GER 10T Goods Van announced!

Garethp8873

On 27/01/2022 at 23:54, jimwal said:

The GE van has headstocks as part of the body.

The chassis is held in place by small projections inside the body engaging in recesses in the edge of the floor. These can just be seen above the axleguard.

A knife blade or thin screwdriver blade worked in between the chassis and the inside edge of the side can be used to lever the side away and ease the chassis out.

The buffers don't need removing, they appear to be glued in.

GE van body removal

41 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The BR version of this van is now available.

That's good. Although I won't be getting mine straight way, as I've pre-ordered it with Hattons for delivery to their "trunk" storage service. £4 delivery seems a bit much for a model that costs less than £20 to buy, but once I've got my virtual mitts on one I can combine that with shipping for something else.

Finished this van tonight:

20220209_234119.jpg.85cb12f555f7c22c3eb09ae50076c295.jpg

It's a GER Dia.15 van by Mousa Models.

What's the relevance to the Oxford vans I hear you ask? Well aside from going well together as complimentary GER stock, the kit is actually for an unventilated version and upon learning the vents on the Oxford vans are a separately fitted part, I acquired an additional van to scavenge these for use on my Dia.15.

20220206_164845.jpg.17c2207d418012830e9c2b0d929f12c5.jpg

Like the vacuum fitted van I posted previously, it just adds a bit of variety to the collection. My next project is using the discarded components of that vacuum fitted conversion (so the banana van body and the morton braked chassis) to make up a non-ventilated version of these Oxford vans in GER Slate Grey.

Here is a preserved example at the Mid Suffolk:

IMG_20190818_153658.jpg.fd33a8e045272272d8126b4d2bad7209.jpg

- James

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

Hi all!

Looking to convert another of these vans to a vacuum fitted example but in the post-1912 livery with the large V lettering on the ends (in lieu of the red end panels used previously).

I am aware of the existence of this livery variation but I have never actually seen a photo of it and so wondered if anyone had a photo reference for this before I make a start on said project?

Many thanks 

James

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, jamesC37LG said:

Hi all!

Looking to convert another of these vans to a vacuum fitted example but in the post-1912 livery with the large V lettering on the ends (in lieu of the red end panels used previously).

I am aware of the existence of this livery variation but I have never actually seen a photo of it and so wondered if anyone had a photo reference for this before I make a start on said project?

Many thanks 

James

Hi James, not a photo but I saw a drawing of the livery here

https://igg.org.uk/rail/00-app2/lner/ger.htm

The page mentions some published sources but I don't know if the drawing is from one of those or not.

9 hours ago, Dominion said:

Hi James, not a photo but I saw a drawing of the livery here

https://igg.org.uk/rail/00-app2/lner/ger.htm

The page mentions some published sources but I don't know if the drawing is from one of those or not.

The link won't load but if it's what I think it is, that was their interpretation/their drawing as they have done similar for other companies. Thank you though!

- James

I had a pair of the GE livery vans turn up from Rails last week. Initial impressions are pretty good and I thought the 3 link couplings that are included are a nice tough. The brake gear error was noted and the springs look rather malnourished. I decided to see what was involved in converting one of them to P4 and I was rather surprised to find that a standard 26mm axle just fell between the W-Irons. I then measured the supplied wheel set and found that Oxford have decided on yet another axle length. 27.4mm this time!

That explains to me why the springs look underdone at least though I really am scratching my head at the reasoning behind such a long axle length. I am not sure exactly how I will resolve this now but I suspect that I will fit Gibson wheels to the Oxford axles. They are 2mm diameter at least.

Regards,

Craig W

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Craigw said:

I had a pair of the GE livery vans turn up from Rails last week. Initial impressions are pretty good and I thought the 3 link couplings that are included are a nice tough. The brake gear error was noted and the springs look rather malnourished. I decided to see what was involved in converting one of them to P4 and I was rather surprised to find that a standard 26mm axle just fell between the W-Irons. I then measured the supplied wheel set and found that Oxford have decided on yet another axle length. 27.4mm this time!

That explains to me why the springs look underdone at least though I really am scratching my head at the reasoning behind such a long axle length. I am not sure exactly how I will resolve this now but I suspect that I will fit Gibson wheels to the Oxford axles. They are 2mm diameter at least.

Regards,

Craig W

Still awaiting my BR-livery vans, though Gibson wheels fitted the axles just fine on the Oxford wagons I have re-wheeled (tanks).

I add a drop of superglue to be on the safe side, and had contemplated using the same stuff to add bearings and fit standard wheelsets. However, Oxford use a very slippery glue-proof plastic for their underframes, which is presumably why they run so freely!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Also waiting BR livery version, which seems to be taking a while given that Ox announced it released on the 9th. so I'm hoping Rails will come up with one for me during the week.  I'll probably not do much to it beyond a light weathering, and accept the minor issues with the brake gear.  I'll leave the wheels alone so long as they run properly, but the information about the compatibilty of the Ox axles and Gibson wheels is useful, since as Ox have used a longer axle on this model, simply replacing the wheelset will not work as the shorter axle of the replacement set will drop out unless the slack can be taken up with bearings, which I don't normally resort to on RTR stock that runs fine as it is.

Ox must be congratulated on the value for money aspect of this van; a reasonable comparison might be with Rails' GW Iron Mink, at £37 a pop; Rails have discounted the GE van to £14!  Think I'll stick with the Parkside...

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Craigw said:

I suspect that I will fit Gibson wheels to the Oxford axles. They are 2mm diameter at least.

I think that I saw on another thread that even that dimension wasn't 100% guaranteed. Not all 2mms are the same apparently.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Not far away - on the Banana Van thread.

( To be honest I don't know why there are two thread - they're much the same model ...... )

Because they are different?

Not even in the same LNER Wagons book. The GER vans are in the First Volume and the Banana Vans are in the LNER Volume.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting for the arrival of the BR liveried  version, not that I'm in a screaming rush and it'll turn up when it turns up. but it would have been nice to have it for my birthday, which is tomorrow.  Fingers, legs, eyes, arms, and  everything else crossed for next week, then...

Presumably the announcement on the 9th was either when the finished models were put in the container to come to the UK, or that they are here and are still being sorted and distributed to the dealers.  I'm not going to stress about it, its a van not a Bachmann 94xx...

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Still waiting for the arrival of the BR liveried  version,

They can't be far away as the NE version is also starting to appear in the shops and mine has been despatched.;)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

mine has been despatched.;)

Arrived and very nice it is too although I will be replacing the wheels with Gibson's. Those fitting Kadee No. 18 will need to replace the Oxford effort as there is too much slop in a straight fit. I used Hornby X 6354 without modification. It is very light but how to add weight to the interior without breaking it is another story.

DSCN8499.JPG.9b64c976dc828d209d6dc9e65daf2f0b.JPGDSCN8500.JPG.76c8b1573fc92a2dc0f911c4eba59e41.JPG

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Arrived and very nice it is too although I will be replacing the wheels with Gibson's. Those fitting Kadee No. 18 will need to replace the Oxford effort as there is too much slop in a straight fit. I used Hornby X 6354 without modification. It is very light but how to add weight to the interior without breaking it is another story.

DSCN8499.JPG.9b64c976dc828d209d6dc9e65daf2f0b.JPGDSCN8500.JPG.76c8b1573fc92a2dc0f911c4eba59e41.JPG

Body removal is really easy to do on these and so adding weight shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!

- James

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to know, thanks James.  My only other Oxford wagons are 7-plankers, and I am happy enough with them by and large, but I have the impression that they are lighter than the eqivalent Bachmanns, which makes them a bit skittish when they are being propelled unloaded.  I have added a bit of ballast beneath the floors, which is a bit of a shame because there is good detail down there but it makes little difference from a normal viewing angle.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Kadee 17s fit and close the gap usefully compared to 18s. I have been using them on the Oxford tankers too.

Edited by Dominion
Clarity
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Dominion said:

Kadee 17s fit and close the gap usefully compared to 18s. I have been using them on the Oxford tankers too.

On the tanks, I removed the NEM mount altogether, retapped the screw-hole to take a Kadee 2/56 screw and fitted #146 whisker couplers.

Very quick and easy to do, perfect alignment and much neater than anything that can be done with the NEM gubbins as all the bits you don't want to see are tucked up tight under the chassis.

I'm hoping to discover that Oxford have provided me with a similarly located opportunity on the vans, when my BR ones arrive...

John

P1060074erw.jpg

P1060072crw.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
Pix cropped
  • Like 5