.  In the event the other states opted out until National Rail was formed in the early 90s.  The 600s were standard gauge, and never operated on the 5'3".   But I think that the AN livery goes well with the earlier green Overland cars, and is the only item that I own in my old company (AN) colours. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KymN said:

And now for something completely different...  No it is not a mosquito with a moustache 😉

This is a little bit of South Australia, in H0, albeit somewhat anachronistic and geographically displaced.  'The Overland' was the first intercolonial train in Australia, an arrangement facilitated because the primary track gauge in both South Australia and neighbouring Victoria was the same - 5'3".  The carriages are the wooden-bodied 'E' cars, a Victorian design built in both the Newport (Victoria) and Islington (South Australia) shops.  Between to World Wars they carried the green livery seen here, and in a previous post. 

643888643_IMG_4289600classoverland(2).JPG.4e4f3c11284a1f6ea68085f0914d2786.JPG

The locomotive is a 600 class diesel-electric, seven of which were manufactured by AE Goodwin in NSW for the South Australian Railways, between 1965 and 1970.  The 600s are essentially the Alco DL-541 model.  Forty near-identical machines were built for the New South Wales Government Railways as their 45 class in 1962-64.  The green livery is that of the Australian National Railways (AN), formed in 1978 when the Commonwealth acquired the the impecunious South Australian country and Tasmanian railways to try and create a national system.  In the event the other states opted out until National Rail was formed in the early 90s.  The 600s were standard gauge, and never operated on the 5'3".   But I think that the AN livery goes well with the earlier green Overland cars, and is the only item that I own in my old company (AN) colours. 

Nice looking layout you have there.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have got some work done on the layout over the past week or so, despite a few distractions.  The Buggleskelly station yard track is now laid. The 'Buggleskelly' name seems to have stuck, along with the buildings and a few wagons.  I have got a bit silly in my old age, but who cares - certainly not me.  The station building and signal box are excellent 3D prints of those that appeared in the 1937 film, thanks to Tom Marshall of Photogra-Fix.  Tom is also producing a kit for the 'other' star in the movie 'Gladstone', and of course I have an 00 version on order - thanks mate 🤪!  Check out 'Tom Marshall's Model Dioramas' on Facebook for details.

1137528324_IMG_4305(2).JPG.a8e34faa9ae257db0f055117ceaf9b01.JPG

1149290533_IMG_4307(2).JPG.d65da0a1d56d50329147385d05120fd3.JPG

I have used Tillig H0 track, matching the dual gauge loop line, although just plain H0 for the yard.  Tillig track looks good, and although it is H0, its open appearance helps assimilate into an 00 layout.  A recent Railway Modeller article made a similar comment.  However it is not as strong as Peco, and if you are ham-fisted like me, laying or wielding a soldering iron can do some damage.

1312465333_IMG_4308(2).JPG.26ea6086eababb886173eee98dfe7967.JPG

The next step is to link up the forest of dropper wires that populate the underside of the baseboard with the power bus.  I can install the switch machines then.  These are DCC Concepts, which work well with the Tillig points with no over-centre springs.  When I am confident that the wiring works I will ballast it and begin the scenery.  Buggleskelly is a small yard and has some curves that are fairly tight.  This will keep the train and stock sizes fairly modest relative to the upper (Fal Vale) level, but that suits it. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I realise that these pages have been very quiet of late.   That is because I have botched the dropper wire installation and created a fixed short circuit.  So now I have been reduced to unpicking the mess, getting more frustrated and confused.   Never mind.  I'll get there one day soon and can do the scenery around Buggleskelly yard.   That will be a task to be enjoyed, unlike this electrickery rubbish 🤪

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, KymN said:

I realise that these pages have been very quiet of late.   That is because I have botched the dropper wire installation and created a fixed short circuit.  So now I have been reduced to unpicking the mess, getting more frustrated and confused.   Never mind.  I'll get there one day soon and can do the scenery around Buggleskelly yard.   That will be a task to be enjoyed, unlike this electrickery rubbish 🤪

Been there. I’m sure you will get it sorted.

Cheers

Darius.

• Thanks 1

I have been working on the problem systematically, but progress had a real boost when St John Enodoc called into help out.  John is a friend from Sydney.  He had some spare time before the Adelaide BRMA Convention.  John found the likely source of the problem.  All I have to do is to patch up some of the wiring and wire the frogs, and I will be able to run trains into Buggleskelly 😃.  The effect on the loop line has also been cleared and I have run trains on it... just on the DC circuit, so I know it works without frying any chips.    Thank you so much John.   We also had a good chat, and John was able to have a look at Fal Vale and the odd collection of locomotives that I have assembled🤪, ignoring their lack of connection to Cornwall.  But they look pretty or, in the case of the Australian ones, are nostalgic.  I really enjoyed the day.

While John was here, a parcel of GWR Genesis coaches (+ the BR tool coach) arrived from Hattons.  These are lovely vehicles.  The finish is superb.

1683191983_IMG_4385(2).JPG.37d7684bdf0467a54a90cd726240bbdf.JPG

One other vehicle that has appeared recently is the Will Hay Turnbotham Round van - another Buggleskelly link!

93117389_IMG_4379(3).JPG.a4fb0d1da702d2981e24274a73cec7e4.JPG

I had been expecting some Accurascale Chaldron Waggons that left the UK at the same time, but no such luck.  

Anyway, it's the BRMA Convention for me tomorrow...

IMG_4383 (3).JPG

Edited by KymN
Spelling
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

The day at the BRMA Convention was wonderful.  Our keynote address was from Simon Kohler from Hornby.   His presentation was so personable, humorous and absolutely delightful.  It meant a lot to me - I have been in the corporate world - with the real railways.  Simon talked about the importance of the management team working together - in the same direction.   I know - that is a lesson that we all need to know.

And there were some wonderful local sessions.   We have some outstanding people.   But most of all, the friendship that exists and the importance of managing our legacy kept bubbling to the surface.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2022 at 17:04, KymN said:

I have been working on the problem systematically, but progress had a real boost when St John Enodoc called into help out.  John is a friend from Sydney.  He had some spare time before the Adelaide BRMA Convention.  John found the likely source of the problem.  All I have to do is to patch up some of the wiring and wire the frogs, and I will be able to run trains into Buggleskelly 😃.  The effect on the loop line has also been cleared and I have run trains on it... just on the DC circuit, so I know it works without frying any chips.    Thank you so much John.   We also had a good chat, and John was able to have a look at Fal Vale and the odd collection of locomotives that I have assembled🤪, ignoring their lack of connection to Cornwall.  But they look pretty or, in the case of the Australian ones, are nostalgic.  I really enjoyed the day.

While John was here, a parcel of GWR Genesis coaches (+ the BR tool coach) arrived from Hattons.  These are lovely vehicles.  The finish is superb.

1683191983_IMG_4385(2).JPG.37d7684bdf0467a54a90cd726240bbdf.JPG

One other vehicle that has appeared recently is the Will Hay Turnbotham Round van - another Buggleskelly link!

93117389_IMG_4379(3).JPG.a4fb0d1da702d2981e24274a73cec7e4.JPG

I had been expecting some Accurascale Chaldron Waggons that left the UK at the same time, but no such luck.  

Anyway, it's the BRMA Convention for me tomorrow...

IMG_4383 (3).JPG

My pleasure, Kym. I wish I were closer so that I could drop in more often. Glad you enjoyed the Convention too!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Chaldrons are now here. It is a bit odd to have wagons from the Northeast of the country running in the Southwest...behind a Kent and East Sussex Terrier, but this is a Rule #1 layout, and I like these cute little wagons.

1184700168_IMG_4405(2).JPG.af1ba2aedd4bc357f03e7b134020dca1.JPG

1535151962_IMG_4412(3).JPG.152e4356171b7e57e278f05c6a90710a.JPG

1107965111_IMG_4414(2).JPG.915f2686ac9d9d6d4c845287566a45f2.JPG

Another ring-in is the 21T steel Coal Wagon, which I think only ran in Scotland.  This is the Jenny Kirk version, but I also have a weathered set of 3.

1614398164_IMG_3948(2).JPG.c3427325dab09dc05087a925c8a4d820.JPG

A pleasant event this week was lunch with a bunch of people that I knew from my Adelaide University and railway industry days. We had lunch at the Loose Caboose Café in the re-purposed 1856 Bowden railway station building.  image.png.cb514b948047d3ad0b9526f458c66916.png The lunch was great.  The trains still operate over what was the original Port Adelaide line, albeit with DEMUs over track lowered to facilitate grade separation with a nearby busy road.   The only downside was that everyone is getting visibly old.  

IMG_4412 (3).JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, KymN said:

The Chaldrons are now here. It is a bit odd to have wagons from the Northeast of the country running in the Southwest...behind a Kent and East Sussex Terrier, but this is a Rule #1 layout, and I like these cute little wagons.

1184700168_IMG_4405(2).JPG.af1ba2aedd4bc357f03e7b134020dca1.JPG

1535151962_IMG_4412(3).JPG.152e4356171b7e57e278f05c6a90710a.JPG

1107965111_IMG_4414(2).JPG.915f2686ac9d9d6d4c845287566a45f2.JPG

Another ring-in is the 21T steel Coal Wagon, which I think only ran in Scotland.  This is the Jenny Kirk version, but I also have a weathered set of 3.

1614398164_IMG_3948(2).JPG.c3427325dab09dc05087a925c8a4d820.JPG

A pleasant event this week was lunch with a bunch of people that I knew from my Adelaide University and railway industry days. We had lunch at the Loose Caboose Café in the re-purposed 1856 Bowden railway station building.  image.png.cb514b948047d3ad0b9526f458c66916.png The lunch was great.  The trains still operate over what was the original Port Adelaide line, albeit with DEMUs over track lowered to facilitate grade separation with a nearby busy road.   The only downside was that everyone is getting visibly old.  

IMG_4412 (3).JPG

Well, Kym, I assume that the B in NCB stands for Buggleskelly, and that the C stands for Colliery, but what about the N?

• Round of applause 1

On 24/06/2022 at 18:48, KymN said:

I have been working on the branch line scenery - starting with the terrain.  This is being built up from the flat loop-line baseboard using two layers of 50mm XPS foamboard to create the upper level.  I cut the foam using my table saw to give clean cuts and angles, then shape the terrain with a hot wire cutter. 

The surface for the upper level track will be 6mm ply on top.  Further layers of foam, or possibly shaped wire mesh, will be added to create higher hills.  There will be a brook to fill the cut-out at the front.

578751616_IMG_4258(2).thumb.JPG.7d87a34258e28370f1425b340460f623.JPG

The lower (table-top) level of the loop-line will in tunnel at the rear and at the left hand (as seen by the operator) end, and most of the upper level will be as well.

357777052_IMG_4259(2).thumb.JPG.fb5396696b66965a366dd8f72029d538.JPG

There will be a short tunnel on the branch from the loop-line leading to the terminus.  This wasn't originally planned but I think that it will work better visually.  So the branch trains will run from the wharf station to enter the tunnel behind the gorge on the adjoining board. and re-emerge to run around the loop line, then branch off to the terminus. The area opposite the station is for the village between the hills and the brook.

1228764784_IMG_4261(2).thumb.JPG.fade4c04e780fd26e26a00de739b1b34.JPG

Hidden away at the higher level will be the junction to the Fiddle Yard to the left on the wall with the rack that can be seen in the pic.   At this stage the upper level junction is planned to be manually operated from the rear, but we shall see.  If point motors are used they will need to be on top of the boards because  access underneath is blocked by the foam. 

Having tried to explain this, I expect that a diagram might help! 😜 You might have to wait.  I did have a diagram when this was to be stand-alone, but lately it has been rather laissez-faire.

The purists among us may be disappointed that the branch terminus name is likely to stay as Buggleskelly.  As previously noted, I now have the model of Buggleskelly Station and signal box from Tom Marshall.

182501431_IMG_4257(2).thumb.JPG.bb6ece017c566b3a2dc1c68d96b7c6c0.JPG

As I have progressed with this project, it has become just a little less serious.  First I started to add SECR locos to the LSWR/SR fleet, then I began to add even odder machines.  But it is a hobby, meant to be a bit of fun, isn't it 😉😀 and, as I have said from the beginning, I was born in the colonies 🙃 so I don't have the sensitivities of an Englishman.  In the last week I found some lettering that I had made to add to a couple of 6-wheel tankers.  The label is for 'Buggleskelly Treacle Mines'.  Cornwall is the ideal place for such mines.  Next to a tin mine it can be brought to the surface already tinned 🤪.

You are making good progress, Kym, and I like your idea of having a bit of more whimsical fun. Don't forget the Cornish Clotted Cream mines too (shades of The Goodies!).

I don't always keep up with developments here, but then binge on all the posts I've missed to catch up again. I passed you a couple of times at the BRMA Convention in Adelaide, but didn't get the chance to talk.

I look forward to seeing more as you progress further.

Jeff

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, Kym, I assume that the B in NCB stands for Buggleskelly, and that the C stands for Colliery, but what about the N?

I'll need to work on that one...